Nightblood D&D Alignment

King of Herdaz

Nightblood D&D Alignment  

76 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think Nightblood's D&D alignment is?

• Chaotic Good
    • Lawful Good
    • Neutral Good
    • Lawful Neutral
    • Neutral
    • Chaotic Neutral
    • Neutral Evil
    • Lawful Evil
    • Chaotic Evil

I'd say Lawful Neutral is the closest fit. He's Lawful in the sense that he's governed by his Command and can't disobey it and he's Neutral in the sense that he doesn't really know what 'Evil' is and consequently doesn't really know 'Good' either. Brandon's mentioned that Nightblood lets his wielder make those decisions, it's not his fault if everyone who fails the Nightblood Test decides that they're evil and deserve to be destroyed too...

Nightblood himself, unfortunately, doesn't quite understand what good and evil are. (This is mentioned later in the text.) However, he knows that his master can determine who is good and who is evil—using the sword's power to make people sick, or through other means. So, he pretty much just lets whoever is holding him decide what is evil. And if the one holding the sword determines—deep within their heart—that they are evil themselves, then they will end up killing themselves with the sword.

Warbreaker Annotations (Dec. 22, 2010)

9 hours ago, Invocation said:

Gotta be Lawful Evil. DnD officially says the "evil" axis involves harming/killing others. Nightblood's whole thing is Destroy Evil. I would be tempted to say Chaotic Evil, it he wasn't an Awakened creation with a Command that rules his life.

So you are saying that every soldier, police officer, and adventurer whose job involves harming/killing "bad guys" is evil? 

3 hours ago, Etherealness said:

So you are saying that every soldier, police officer, and adventurer whose job involves harming/killing "bad guys" is evil? 

Per the DnD definition, yes, but that's massively over simplified to apply to real life. Arguably it's oversimplified for everything.

Edited by Invocation

9 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Per the DnD definition, yes, but that's massively over simplified to apply to real life. Arguably it's oversimplified for everything.

While the whole alignment system is indeed massively simplified (and is basically intended as a guide to roleplaying) you're reading way too much into that description of what 'evil' is. For example, the Paladin class simply couldn't exist in D&D if evil was read as broadly as you're doing since through 3rd edition they were required to be Lawful Good, yet their role is to be a fighter/spellcaster hybrid with the purpose of fighting evil. That by definition requires harming or killing others at times.

Just now, Weltall said:

While the whole alignment system is indeed massively simplified (and is basically intended as a guide to roleplaying) you're reading way too much into that description of what 'evil' is. For example, the Paladin class simply couldn't exist in D&D if evil was read as broadly as you're doing since through 3rd edition they were required to be Lawful Good, yet their role is to be a fighter/spellcaster hybrid with the purpose of fighting evil. That by definition requires harming or killing others at times.

I mean yeah that's fair, I probably am taking it too literally. I don't usually bother with alignments in my games.

18 hours ago, CrazyRioter said:

I'd say True Neutral because he doesn't really make moral/ethical decisions as such. He just does what's in his nature.

But his nature is to act "morally."  The same could be said of humans(to an optimistic person at least).

Chaotic Neutral, although Chaotic Evil could be argued.. Neutral because Nightblood has no morality, or at best very little, and is not actively trying to hurt or help anyone. Or Evil, becuase Nightblood will happily slaughter people who don't really deserve it a desperate attempt to obey his directive, although his lack of agency might place the blame on his creators/wielders. Chaotic because even though he is trying to at all times follow one law, his law is so vague and his ability to comprehend that law so small that obeying the directive perfectly, or even getting remotely close, is impossible.

• 4 months later...

Chaotic Neutral. He has exactly one precept with two words and no idea how to decode the complex idea behind one of them, to make matters worse, that one word is supposed to give him context for the first word which acts as his command.

Destroy Evil.

He understands 'destroy'. He doesn't understand 'evil'.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chaotic neutral. Since he has no idea what ‘Evil’ means, he has no concept of what ‘good’ means either! All he understands is destroy. And that is chaotic if there is anything chaotic. 

But I do wonder why if he has no concept of good or evil, why only Vasher or vivenna are deemed worthy by NB of touching him. 

What command is it that decides that only select few can pick him up?

• 1 month later...

I think he is like several wild animals in dnd 5e unaligned, but if I had to go for any main ones I would choose chaotic neutral, I don't like how people are saying that he would be lawful because he has a single purpose, lawful in dnd means that they like rules, so an example is a hobgoblin maybe LE which I LAWFUL but they go against all other laws than their own, they just have rules and stick to them, similarly to the devils in the nine hells which have rules, unlike demons who seek to corrupt and destroy no rules or structure.