Naming a type of magic user

artiestroke

So, I've got a kind of "Fallout except in a world of magic" type of story going on, where magic is done via a language who's pronunciation has been lost but the symbols are still known and effective for casting spells- with the main magic users being people who study the grammar of this language to figure out how to combine the correct combination of words to make the magic go. Very much a "magic as a computer coding language" type system.

Brandon's made some very excellent names for his magic systems and magic users, and his talk of "taking two words and mashing them together" has definite merit- the three metallic arts, biochroma, shard-whatevers. I just can't for the life of me figure out a combination that actually LOOKS good- some kind of combination of coder or scribe with glyph or rune? Maybe use enchantment as a base word? I'm just stumped. 

Why not say that the actual pronunciation of the method has been lost along with the language.  As such the method could have a verity to names depending on what people use it for and how they use it. 

15 minutes ago, Karger said:

Why not say that the actual pronunciation of the method has been lost along with the language.  As such the method could have a verity to names depending on what people use it for and how they use it. 

Mostly because, due to the loss of the verbal component, the magic really only “works” in one way- find a valid phrase (kind of like awakening except written), carve it onto an item, channel ambient energy either through yourself (dangerous) or through a stored battery (safer) to produce the spell effect. I’m just looking for a name that carries the concept of “writing down magic words” in a more elegant package. Figuring out one name is hard enough X,D

9 minutes ago, artiestroke said:

Mostly because, due to the loss of the verbal component, the magic really only “works” in one way- find a valid phrase (kind of like awakening except written), carve it onto an item, channel ambient energy either through yourself (dangerous) or through a stored battery (safer) to produce the spell effect. I’m just looking for a name that carries the concept of “writing down magic words” in a more elegant package. Figuring out one name is hard enough X,D

You could just use the word spelling or incantating.  You could translate a word from another language like the Latin carmen which means something similar.

5 hours ago, Karger said:

You could just use the word spelling or incantating.  You could translate a word from another language like the Latin carmen which means something similar.

I think I’ve finally settle on Scripturgy as the name of the magic, and Scripturgist as a practitioner- Latin is so useful 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...