Hollow Knight Discussion Topic (+ Memes for funsies)

Just now, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Anybody *cough* @Wyndlerunner *cough* got tips for Grimm, the first time you battle him?

Ok, so Grimm was a tricky boss for me to conquer, and one that took about an hour's worth of repeated attempts to best. 

The Hardest part about him, is both his speed, and the rather nasty requirement that you have to have Grimmchild equipped during the fight, essentially wasting 2 valuable charm notches. But, I recommend Dreamshield as a good option, along with Fragile/Unbreakable Strength, and Quick Slash. Learn his fight, and you will be able to conquer him. For example, whilst Grimm was incredibly difficult for me to beat the 1st time, I have been able to consistently beat him in the Pantheon of the Sage. (If I survive God Tamer that is)

51 minutes ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

That’s probably a good idea for now, though I do recommend exploring the city of tears some more if you have time, that place is huge, and has a bunch of stuff to get.

It truly is gigantic.

4 hours ago, Lord Furret said:

Ah, thanks,  I haven't gotten there yet. Also, where am I supposed to go after 

Hide contents

Meeting Hornet by the fountain in The City of Tears, I went to the temple and nothing happened, so for now I'm working on fighting the Mantis Lords.

So, in the city of tears, there is a sub-area called the Soul Sanctum, where you'll both fight a boss, and gain an ability that will allow you to get to the Crystal peaks.

8 minutes ago, Lord Furret said:

Thanks man, also can I just say, FREAKING LAAZZZERSSS WHYYyy

I understand your pain. I think at least 3 deaths of mine are due to lasers. However, I discovered late-game that you can actually destroy the lazer bugs with spell damage. So hope that makes things a bit safer. Also flipping platforms, those are annoying.

35 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

I understand your pain. I think at least 3 deaths of mine are due to lasers. However, I discovered late-game that you can actually destroy the lazer bugs with spell damage. So hope that makes things a bit safer. Also flipping platforms, those are annoying.

Oh wow that’s helpful. I didn’t find the flipping platforms bad, although I did 100% Celeste, so I might just be used to those.

1 minute ago, Lord Furret said:

No shame man, it’s a hard game and most people don’t have 2* hours to spend on each part of a level. Seriously, that game was insane!

Definitely. I think the reason that game stands out in particular among my favorites is the fact that the gameplay was founded on really simple mechanics, and the story was an emotional ride.

34 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Definitely. I think the reason that game stands out in particular among my favorites is the fact that the gameplay was founded on really simple mechanics, and the story was an emotional ride.

I loved Celeste! Such a great game!

If you liked Celeste, you might love the Celeste TAS runs. It's amazing just how much a computer can break the game through frame-perfect inputs (like jumping off of spikes, dashing through spikes, moving so fast the screen can't keep up, long chains of strawberries.) SGDQ's run in 2018 is here (though it's quite slow compared to today's standards :P).

2 hours ago, MetaTerminal said:

If you liked Celeste, you might love the Celeste TAS runs. It's amazing just how much a computer can break the game through frame-perfect inputs (like jumping off of spikes, dashing through spikes, moving so fast the screen can't keep up, long chains of strawberries.) SGDQ's run in 2018 is here (though it's quite slow compared to today's standards :P).

Dude, you're giving me White Palace PTSD...

(Spoilers)

Spoiler

Alright, so I just banished the Grimm Troupe, kinda sorta on purpose, but I didn’t know for sure what that would entail... I’m starting to regret it (maybe). What would have happened if I finished the Ritual? Or went for the flame in the Fungal Wastes instead of Deepnest?

16 minutes ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

(Spoilers)

Reveal hidden contents

Alright, so I just banished the Grimm Troupe, kinda sorta on purpose, but I didn’t know for sure what that would entail... I’m starting to regret it (maybe). What would have happened if I finished the Ritual? Or went for the flame in the Fungal Wastes instead of Deepnest?

So if you were to have finished the ritual, you would have had to face 

Spoiler

Nightmare King Grimm, who is regarded as one of the game's most difficult bosses. Upon his defeat, he would have upgraded Grimmchild one more time. By Banishing them, you also rob yourself of the chance to upgrade your fragile charms to their unbreakable variants. You also cannot re-summon them on that save file. You can choose any of the flames to collect that you wish.