The Prophecies

Truthless of Shinovar

They were planted by Preservation way back when.

Chaos

How were the Terris Prophecies created in the first place? Every other magic related thing is quite logically explained in terms of Ruin and Preservation, except that one.

Brandon Sanderson

The Terris prophecies were created by Preservation before he attempted his imprisonment. He knew that he wouldn't be able to do much for the world after he did what he did, and he foresaw a LOT of what was to come.

Hero of Ages Q&A - Time Waster's Guide (Oct. 15, 2008)

41 minutes ago, Etherealness said:

But how were they transmitted/received? dream? divine word coming from the sky?

They Hoid it through the grapevine.

(haha, only serious: this is a real fan theory...)

I think for now all we know is that the prophecies were part of Preservations plans and told through foresight. I think the closest we've gotten is that Preservation gave the prophecies to the Terris people and the First Generation of Kandra

35 minutes ago, Wandering Investor said:

Not sure how Preservation would have communicated it. We know he told them the prophecies and also how to get feruchemy, but no world on the method of communication that I'm aware of. Might just be really dedicated mind whispering, similar to what Vin did.

I believe Ruin can speak to people, Preservation can listen, and Harmony can of course do both.

1 hour ago, Etherealness said:

I believe Ruin can speak to people, Preservation can listen, and Harmony can of course do both.

2 hours ago, Wandering Investor said:

Not sure how Preservation would have communicated it. We know he told them the prophecies and also how to get feruchemy, but no world on the method of communication that I'm aware of. Might just be really dedicated mind whispering, similar to what Vin did.

There's no particular reason why, with his mind whole, he can't just create a physical manifestation of himself and simply talk to someone. He was able to make himself seen and semi-heard when he was barely sapient any more, as the mist spirit, after all.

26 minutes ago, RShara said:

There's no particular reason why, with his mind whole, he can't just create a physical manifestation of himself and simply talk to someone. He was able to make himself seen and semi-heard when he was barely sapient any more, as the mist spirit, after all.

At that time, Ruin was both free and more powerful. So a physical avatar isn't impossible, but would require Ruin to be focusing on other things.

This was long before their conflict really escalated, and not long after their "deal" so I don't think Ruin was watching as closely or quite so enimical toward Preservation at the time. Remember that Ati used to be a pretty nice and kind guy.

Edited by RShara

9 hours ago, RShara said:

This was long before their conflict really escalated, and not long after their "deal" so I don't think Ruin was watching as closely or quite so enimical toward Preservation at the time. Remember that Ati used to be a pretty nice and kind guy.

But wasn't that before he ascended and after he ascended was warped by the power?

From the first letter:

Ati was once a kind and generous man, and you saw what became of him

1 hour ago, Etherealness said:

But wasn't that before he ascended and after he ascended was warped by the power?

The corruption likely took time.  Think of it as a battle of wills between shardic intent and human nature.  The intent is unchanging and constant but human will is not so eventually the shard wins but this may take a great deal of time.

3 hours ago, Etherealness said:

As Karger said, it would have taken some time. In the beginning, it seemed more a partnership than a conflict. They worked together to create the entire planet and all the life on it, after all. Plus humans. Ruin probably was still pretty friendly with Preservation up till Pres locked him away.

It's notable, too, that Ruin in HOA comes across kind of somber, 'it is the world's time to die' kind of thing. He talks like he doesn't really understand why people don't just accept the end of the world and stop fighting it, it's just the natural way of things, and so on.

I think that's the last remnant of what was good in him. Ultimately the pressure of the Shard would warp him into someone who will destroy, no matter what. But since Ati was inherently originally a good person, he ends up seeing destruction as 'good' or at least neutral/inevitable/natural.

• Chaos locked this topic