Feruchemy origins

King of Herdaz

Being as Feruchemy is said to be of both Ruin and Preservation, could it be really Harmony's magic system. Since he is both Shards. And the temporal issue, namely Sazed Ascended thousands of years after Feruchemy came into existence, can be answered by saying "everything is one in the Spiritual Realm" since all of the Shardic stuff happens up there....

I'm pretty sure Hemalurgy is just the natural development of the two Shards interacting, while Hemalurgy and Allomancy are Ruin and Preservation directly attempting to shape a form of magic.

I might be wrong though.

Edited by Invocation

14 minutes ago, Invocation said:

I'm pretty sure Hemalurgy is just the natural development of the two Shards interacting, while Hemalurgy and Allomancy are Ruin and Preservation directly attempting to shape a form of magic.

I might be wrong though.

I assume you meant Feruchemy

NutiketAiel

For Feruchemy, can you only inherit that? Or is there another way to get it?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, you could obviously get it through a Hemalurgic spike.

NutiketAiel

Yeah, but that’s kind of a different thing.

Brandon Sanderson

It is hereditary, but it came from somewhere. Which is a RAFO, but it’s not a big RAFO. There’s not something you missed in the books, or anything like that. It originally came from Preservation long ago. And there are other ways to get it, but you have not missed any major plot points regarding that. Good question.

Words of Radiance Philadelphia signing (March 21, 2014) 

I assume Preservation created Feruchemy. My guess is that he created it at the same time as he gave the Terris the Prophecies and around the same time he trapped Ruin using some of Ruin's power to create it. That or he did something when they originally created humanity when Ruin and Preservation were combining their power

Edited by StanLemon

5 hours ago, Etherealness said:

Being as Feruchemy is said to be of both Ruin and Preservation, could it be really Harmony's magic system. Since he is both Shards. And the temporal issue, namely Sazed Ascended thousands of years after Feruchemy came into existence, can be answered by saying "everything is one in the Spiritual Realm" since all of the Shardic stuff happens up there....

Feruchemy came about as the natural result of the interaction of the two Shards on Scadrial. The fact that they were later combined might affect it a little, but since both Shards are still present (more or less), it should essentially be the same. Just the two Shards in the same location is enough for the magic to evolve.

49 minutes ago, StanLemon said:

I assume Preservation created Feruchemy. My guess is that he created it at the same time as he gave the Terris the Prophecies and around the same time he trapped Ruin using some of Ruin's power to create it. That or he did something when they originally created humanity when Ruin and Preservation were combining their power

I don't think the magic systems were directly created by any of the Shards. I think that they are a natural result of the Shard Investing in the planet, and an interaction between the Shardic power and the nature of the planet.

30 minutes ago, RShara said:

I don't think the magic systems were directly created by any of the Shards. I think that they are a natural result of the Shard Investing in the planet, and an interaction between the Shardic power and the nature of the planet.

This is pretty much confirmed.

Questioner

From what I understand, Ruin and Preservation create the world together, and they created humanity as copies of the original humankind. So how did they give Allomancy to Scadrial?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. So the magic systems are kind of built into the setting and the world. And there are certain natural pathways that exist, in the same way there are certain natural pathways for them to create life. Which is my explanation for why life is so similar on all the different planets, is that they're following natural pathways, and these magics are kind of the same way. For instance, Lightweaving predates the Shattering of Adonalsium. A lot of these other things are suggestive of magics that existed before that were built around Adonalsium. They weren't 100% created by the Shards, but they also do have the Shards' influence on them.

Skyward San Diego signing (Nov. 7, 2018)

Scadrial being created from the ground up (literally) by Preservation and Ruin probably means they had more control over how magic developed on the world in the same way that it influenced things like Ruin being able to alter written records (the mistsickness and the existence of Seers being an example), but even then I don't think the Shards could completely dictate how the magic developed.

The other thing is, I knew I needed some good foreshadowing for Fortune, for people being able to kinda see the future or versions of the future, for the whole cosmere to work. And, so, I built in atium specifically to do those things. And I built in lerasium to have, kind of, the ultimate sort of benevolent endowment sort of thing. (Not Endowment the Shard, you know what I mean.) But I also wanted to show these two magics were intrinsically tied together on Scadrial because the way that humankind was created. We're getting into some deep stuff, I'll just leave it there. But that was what was going through my mind as I was building those things all out.  Oathbringer Chicago signing (Nov. 21, 2017)

2 hours ago, RShara said:

Feruchemy came about as the natural result of the interaction of the two Shards on Scadrial. The fact that they were later combined might affect it a little, but since both Shards are still present (more or less), it should essentially be the same. Just the two Shards in the same location is enough for the magic to evolve.

While I'm sure that is the case with most of the magic systems, the WoB I posted heavily implies that there is a more specific origin to Feruchemy than other magic systems. Then there is this

Questioner

How is a new Feruchemist made?

Brandon Sanderson

What do you mean?

Questioner

Well you can make a new Mistborn by lerasium--

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, okay.  Other than through birth? That’s a RAFO, good question though.  Right now, as far as anyone knows, it’s by birth only.  But--  Well we’ll leave it there.  You know that the extra Preservation instead of Ruin had some effects on people on Scadrial.

Calamity Seattle signing (Feb. 17, 2016)

Which can be an argument for both sides of the discussion but considering just how good Preservation was at predicting the future he may have planned for Feruchemy even before they created Scadrial and how it could have 'naturally' developed. An arguable intelligent design situation. 

And it's also likely not completely natural after this RAFO

Tirithna

As [Feruchemy] is the magic system combined from Ruin and Preservation's powers, and they created humankind on Scadrial, how is it that it only occurs in persons with Terrispeople in their ancestry?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO :)

Goodreads: Ask the Author Q&A (Aug. 13, 2014)

Edited by StanLemon

35 minutes ago, StanLemon said:

While I'm sure that is the case with most of the magic systems, the WoB I posted heavily implies that there is a more specific origin to Feruchemy than other magic systems. Then there is this

Which can be an argument for both sides of the discussion but considering just how good Preservation was at predicting the future he may have planned for Feruchemy even before they created Scadrial and how it could have 'naturally' developed. An arguable intelligent design situation. 

And it's also likely not completely natural after this RAFO

I think you might be reading too much into the RAFOs. Remember that RAFOs don't necessarily mean that something is there. They can be anything from "I haven't decided yet" to "I want to see what crazy theories you guys come up with."

38 minutes ago, StanLemon said:

While I'm sure that is the case with most of the magic systems, the WoB I posted heavily implies that there is a more specific origin to Feruchemy than other magic systems.

I think it's much more likely that feruchemy 'coming from Preservation' means that he did something to the Terris people that brought out in them a power that everyone on Scadrial has but nobody could previously use. Case in point, the mistsickness was able to snap people who were too weak for the methods normally practiced by Scadrians to work, as mentioned by Sazed/Harmony in the HoA epigraphs. Brandon tells us that the Southerners have the seeds of all the Metallic Arts in them (see here too), which means they must have the sDNA that makes feruchemy possible. Note Brandon's words, it's because they were created by Preservation and Ruin that they have the sDNA It's more likely that Preservation did something similar to the mistsickness with the ancient Terris people that made them much more readily able to use that particular form of Scadrian magic than that he created the system entirely. The first WoB I liinked points out that the only reason allomancy is so powerful in the north is because of the lerasium beads that Rashek found increasing the strength of allomantic sDNA, so we know this is something within Preservation's power to affect even without positing that he deliberately built feruchemy.

Plus, y'know, the WoBs I linked earlier which state explicitly that none of the magic is 100% created by the Shards.

Edited by Weltall

• Chaos locked this topic