Compounding metals (spoilers for The Alloy of Law(at least)

Hollow_the_edgdncr

35 minutes ago, Hollow_the_edgdncr said:

I finished The Alloy of Law recently and I really like the concept of Compounding metals. I was hoping to start a discussion on what you think the best/coolest metal to compound would be. I would honestly go for steel. Literally nothing could hit you. Let me know your thoughts. : )

I agree on steel.  Speed of thought might be good too (zinc?) but their are some side effects.  I also am very interested in the effect of compounding copper,

I've been poking around with Compounding for a while now, particularly steel. I might be *mildly* obsessed with trying to get all my fanfic details as perfectly correct as possible. <_<

This is one tidbit that I wheedled out:

Kaymyth

We know that compounding, if you do it too much, it has permanent effects on a person.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah.

Kaymyth

Compounding for extending stretches, can it have some sort of effect similar to pewter drag, depending on the metal?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. I could say, I would say yes to that.

JordanCon 2018 (April 22, 2018)

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/332/#e9576

My general feeling is that Compounding drag would have its highest impact on the physical Feruchemical abilities. So yes, Steel Compounding is powerful, but if you do it for too long at a time you're going to feel it afterwards.

It really depends on what you want to do with your power. If you want to perform crazy shenanigans in a fight then compounding steel is probably the 'best' metal for you. On the other hand, if you're a scholar or a detective and you want to shorten the amount of realtime it takes you to reach conclusions then Zinc is clearly an amazing metal to compound; we see Wax work through every possible option for a confrontation in the time it takes the person he's up against to say a syllable, sort of like what Sherlock Holmes does in the Guy Ritchie films.

On the other hand, I love to dive and I could imagine compounded cadmium being an amazing power. You're running off the stored oxygen of uncompressed air so you don't have to worry about nitrogen narcosis, embolisms or the bends and you can stay underwater for as long as you have reserves in your metalmind (having F-Brass to stay warm would be good too but that doesn't require compounding). And of course we saw just how insane a healing factor a gold compounder has, so that's a good metal. And depending on how it works in practice, compounded chromium could be one of the most amazing things in the Cosmere. Or maybe not, but it depends on how exactly that power interacts with Fortune and what sort of applications you can get out of it.

So yeah, 'it depends'.

21 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

My general feeling is that Compounding drag would have its highest impact on the physical Feruchemical abilities. So yes, Steel Compounding is powerful, but if you do it for too long at a time you're going to feel it afterwards.

Indeed, it's mentioned somewhere that after a certain point the Compounding is like a runaway train you can't stop. (Though I think that was a character POV like from Wax, and not a dictum from Harmony, so it could be wrong.)

I think it would be similar to the effects of A-tin savantism that Spook showed in Urteau, when extinguishing his metal made him completely numb. Someone accustomed to constantly tapping an infinite steelmind for physical speed, or an infinite zincmind for mental speed, might just "seize up" if they stopped or lost access to their metalmind.

Edited by robardin

7 hours ago, robardin said:

Indeed, it's mentioned somewhere that after a certain point the Compounding is like a runaway train you can't stop. (Though I think that was a character POV like from Wax, and not a dictum from Harmony, so it could be wrong.)

I think it would be similar to the effects of A-tin savantism that Spook showed in Urteau, when extinguishing his metal made him completely numb. Someone accustomed to constantly tapping an infinite steelmind for physical speed, or an infinite zincmind for mental speed, might just "seize up" if they stopped or lost access to their metalmind.

I would consider Compounding drag to be somewhat different (and less permanent) than savantism, though the effects might well be similar. Compound steel for three hours straight? You're going to feel like you're moving through molasses for a while afterwards, but you'll recover.

Pewter drag after Compounding has the potential to be extraordinarily dangerous.

But the effects and severity will vary widely depending on the metal.

I'd love to be a gold compounder. Never feeling sick again or having long term pain and just being in perfect health all the time would be great. Additionally it would be great for doing risky things without worry. Though the cost of it would get high fairly quickly, so I'd need to find a way to afford it.

On 6/22/2019 at 0:58 AM, StanLemon said:

I'd love to be a gold compounder. Never feeling sick again or having long term pain and just being in perfect health all the time would be great. Additionally it would be great for doing risky things without worry. Though the cost of it would get high fairly quickly, so I'd need to find a way to afford it.

Steal for me.  Never have to worry about being late to work or not getting homework done in time.

• Chaos locked this topic