Wax's Hemalurgic spikes

Aluminum

Question

10 answers to this question

SO it definitely is Hemalurgucally charged, but a quick search shows Brandon being cagey about what metal it is and what it is charged with.  that said, the charge would likely be very weak, so it's not clear that it would really confer much of a benefit other than as a conduit for communication with Harmony.

29 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

SO it definitely is Hemalurgucally charged, but a quick search shows Brandon being cagey about what metal it is and what it is charged with.  that said, the charge would likely be very weak, so it's not clear that it would really confer much of a benefit other than as a conduit for communication with Harmony.

What Dunkum said.  I doubt you can get much out of a spike that has endured several hundred years of hm decay.

6 minutes ago, Karger said:

What Dunkum said.  I doubt you can get much out of a spike that has endured several hundred years of hm decay.

plus, I wasn't able to 100% confrim this, but isnt it melted down and split off from an inquisitor spike?  so even if Harmony could/did somehow preserve the charge across the centuries, it is unlikely that the earring contains the entire Hemalurgic charge in the first place.  it is most likely only one piece of the original spike.  Meaning when you take that together with the hemalurgic decay, you end up with almost nothing left.

Per WOB Hemalurgic charge decays very rapidly over time, but it's not linear.  It works like half-life, in that there is theoretically a lot of loss in the first moments (which is why they minimize the time it's out of the body as much as possible when first created) but it never looses 100% of the charge.  And for the purposes of communicating to Ruin/Harmony, non-zero is all you need. 

Questioner

Hemalurgy spikes lose power after they are taken out of a body, right?  So why did Vin’s spike still give her power after being so long out of her ear?

Brandon Sanderson

They decay, but it's not a really fast decay. And it also kind of works like a half-life thing. Does that make sense?  So you get an initial just "that's bad" but that had happened to hers long ago when she had taken it out for the first time, right? And then over time, like if that had sat out for hundreds of years you're going to end up with something like Wax's earring that's like-- it gives a bit, but it barely gives anything. But as long as you're kind of keeping it in and out you're going to be a lot better off.

Shadows of Self release party (Oct. 5, 2015)

2 hours ago, Harrycrapper said:

I believe it was confirmed he was burning pewter in Alloy of Law in the final battle and I think he had the same earring from that book in SoS. He used that one on Bleeder though, and was given Vin's earring after but never wore it that I can recall. 

My head canon is that the earring spike Harmony originally passed along to Wax is for A-pewter, and then fueled that Allomantic power with the mists (like Preser-Vin-tion did for Elend outside the Pits of Hathsin). But only lightly, so that Wax never got the surprising realization/sensation of burning a new metal reserve the way Spook did when he was "blessed" with pewter by Ruin in Urteau. Whether that's because the spike is a fragment of the original spike, or because Harmony simply used a light touch (as is his M.O.), is unknown.

43 minutes ago, robardin said:

My head canon is that the earring spike Harmony originally passed along to Wax is for A-pewter, and then fueled that Allomantic power with the mists (like Preser-Vin-tion did for Elend outside the Pits of Hathsin). But only lightly, so that Wax never got the surprising realization/sensation of burning a new metal reserve the way Spook did when he was "blessed" with pewter by Ruin in Urteau. Whether that's because the spike is a fragment of the original spike, or because Harmony simply used a light touch (as is his M.O.), is unknown.

That is also what I assumed, it only happened when the mists were out.

On 6/27/2019 at 11:19 AM, Harrycrapper said:

I believe it was confirmed he was burning pewter in Alloy of Law in the final battle and I think he had the same earring from that book in SoS. He used that one on Bleeder though, and was given Vin's earring after but never wore it that I can recall. 

The one in BoM was Vin's. When did the kandra get that?