Ixthos

How you world build

31 posts in this topic

On 7/11/2019 at 1:54 PM, Ixthos said:

@Invocation You know, I don't think altered states of consciousness are actually that healthy for writing, whatever some famous artists might say ... :-P

That's what they want you to think!

On 7/11/2019 at 7:40 PM, Ax's Boyfriend said:

---?

Your idea for the intro/trigger notion of the magic was really cool :D

I've been reconsidering my approach to worldbuilding and I've been struck by a question. What even is the function of worldbuilding?

2 hours ago, Pagliacci said:

What even is the function of worldbuilding?

It's at least an exercise like conlanging... IDK I have built so many random worlds IDK what to do with them :P

3 hours ago, Pagliacci said:

What even is the function of worldbuilding?

My general opinion is that worldbuilding is simply a tool used to build a great story (which is why I tend to have a story prior to having the culture development to make that story happen). 

What I've realized over my years of reading and writing is that the more real something is, the more people connect to it and appreciate it. Because of this, we build worlds that could be real so that we can have a readable story that other people can connect with. If you don't build a world that makes sense to the story you're writing, you end up with something that seems half-hearted and isn't all that enjoyable to read.

Outside of those very real reasons about the function of world building, I will say that world build is a BLAST. So if nothing else, the function is to have fun! ;-)

@Pagliacci That is a very interesting question, and a very open ended one, as world building can be both an ends and a means.

What are your goals? To tell an interesting story? Then world building is a means to make a setting in which to tell it, and a means of enhancing the tale, by giving events weight, history, gravitas. To come up with a story? Then world building is a way to slosh ideas around and find a place in which to set it, and to guide it. To entertain yourself? Then world building is a means of expanding the field and giving it depth. To gain more understanding of existing cultures? Then world building is a method to explore hypothetical cultures, or to model existing ones and see possible ways they have or could have grown or touched one another. All of the above? Then world building is a tool with many uses.

As @Ripheus23 and @Xardan Ta'Caran have pointed out, its a means of making something of something with depth and value, and a method of exercise. It is a tool with many uses, and not all of them immediately obvious :-)

Edited by Ixthos
fight to find