Magic the Gathering

Peng the Just

I'm working on a MTG set based around the cosmere. It's still got a lot of work to go, but I'd appreciate some feedback on some of what I have so far.

1563566749553219.png1559768404498611.png1560812759292721.png

https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/jasonpenguin/sets/23691

I'm hoping for this to be a 360 card cube draft

Thanks to the following artists who have graciously allowed me to use their work for this project:

Art Spren

Ari Ibarra

Bonnie Johnson

Ashley Coad

Bernardo Curvello

Botanicaxu

Casta

Connor Chamberlain

DNAVENOM

Eleonor Piteira

Exmakina

FelCandy

Francis Goeltner

Gis Almeida

Grant M Hansen

HorizonProblems

Jan Sidoryk

JurassicPencil

Kelly Mai

Marie Seeberger

Lyraina

Madison Coyne

Shuravf

Sun-Dari

Treefin

Yen Shu Liao

I have preliminary art on some cards that I haven't yet obtained permission for, but I'm working on it.

Also thanks to the kind souls who have commented below and my IRL friends @Djarskublar, CPB, KLT, JNH, AMH for feedback and help

Edited by Peng the Just
added thanks and previews

It seems playable. I worry about AonDaa, 4 damage for 2 mana? Lightning bolt is 3 for the same price. I could never see someone using any of the land cards. Why can stick be sacrificed? It should be indestructible. :P At least give him an alternate win condition ability!  Eshoni's form ability is perfect. I would buff Taravagian a tad, perhaps scry three, and give him some an ability that sacrifices? Can I have Neargoul for my deck please? And I adore your Vin! Wonderful take on her abilities. Does Duralumin and copper have any effect other than tapping? Are there spiked creatures? Is spiked a token, a subclass, a race? Ruin is good but he needs a spiking ability, "Tap Ruin and pay three red mana: Take control of target creature until end of turn, give that creature a spike token." and "Tap Ruin and pay two colorless mana: Take control of target creature with a spike token until end of turn" Edit: Rock needs to be changed: Defender, reach, attack buffs, and "Whenever a creature dies Rock loses Defender"

On the less mechinacal side everything looks great and I think everything wonderfuly represents the abilities within the books. And the Kalad's Phantoms art! The best part of the set! :P

Edited by Butt Ad Venture

13 hours ago, Butt Ad Venture said:

It seems playable. I worry about AonDaa, 4 damage for 2 mana? Lightning bolt is 3 for the same price.

Lightning bolt is only {R}, but also an incredibly powerful card. I might increase Aon Daa to {2}{r} and make it an instant

I could never see someone using any of the land cards.

This is intended to be a draft, I should have mentioned that initially. Since there will be many two color cards, I wanted to make sure that it was possible to make mana bases that would support them. The three color lands are in that vein. I also really don't feel that they are that weak, compare City of Brass and Mana confluence, both of which see lots of competitive play. As for the mono colored lands, I'm actually worried about them being too powerful. Compare the deserts from Ahmonket block, which required you to sacrifice them. ramunap ruins had to be banned in standard.

Why can stick be sacrificed? It should be indestructible. :P At least give him an alternate win condition ability! 

I tried for the flavor that you're trying to make it into fire, but might not succeed.

I would buff Taravagian a tad, perhaps scry three, and give him some an ability that sacrifices?

He's only two mana. Let's not get too crazy ;) I'll play him and see if he needs a power up.

Does Duralumin and copper have any effect other than tapping? Are there spiked creatures? Is spiked a token, a subclass, a race?

Spiked is a creature type I'm using. See Tensoon, Human, Spook and Koloss army. There will also likely be two inquisitor cards.

Ruin is good but he needs a spiking ability, "Tap Ruin and pay three red mana: Take control of target creature until end of turn, give that creature a spike token." and "Tap Ruin and pay two colorless mana: Take control of target creature with a spike token until end of turn"

Tapping abilities don't go on enchantments. I'll think about adding some spiking interaction to that card.

Edit: Rock needs to be changed: Defender, reach, attack buffs, and "Whenever a creature dies Rock loses Defender"

Rock's design was supposed to simply reflect his reluctance to participate in combat, but I might end up changing him to be more as you describe. We'll see. I don't want all the cards to have big blocks of rules text or no one will want to play with me. :P 

It seems playable. ... Eshoni's form ability is perfect. ... Can I have Neargoul for my deck please? And I adore your Vin! Wonderful take on her abilities. ...

On the less mechinacal side everything looks great and I think everything wonderfuly represents the abilities within the books. And the Kalad's Phantoms art! The best part of the set! :P

Thanks for the kind words! I'm commissioning art for Kalad's Phantoms, so that's a placeholder done by yours truly. What can I say? I have a gift.

1 hour ago, Peng the Just said:

Tapping abilities don't go on enchantments. I'll think about adding some spiking interaction to that card.

I thought it was an enchantment creature. It makes more sense now. Perhaps a +2 +0 boost for spiked creatures would work? Plus some way to add spiked to a creature?

This is intended to be a draft, I should have mentioned that initially.

Ah, I don't play draft much, well not at all, but I understand enough and the lands make much more sense in that context.

Spiked is a creature type I'm using. See Tensoon, Human, Spook and Koloss army. There will also likely be two inquisitor cards.

Tensoon isn't a spiked creature.

. I don't want all the cards to have big blocks of rules text or no one will want to play with me. :P 

Well there is a lot of flavor text on some cards...:P

Warbreaker's card should say "Until the start" or "until the end of your next turn"

Finally, should the Lift card say Unblockable instead of Unblocked?

Edited by Butt Ad Venture

1 hour ago, Butt Ad Venture said:

Tensoon isn't a spiked creature.

Whoops! fixed that.

Warbreaker's card should say "Until the start" or "until the end of your next turn"

"Until your next turn" is verbiage that is used in situation like this. See Jace, Architect of Thought and Chronomantic Escape

Finally, should the Lift card say Unblockable instead of Unblocked?

As it's designed, no. It currently is meant to work that you play the ability after blocks are declared.

However, the very fact that this is confusing to you makes me think I want to change it to be more clear. I should also probably move the ability into blue.

• 2 weeks later...

great job!

kaladin should only get buffed and tapped when a creature you control dies, not when any creature dies. also, i think he regenerates too cheap.

eshoni should be eshonai. also, i think forcing her to spend a full turn to change form is too punitive. either she could do it faster, or she may cost 1 less

coppercloud would be better off as "you or target creature you control gain hexproof until end of turn". the effect is basically the same.

I like amaram. his ability is virtually useless, but so fitting!

If shardblade gives deathtouch, shardplate should give the ability to ignore deathtouch as well.

ashertmarn is way too strong. it kills one artifact or enchantment every turn, and it only costs 2.

2 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

great job!

kaladin should only get buffed and tapped when a creature you control dies, not when any creature dies. also, i think he regenerates too cheap.

I went back and forth on any creature or only one you control. I choose any creature because he seems to get mopey about any and all death on any side, but it still may change. I’ll likely add {1} to his regeneration cost.

eshoni should be eshonai. also, i think forcing her to spend a full turn to change form is too punitive. either she could do it faster, or she may cost 1 less

I’ll fix spelling on her tomorrow. I’ll also probably change her cost to {2}{u}{r} and change her base stats to 2/3 and her warform boost to +3/+1.

coppercloud would be better off as "you or target creature you control gain hexproof until end of turn". the effect is basically the same.

That is better formatting.

I like amaram. his ability is virtually useless, but so fitting!

I may give amaram a keyword ability to ensure he sees some play. Leaning towards haste right now. I also have a couple more ideas for equipment I plan to include (glass daggers and a shardhammer would be fun)

If shardblade gives deathtouch, shardplate should give the ability to ignore deathtouch as well

Love it

ashertmarn is way too strong. it kills one artifact or enchantment every turn, and it only costs 2.

Agree to disagree until I can do some playtesting. Notice the ability is not optional. Once it has gone through your opponents stuff, it doesn’t stop. I might take away the ETB effect though.

1 hour ago, Aluminum said:

Basically everything in this deck seems overpowered to me but I mostly play older cards so maybe it's just the power creep. I do think Sazed should be a 2/3. Right now his feruchemy feels a little bit weak. 

The cards are designed to be powerful, but not game breaking. I have a friend with a cube and I’m trying to aim for a similar power level. I was looking at changing sazed just yesterday, actually. I think I’ll make it so he doesn’t have to tap to activate it.

4 hours ago, Peng the Just said:

Thanks for the kind words! In a couple of months, I'm gonna need some volunteers to help playtest in the utah valley area.

Hmmmm, is it worth flying down just to do this? By the way, I love the set so far. At first, I was going to comment on how insanely op the Stormfather card was. Turns out I misread it, and it says “at the beginning of your end step” instead of “at the beginning of your turn.” 

24 minutes ago, continuumg said:

Kenton has the option to gain either +1/-1 or +1/-1...

Whoops! fixed now.

2 minutes ago, ILuvHats said:

Hmmmm, is it worth flying down just to do this? By the way, I love the set so far. At first, I was going to comment on how insanely op the Stormfather card was. Turns out I misread it, and it says “at the beginning of your end step” instead of “at the beginning of your turn.” 

I mean, I don't think it's worth flying out for this. But so you know I plan to bring this to all future Sanderson releases once I get it done, so if you ever are around for one of those, I'd love to play with them with you. In regards to your comment on the stormfather card, yeah, it's not too broken, but it's also far from my favorite card I've designed. The idea is that it recharges spheres (the untapping) and forces people to hunker down (tapping), but I might completely change it if I can come up with something better. It doesn't seem to me like it results in the best gamplay, though it would still find a home in a control deck. We'll see.

Unleash the Larkin is ridiculously cheap. An unconditional counter for 3 mana that spawns a flying token? I'd at least make it "Counter target non-creature spell" and increase the cost by 2 or introduce a "unless the player pays 2.".

On Lighteyed Practice Ground and other land cards it should be "add R to your mana pool" not just "add R".

(please change the creature type "bird" to "chicken" i beg you)

Shardplate seems rather weak considering its canon power, especially contrasted to the strong bonus your Shardblade gives.

Stormfather would be hell in multiplayer but in a good way!

Basic lashing, Influx of Stormlight, Frost, Awaken, Defend the tower, Mists of the Night are all too cheap for the power they bring.

Odium's Champion and I think a few other "take control" cards have no time limit attached to them. 2 mana to take control of the most powerful creature, forever?

Denth and Jasnah are really good! And Amaram lmao. Generally from what I can tell it's pretty good.

5 hours ago, ardrel said:

Unleash the Larkin is ridiculously cheap. An unconditional counter for 3 mana that spawns a flying token? I'd at least make it "Counter target non-creature spell" and increase the cost by 2 or introduce a "unless the player pays 2.".

I have nerfed this one slightly. It's now a mana leak + a creature.

On Lighteyed Practice Ground and other land cards it should be "add R to your mana pool" not just "add R".

This changed with Dominaria. The new formatting is reflected in my cards.

(please change the creature type "bird" to "chicken" i beg you)

LOL

Shardplate seems rather weak considering its canon power, especially contrasted to the strong bonus your Shardblade gives..

Hmm... I've gone ahead and given this a slight boost.

Basic lashing, Influx of Stormlight, Frost, Awaken, Defend the tower, Mists of the Night are all too cheap for the power they bring.

Basic lashing should be OK. Compare Skyshaper. Frost has been nerfed. Awaken should be good, compare ensoul artifact . I actually disagree about defend the tower, but I don't have a better reference point than holy day. Mists of the night isn't that crazy. Compare righteous charge.

Odium's Champion and I think a few other "take control" cards have no time limit attached to them. 2 mana to take control of the most powerful creature, forever?

Scud. Fixed on the champion and checked elsewhere. I didn't see the issue elsewhere, but I could be forgetting a card. Thanks.

Denth and Jasnah are really good! And Amaram lmao. Generally from what I can tell it's pretty good.

Thanks for the kind words and all of your feedback! I know I didn't change everything you suggested, but I still really appreciate you taking the time and effort to make suggestions.

32 minutes ago, Peng the Just said:

Thanks for the kind words and all of your feedback! I know I didn't change everything you suggested, but I still really appreciate you taking the time and effort to make suggestions.

It is your deck, and I am not as Invested in MtG as I once was. Always happy to give feedback, I had fun looking through the cards :D

• 2 weeks later...

Some of your more recent card took a definite turn towards overpowered.

chouta gives a +1/+2 to all creatures for a total cost of 2. effect is slightly weaker than inspired charge, that gives +2/+1 and cost 4. you have to play it in advance, so the opponent can see you have it, but on the other hand it cannot be counterspelled once it's on the ground. it resembles pride of conquerors, that gives +2/+2 for the same cost if you have city blessing. strong, but ok.

warcamp prison does almost the same thing as lawmage binding, and it costs 1 less mana.

hoid's counsel, I've seen cards do the same that cost 4.

navani's rage, i don't think the swap from instant to sorcery is enough to reduce the price of lightning bolt from 2 to 1.

the weeping seems stronger than sleep because you can cast directly after the opponent's untap phase. if it was a sorcery i'd have no problems with it.

liss... costs 2, and with 2 mana can destroy any creature? way too cheap as a mechanism of removal requiring no cards. especially since a 1/1 deathtouch is still a useful blocker on its own.

the stump: costs 1 and by simply being tapped can stop any removal. and it's already a 1/2.

brightlord seems too cheap for what it does

for lord ruler, it's a bit too easy to trigger its condition for hexproof and indestructible.

vial of metals, i'd be more comfortable if there was a limit of charge expenditure. as it is, it becomes almost impossible to block the creature without losing something.

karata does the same thing as mentor of the meek, but cheaper.

atium gambit does the same thing as murder, but it's cheaper even before its cost reduction clause.

the bands of mourning,  on the other hand, are very underwhelming. if nothing else, they should also give indestructible

14 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

Some of your more recent card took a definite turn towards overpowered.

chouta gives a +1/+2 to all creatures for a total cost of 2. effect is slightly weaker than inspired charge, that gives +2/+1 and cost 4. you have to play it in advance, so the opponent can see you have it, but on the other hand it cannot be counterspelled once it's on the ground. it resembles pride of conquerors, that gives +2/+2 for the same cost if you have city blessing. strong, but ok.

Compare charge

warcamp prison does almost the same thing as lawmage binding, and it costs 1 less mana.

yup, but lawmage binding is a fairly week card and this cube is supposed to be at a higher power level. Arrest sees very little play and doesn't have the restrictive two color cost. I don't think this one will be too strong. It might be too strong for a standard environment, but I'm not designing for standard.

hoid's counsel, I've seen cards do the same that cost 4.

Many cubes run Demonic Tutor which costs 2. This costs 1 more than that to let you have it as an instant.

navani's rage, i don't think the swap from instant to sorcery is enough to reduce the price of lightning bolt from 2 to 1.

I think you're mistaken? Lightning bolt costs {r} and is an instant.

the weeping seems stronger than sleep because you can cast directly after the opponent's untap phase. if it was a sorcery i'd have no problems with it.

Compare cryptic command. Sleep is definitely below the power level I plan for the set.

liss... costs 2, and with 2 mana can destroy any creature? way too cheap as a mechanism of removal requiring no cards. especially since a 1/1 deathtouch is still a useful blocker on its own.

I go back and forth on how I feel about this one. Keep in mind that you have to find a way to tap her, presumably attacking, for her ability to do anything. I'm gonna leave it as is for now, but I definitely will keep on eye on her during playtesting.

the stump: costs 1 and by simply being tapped can stop any removal. and it's already a 1/2.

Many cubes run mother of runes, which I consider to be above the power level I'm looking for. The stump is a somewhat nerfed version of that, plus I like that she protects the small creatures, like how she runes an orphanage. I'll watch her during testing. If she needs a nerf, I'll probably change it from "3 or less" to "2 or less."

brightlord seems too cheap for what it does

Removed "trample." Should still feel powerful like that.

for lord ruler, it's a bit too easy to trigger its condition for hexproof and indestructible.

compare angelic overseer. I think this card would positively break standard, but I'm not too worried about it here.

vial of metals, i'd be more comfortable if there was a limit of charge expenditure. as it is, it becomes almost impossible to block the creature without losing something.

two mana for +4/+4 isn't game breaking IMO. Titanic growth is in standard in almost perpetuity as sees almost no play outside of the the occasional infect deck. Vines of Vastwood  has that and also a conditional counterspell.

karata does the same thing as mentor of the meek, but cheaper.

That's exactly what she is designed to be ;). Notice her P/T is worse though. Your advice did inspire me to dock a toughness point.

the bands of mourning,  on the other hand, are very underwhelming. if nothing else, they should also give indestructible

Added, if only for flavor. The combination of just hexproof, first strike and deathtouch is powerful protection.

Thanks so much for all your feedback, even if I don't adjust everything based on it, I really appreciate seeing what other people think are under or over powered. 

Edited by Peng the Just

s ago, Peng the Just said:

Many cubes run Demonic Tutor which costs 2. This costs 1 more than that to let you have it as an instant.I

demonic tutor is banned in legacyand restricted in vintage. I think a banned card is not a good comparison.

I was basing myself on the legal equivalent, diabolic tutor

think you're mistaken? Lightning bolt costs {r} and is an instant.

lightning bolt is not restricted, but it is an early printed, very powerful card. if they stopped printing it and instead printed shock, which deals 2 damage with everything else being the same, it's because it was well above the power curve. alpha cards are also not a good comparison for power

I go back and forth on how I feel about this one. Keep in mind that you have to find a way to tap her, presumably attacking, for her ability to do anything.

that's not what it does at all. it's written "pay 2, tap: destroy target creature".

For the card to do what you said, it should be "whenever liss becomes tapped, you may pay 2: if you do, destroy target creature". and it would still be quite powerful, but presumably if you attack with it the opponent could kill it, so it would be on par with the ravenous chupacabra.

I concede your points for everything else