Wheel of Time - TV Show

Wander89

Mat said the thing. We just need a braid tugging and we'll all rest easy.

Spoiler

They're laying on the politics early. I've heard a lot of the "slog" is politics so maybe they're trying to smooth out that part? Either way it makes for really interesting conversations. 

Loial is perfect. He's way too small but I guess a small physical Loial is better than a big cgi Loial.

I'm loving Lan. Does he ever get so upset in the books? I'm just in book 5 but so far and to this moment they keep making a point that him straining his features ever so slightly means he's freaking out. So seeing him now like this was both unexpected and welcome.

And we have the golden eyes, Light, Perrin is awesome.

So far this is a very interesting experience. It's a weird mix between knowing exactly what will happen while having no idea what will happen. I'm really enjoying the result.

Okay. I know some people are really disappointed with this show. But I think they are doing a fantastic job developing the characters and really nailing the spirit of their full stories in such a small amount of time. The set-up is absolutely there for each of their future arcs. It is so good. 

Spoiler

The way Egwene ended up sneaky channeling Perrin free works for me to show how she is clever and cunning which she needs to be later as she deals with tower politics. And Nynaeve’s story about how she didn’t break. 

I think Perrin’s set up has been so good all along. The white cloaks have been portrayed so true to how they felt in the books. They are terrifying. And Perrin confronting them will be so satisfying. The yellow eyes was fantastic too. 

I’m okay with them moving some of Mat and Rand’s plot points to the White City. I was surprised with the month time skip, but I think the streamlining works well for now.

Nynaeve, Moiraine, and Lan continue to be fantastic. 

Will someone help me see if there was a plot hole in this episode though. 

Spoiler

When Loial brings Nynaeve back it was confusing as to how they would have known to find each other. It seemed for a bit like Rand had described her and asked him to look for them? But they didn’t know she was alive yet. Did he describe Egwene with the braid and Nynaeve happened to fit the description too? What did I miss there?

I want to talk about the one thing that has really bugged me so far and pulled me out of the story and that was back in episode 3. 

Spoiler

How hard do you have to throw a knife to get it to go some distance and then pass through layers of skin, fat, muscle, and bone… but mostly bone… because that knife through the neck was jarring. I’m not convinced it is humanly possible. But I’m also not a knife throwing expert so I could be wrong. I do know that I do have a hard time stomaching violence like that. If anything puts me off the show it will be those moments that to me feel overly graphic. Like I can handle battles. Nothing in episode 4 bugged me. The bleeding out didn’t bother me. But those moments of really intense violence like the knife through the neck or Valda cutting off the Aes Sedai hands can be a bit much for me. And I feel like it doesn’t have to be that intense to still do what needs to be done for the story. 

On 12/3/2021 at 5:31 PM, Ookla the Scarecrow said:

We just need a braid tugging and we'll all rest easy.

We got one at the beginning of the episode! We also got a skirt smoothing!

Spoiler

During the funeral Nynaeve tugs her braid. IIRC, when talking with Rand about Egwene, Nynaeve smooths her skirt.

Also about Loial finding that person:

Spoiler

I assumed Rand has asked about a girl near his age who had a braid, but never gave a name, like how he asked about Egwene in the same way back in Episode 3. Nynaeve happens to fit those descriptions as well, and so Loial thought they were one and the same. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

Episode 5 spoilers

Spoiler

Someone tell me that I'm not the only one who beat my chest along with the show during Stepin's funeral

Because if not, then I am even more of a nerd than I previously thought. And I find that I am okay with that.

Episode 6 spoilers (And spoilers for the rest of the series too)

Spoiler

Well, this episode was absolute garbage. I'll go from minor nitpicks to major stuff.

Aes Sedai? Crying? Moraine using unofficial language while swearing on the oath rod in public that could easily give away her and Siuane's relationship? For that matter, why were they using the oath rod? Moraine cannot lie, so a simple oath from her would have been enough. Was it just to explain to new viewers who haven't read the books what the oath rod is?

Is Mat fully healed of the Shadar Logoth dagger now? I haven't read the books in a while, so correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it take Suian and a circle, using Vora's sa'angreal to heal him? I know Moraine healed him partially in book one, but the way they worded it seemed like he was healed for good.

Is Nyneave stronger than Logain? I guess it's a little ambiguous, but they had that whole moment with Logain being shocked at her weaves in episode 4, and now they called her the most powerful channeler they've ever seen. Please tell me I'm wrong, but it sounds like Logain is being downgraded.

Did I miss something? Did Moraine and Suian have a relationship in the books? Is Suiane just going to die now? How the heck will this affect their relationships with Thom and Gareth Bryne?

Why does Moraine have a ter'angreal that allows travelling? Why would Suiane just leave it in Moraine's room? Why wouldn't she put it to use, or study it to rediscover travelling? Like, if you have the SMALLEST CHANCE of rediscovering travelling, why would you waste the ter'angreal by leaving it hung up in Moraine's room so that she can visit you in secret. Beyond that, couldn't someone notice that the amyrlin seat and Moraine have the same fancy portrait thing hanging up on their walls? Couldn't that give away their relationship?

WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE WAYS?!?!?!?! Moraine needed the ONE POWER to open them. Let that sink in. The ways, which were made specifically for the ogier to use to travel safely in between steddings, require use of the ONE POWER to open. That means that the ogier cannot use the ways. That means that Loial should have no knowledge of the ways. That means Loial should be unable to guide them through the ways. That means Loial should be utterly useless aside from characterizing people. Will he be useless? No. Loial will still be the only one in the group who can read the guidings that are for some reason written in ogier script despite ogier being completely unable to use the ways without help.

I liked the previous episodes. They were pretty good, and I was okay with the changes. This one was hot garbage. It's like they started by following the book pretty well, not making any huge changes that went against the spirit of the book, but when they were writing the script of this episode, they couldn't find the book, and just went "Ehh, I didn't need that thing anyways. Aes Sedai showing emotion in public, especially the Amyrlin seat, is normal right? It's not like Moraine felt all of Lan's pain at losing a friend to suicide and only shed a few tears while partaking in a public grieving ceremony. This is roughly similar to that in terms of emotional impact, right? And it's not like she can control her emotions. Don't be silly. No one could keep from crying when their lover they barely ever see banishes them from the tower until that same lover decides to unbanish her. That's ridiculous."

Couldn't agree more Ookla. Show moved to fast for me and this last episode killed it... I understand that everyone working on the show says "its a different turning of the wheel" but that is starting to feel like an excuse for mistakes rather then a thoughtful representation of the books we enjoy. Changes are creating plot holes and issues with the lore of the world and thats not ok.

I've enjoyed hearing everybody's thoughts on the wheel of time and would like to share my as well. Book Spoilers and show spoilers up to episode 6. 

Spoiler

I've watched the episodes with my wife who has not read the books and its been interesting to see her reactions. I'll mention some of my reactions as well as hers. 

Reaction 1. There are 5 people considered to be the new dragon reborn. I was a little upset with what you loose by including women in the conversation as a possible dragon reborn. Not trying to sound sexist, but if there is a chance that the dragon reborn is a girl, then that is just what we should hope for. The reason that people are scared of a dragon reborn is because he will go crazy. From my wife's perspective though it doesn't really matter. What it has done for her is keep her in the dark as to who is the dragon reborn. She has suspicions of Nynaeve and Matt, possibly Rand but its a mystery, which I think was the intent of the producers. Because Perrin's association with the wolves shows up early it's easy to cross him off and Egwene doesn't exhibit things that make it seem like her. It's been fun to see my wife still in the dark and guessing who it is.   

Reaction 2. Perrin killing his wife. I was shocked at first, but it shows the berserker rage that he's trying to control and I guess it makes sense. We don't have the scene with the whitecloaks where he kills them. I was shocked when Egwene stabbed/killed? Valda. Is he dead? They do instill a good representation of the white cloaks with what they've done so far.  

Reaction 3 Moraine being able to travel or travel into the world of dreams. Not sure why this happened. Takes away from the discoveries of others later on. Maybe it's to show that she is super powerful?

Reaction 4. The Ways being opened by Moraine. My wife asked me if the Aes Sedai are just all powerful and everybody else sort of just exists behind them and to a degree that is true, but things like this take away the helpfulness of other characters imo. 

Reaction 5. It's a very dark show. Lots of blood and gore and I'm honestly worried about what will happen when we get to Dumai's Well... 

Reaction  6. Intimacy between Rand and Egwene and Suain and Moraine. Does there need to be intimacy between two characters to show that they have a past relationship/friendship? Where does this leave them in regards to Gareth Bryne and Thom?  I assume they are trying to show that suain and moraine are in kahoots but I feel like this ruins a couple of latter things for the future just to solve a problem now. It felt like an easy way out for sure without adding much to the story. 

Reaction 7 Skipping alot of travel time and politics. I think that this is good for the most part. I don't think we should try to get everything from the books in the series, but stick to the main ideas. It feels like there are a couple of things they've done that miss the main ideas but as a reader of the books the misses hurt worse than when the get things right. Not sure how the rest of the series will go but maybe starting to worry.  

A couple of my reactions are similar to Ookla the unintelligible. Maybe it's book reader thing? 

Edited by Ookla the Shinwarrior

On 12/10/2021 at 10:01 PM, Ookla the unintelligible said:

Episode 6 spoilers (And spoilers for the rest of the series too)

Reveal hidden contents

Well, this episode was absolute garbage. I'll go from minor nitpicks to major stuff.

Aes Sedai? Crying? Moraine using unofficial language while swearing on the oath rod in public that could easily give away her and Siuane's relationship? For that matter, why were they using the oath rod? Moraine cannot lie, so a simple oath from her would have been enough. Was it just to explain to new viewers who haven't read the books what the oath rod is?

Is Mat fully healed of the Shadar Logoth dagger now? I haven't read the books in a while, so correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it take Suian and a circle, using Vora's sa'angreal to heal him? I know Moraine healed him partially in book one, but the way they worded it seemed like he was healed for good.

Is Nyneave stronger than Logain? I guess it's a little ambiguous, but they had that whole moment with Logain being shocked at her weaves in episode 4, and now they called her the most powerful channeler they've ever seen. Please tell me I'm wrong, but it sounds like Logain is being downgraded.

Did I miss something? Did Moraine and Suian have a relationship in the books? Is Suiane just going to die now? How the heck will this affect their relationships with Thom and Gareth Bryne?

Why does Moraine have a ter'angreal that allows travelling? Why would Suiane just leave it in Moraine's room? Why wouldn't she put it to use, or study it to rediscover travelling? Like, if you have the SMALLEST CHANCE of rediscovering travelling, why would you waste the ter'angreal by leaving it hung up in Moraine's room so that she can visit you in secret. Beyond that, couldn't someone notice that the amyrlin seat and Moraine have the same fancy portrait thing hanging up on their walls? Couldn't that give away their relationship?

WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE WAYS?!?!?!?! Moraine needed the ONE POWER to open them. Let that sink in. The ways, which were made specifically for the ogier to use to travel safely in between steddings, require use of the ONE POWER to open. That means that the ogier cannot use the ways. That means that Loial should have no knowledge of the ways. That means Loial should be unable to guide them through the ways. That means Loial should be utterly useless aside from characterizing people. Will he be useless? No. Loial will still be the only one in the group who can read the guidings that are for some reason written in ogier script despite ogier being completely unable to use the ways without help.

I liked the previous episodes. They were pretty good, and I was okay with the changes. This one was hot garbage. It's like they started by following the book pretty well, not making any huge changes that went against the spirit of the book, but when they were writing the script of this episode, they couldn't find the book, and just went "Ehh, I didn't need that thing anyways. Aes Sedai showing emotion in public, especially the Amyrlin seat, is normal right? It's not like Moraine felt all of Lan's pain at losing a friend to suicide and only shed a few tears while partaking in a public grieving ceremony. This is roughly similar to that in terms of emotional impact, right? And it's not like she can control her emotions. Don't be silly. No one could keep from crying when their lover they barely ever see banishes them from the tower until that same lover decides to unbanish her. That's ridiculous."

Moraine and Suian were "pillow friends" in the books when they were younger. They pretend to hate each other publicly after they dedicate themselves to finding the Dragon Reborn. I don't think they continued their relationship in present day in the books. 

I thought the 6th episode in judging it as a TV show goes. I put aside whether it adheres strictly to the books. Even judged as a TV show it's not that good. Watchable but nothing special.  

I did think Moraine making them go through the Ways just because it's quicker is a bit ridiculous. It's so ****ing dangerous in there and they didn't really establish an urgent desperation. 

59 minutes ago, Mage said:

Edit: just watched episode 7. I didn’t live episode 6 but I think it’s redeemed itself.

I think I agree with this. Episode 6 was okay. I didn’t hate it. But didn’t love it either. Episode 7 was great though. I think it is my second favorite so far behind episode 4. The ending of this was fantastic though. Also I am just loving Nynaeve and Lan. 

@Ookla the unintelligible and @Child of Hodor, I haven't been able to watch the show yet, but in the books, while they were pillow friends, that term wasn't ever fully explored, and in both New Spring and the Great Hunt both Moiraine and Siuan discuss how they had talked to each other about finding princes to marry:

New Spring: CHAPTER 18, A Narrow Passage

"I have enough for my needs," she grumbled, but Moiraine insisted on handing her half the coins in her purse, and when Moiraine reminded her of their pledge during their first months in the Tower, that what one owned belonged to the other as well, she muttered, "We swore we'd find beautiful young princes to bond, too, and marry them besides. Girls say all sorts of silly things. You watch after yourself, now. You leave me alone in this, and I'll wring your neck."

the Great Hunt: CHAPTER 4, Summoned

“You are the only one, Moiraine, with whom I can remember who I was. Even Leane always acts as if I had become the stole and the staff, even when we are alone, as if we’d never giggled together as novices. Sometimes I wish we still were novices, you and I. Still innocent enough to see it all as a gleeman’s tale come true, still innocent enough to think we would find men—they would be princes, remember, handsome and strong and gentle?—who could bear to live with women of an Aes Sedai’s power. Still innocent enough to dream of the happy ending to the gleeman’s tale, of living our lives as other women do, just with more than they.”
“We are Aes Sedai, Siuan. We have our duty. Even if you and I had not been born to channel, would you give it up for a home and a husband, even a prince? I do not believe it. That is a village goodwife’s dream. Not even the Greens go so far.”

So while they might have had a relationship it also included discussions of wanting to marry men rather than each other, and those wishes were dismissed now not due to no longer wanting them, but to realising the dream was likely impossible.

It's nice to find a little corner of the internet where people are generally being civil, even when they disagree.

No joke, I say anything positive about this show anywhere and I get dogpiled by people who are dropping homophobic/sexist/racist gunk.

I am enjoying the show, very much excited to see what the finale looks like. 

It isn't without it's flaws, some changes I wouldn't have made, and I could have done with an additional hour of characters interacting and Loial telling stories and a few more songs from Thom...

Anyway, I'm generally positive on the show with some critiques. I get that people have their reasons for not liking it. Certainly many have expressed as much here, but I was starting to feel like the whole fandom had become as bad as Star Wars! Thanks for restoring my faith somewhat.

3 hours ago, Singer said:

It's nice to find a little corner of the internet where people are generally being civil, even when they disagree.

No joke, I say anything positive about this show anywhere and I get dogpiled by people who are dropping homophobic/sexist/racist gunk.

I am enjoying the show, very much excited to see what the finale looks like. 

It isn't without it's flaws, some changes I wouldn't have made, and I could have done with an additional hour of characters interacting and Loial telling stories and a few more songs from Thom...

Anyway, I'm generally positive on the show with some critiques. I get that people have their reasons for not liking it. Certainly many have expressed as much here, but I was starting to feel like the whole fandom had become as bad as Star Wars! Thanks for restoring my faith somewhat.

No problem.

Spoiler

I can't believe you like the show! I bet you're just a (Insert extremely insulting wall of text longer than the entire WoT series put together.)

4 hours ago, Singer said:

Certainly many have expressed as much here, but I was starting to feel like the whole fandom had become as bad as Star Wars!

Just a random note and shoutout - if you want a nice and respectful place to discuss Star Wars, definitely check out Star Wars News Net's Cantina Forum! It's a great community and very welcoming and respectful! (Also, STAY AWAY FROM BRANDON'S STREAM CHAT! It's incredibly pessimistic and can be seen as toxic.) 

Now, onto the Season finale. This wasn't the best season finale I've seen, but it's far from the worst. I think it did its job, but nothing more, sadly. I'm curious to see where Season 2 goes, but despite my personal enjoyment of the show, I may wait on recommending this to more people until Season 2 comes out. 

EDIT: I do think that the finale did several things very well though, and I am very curious to see how certain arcs are handled in the future. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

After watching episode 8, full books spoilers:

Spoiler

AoL scene 

I LOVED the Age of Legends opening, it looked futuristic just like it should and I liked the portrayal of how before the Aes Sedai were men and women working together. The symbolism of LTT wearing black and Latra Posae wearing white with the ancient symbol of Aes Sedai, and making it clear they were friends who disagreed. I actually think they may be setting up some paralleling with Rand and Egwene for the whole series which I think would work well.

Only irk on this scene was I twitched when they called him the Dragon Reborn, I think that was intentional as something to make it simpler for show viewers to understand but I think that underestimates the audience's intelligence.

I do still hope we get the aftermath of LTT madness from the prologue soon to show the stakes, maybe cold open for beginning of season 2 since Rand left at the end of this season out of fear of killing everyone he loves.

Lan and Nynaeve

I have liked them showing more Lan and Nynaeve romance onscreen but have been waiting for Lan to say this speech. Be still my heart - it was wonderful. I liked Nynaeve telling Lan how to find them as a character moment. I hope next season we get a "mashiara" and the signet ring.

Fal Dara/ Tarwins Gap plotlines

I thought putting the Horn here made sense, as well as moving up Fain stealing it. They also seeded the Ingtar betrayal with Fain knowing the password and the cut drawbridge. Fain is pretty good but I can't help but think this would have worked better with Mat and that seems to have been what they were intending having set up some antagonism between him and Mat in episode 1 - can't fault the showrunners though as they got put in a tough spot by the casting change.

I liked them having the channelers defending here, and while I am a little unsure of some of the implications of letting people burn out while in a circle as someone else can force you to burn out, I thought showing burning out in a more visceral way was a good move for the medium. It was also good to introduce it now as they so far had shown no consequences or risks of channeling for women. This will be good setup for our Tower training next season. Maybe having this possible in a circle also helps explain potential plot holes of why you would not just always link all the time.

Egwene healing an almost burned out Nynaeve I was more iffy about though, I think it was unnecessary. I thought Nynaeve might have just stabbed/clubbed over head Amalisa when she couldn't let go.

The Blight and the Eye

Ishamael is great. I liked the change to the confrontation to be something more about tempting Rand, as early series that is the DO plan is to turn him. And tempting him in a way that mirrors the end of the series I think will work well later. I loved Rand choosing to keep Egwene's agency, that is in character. It also shows a nice flip of the cold open with LTT and Latra Posae which I think will parallel the overall Rand and Egwene arc for the whole series of ultimately needing to work together better in this life. They might even make Egwene be Latra Reborn, at least parallel them pretty hard.

I thought the channeling with Rand looked good, this sa'angreal I think is taking place of the fat little man one. And of course book 1 Rand does think he defeated the Dark One.

Unsure about Moiraine stilling/shielding but I'm ok with it if she still takes out Lanfear in epic fashion later, and she doesn't need to channel for that.

Seanchan

Blood and bloody ashes I am hyped. They looked great.

Predictions

For Rand, I'm wondering if he's heading for the Waste. They can have the Lanfear stuff on a solo journey, and just put Callandoor in Rhuidean? Egwene has to get to learn from the Aiel though so maybe we can't speed up quite that much. Alternatively, will he hit up Caemlyn and meet Elayne, then Stone of Tear for Callandoor. Have the Seanchan be landing at Tear, BAM you have books 2 and 3 combined in 1 season.

Edited by Dreamwa1ker
Formatting

Was Lews Therin called the Dragon Reborn in the Age of Legends or by Moiraine?  I'd be okay with him being the DR in the Age of Legends because he wasn't the first Dragon, for sure, and so was the current Dragon Reborn for that age just as Rand is for this age.  But yes, Moraine would do better to describe Lews Therin as the previous Dragon.

Did you notice Lews Therin's ring that covered four fingers?  And how "the Dark One" has the same ring?  Do you reckon that's the male Aes Sedai ring?

Favorite Moments:
1) Moiraine:  She was everything that I wanted to be: strong, controlled, precise, … terrifying.
2) Min getting the heck out of dodge
3) Perrin: How can we sit just here and do nothing?!!! Loial: I’m standing.
4) Perrin: What can we do?  Uno and friends: Here’s an ax.
5) The horn!
6) Seanchan!!

Spoiler

I liked the stuff at the Eye of the World. The presumed Ishamael was excellent and I think it was set up and revealed to be a trap quite effectively. But the rest of the last episode was a bit...bleh for me. I think the final two episodes suffered from some big rewrites once they didn't have Barney Harris anymore.

My major complaint was just how rushed and smashed together things feel in several episodes. Not enough time to sit in our feelings and make connections with characters.

On the plus side, the cast is great, the practical effects, sets, and costumes are beautiful. If they can tighten up the writing and smooth out the editing next season could be great, but I am a bit nervous.

I'm in a similar place as I was with The Witcher season one. I like it, I'll watch more of it, but it hasn't blown me away. 

I think the first 4 episodes were the best. In 5 and 6 the focus shifted away from the main plot so much, that while it wasn't bad per se, it probably wasn't time spent where it needed to be. 

I'd be interested to see some deleted scenes, maybe a director's cut, just to see what the episodes would have looked like with less strict requirements on time.

Okay. So overall I enjoyed the show. However my one thing with the finale is

Spoiler

Did they kill Loial?!? I have issues with this if they did. Not so much that he died. If that’s how they want to tell the story okay, not a deal breaker for me. But my issue is what was the point of having him as a character at all if they kill him off now. His role in the ways was so small for the show. And at this point for the show he feels easily replaceable. So it feels like they included him because he was in the books, but then didn’t actually do anything with him. Which is lame. I hope he’s not dead.

So the finale was ok in my opinion. There were some good scenes.

Spoiler

But I’m confused about the eye of the world. Was that where Moraine and Rand went? Or was that the Dark One’s prison? I didn’t see any pool of pure Saidin. It seemed like Rand just pulled the power through the Sa’angreal. If they were cutting the eye why name the episode after it?

Let me preface by saying I’ve only read book 1 - 15 years ago.  Couldn’t stand the idea of a 10-15 series book which was unfinished (at that time) - and never bothered checked the following books later. Yes, BS finished it - just don’t have the stomach to read the middle books which usually get fairly mixed reviews online.

So, my main hope was that the show would be so good that I could watch it instead of reading the rest of the books. Also, wanted to see how AES Sendai got shown - Rosammund Pike’s character was a cool and older version of Jasnah, in my mind.

Sadly, 15 minutes into the first episode, I turned it off.  I felt like it was trying for too much of GoT vibe.  I remember the original book having elements of LoTR.  This one just had the vibe set at the grungy horror of GoT.  You know - some people don’t like GoT.  Most likely, there are people like me who like lighter tv shows. I only watched 1 episode of GoT - and stopped there. Because it was so involved and “gritty”.  I really hope that tv shows stop trying to copy GoT’s vibe.

Just my thoughts- sorry, not a huge fan.

On 12/28/2021 at 1:55 AM, Mage said:

So the finale was ok in my opinion. There were some good scenes.

Hide contents

But I’m confused about the eye of the world. Was that where Moraine and Rand went? Or was that the Dark One’s prison? I didn’t see any pool of pure Saidin. It seemed like Rand just pulled the power through the Sa’angreal. If they were cutting the eye why name the episode after it?

The Eye of the World, which is where Rand and Moiraine ended and is also the Dark One's prison, was created in Lews Therin's time using 100 male and female Aes Sedai, which is why the symbol had both yin and yang.  These Aes Sedai likely used the "unbreakable" cuendillar to seal the prison, as well, but the cuendillar broke.

6 hours ago, Wit Beyond Measure said:

The Eye of the World, which is where Rand and Moiraine ended and is also the Dark One's prison, was created in Lews Therin's time using 100 male and female Aes Sedai, which is why the symbol had both yin and yang.  These Aes Sedai likely used the "unbreakable" cuendillar to seal the prison, as well, but the cuendillar broke.

They aren't the same place, and Lews Therin and his Hundred male companions sealed the Dark One, if Female Aes Sedai were involved Saidar would have been tainted as well.

The Eye of the World was created later, with both male and Female channelers, and was in a different location.

16 hours ago, Frustration said:

They aren't the same place, and Lews Therin and his Hundred male companions sealed the Dark One, if Female Aes Sedai were involved Saidar would have been tainted as well.

The Eye of the World was created later, with both male and Female channelers, and was in a different location.

Ah, since the Eye was a seal of the Dark One's prison, I'd assumed that it was co-located with the Dark One's prison.  I must be wrong.  I have forgotten so much from the WoT books, the price of being just a casual fan, I suppose!

25 minutes ago, Wit Beyond Measure said:

Ah, since the Eye was a seal of the Dark One's prison, I'd assumed that it was co-located with the Dark One's prison.  I must be wrong.  I have forgotten so much from the WoT books, the price of being just a casual fan, I suppose!

No problem.