What's your favorite Cosmere book/series?

ODXT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Definitely Stormlight Archives.

I had bought the Mistborn Trilogy, started and stopped it, then went away for a bit.  Eventually I started The Way of Kings.  Fantastic, easily one of my favorite books in a long time.

I don’t read as quickly as I used to with a high stress job at the moment, but I liked WoK so much, I bought nearly all of Sanderson’s books.  I’m slowly reading them along with the rest of my massive TBR books.

Reckoners (mentioned above me in jest I think) . . .  I loved the first book.  The second and third progressively disappointed me. Great action scenes but it lacked the depth of what I got from Stormlight. Some of the characters I found flat.  It is an outlier so far, as I have absolutely no issues with anything in Stormlight so far with the exception of Lift, who I both like and am annoyed by at times depending on my mood.

Glad to have started reading Sanderson within the last few years.  He definitely deserves high praise and deserves his place among the top charts on places like Amazon (I was looking and he is #17 overall, that’s an accomplishment).

Edited by Lazarus_Rising

Final Empire is of high personal value for me, since it was the book that started the journey some 10 years ago. I'm very fond of it for that reason, although I do recognize that, not taking nostalgia into account, Words of Radiance is probably the Cosmere work that has had me in awe on the most constant basis. Brilliant book with really just a few tiny flaws, which basically never happens with me and books.

As a series, Stormlight Archive has probably overtaken the original Mistborn trilogy. Oathbringer was the key moment for that. I always saw Well of Ascension as a bit of a weak chain (comparatively) in the Mistborn trilogy. The Stormlight Archive doesn't have that.

• 4 weeks later...

It's always so good to see different people have different opinions and different books. Sanderson has created such a great scope in the fantasy genre that each person's favourite can change. I think it truly marks a great author, although his vast bibliography can prove that he is successful also.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone told me that Mistborn was the greatest magic system ever written. It delivered on that for me. Very nuanced and well thought out. But to be honest I found the story and characters much less compelling than Stormlight. Since I am more of a character and story kind of guy, Stormlight has to take the prize for me. Probably the best high fantasy work out there right now. Let's hope it does not fall off in quality like other mega series have tended to.