Scandrians as "The Ones Above"

Kelshierian

QUESTION

In Sixth of the Dusk, it feels like it’s a crossover…

BRANDON SANDERSON

That is true.

QUESTION

So is it a planet that we've seen before, or...

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes. Well, you have seen the people they are calling "The Ones Above."

QUESTION

And you're not going to tell any more?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Nope.

QUESTION

When will we know?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yeah, fifteen years maybe? Hopefully it won't take me that long, but I only just finished the outlines for Era 3 Mistborn, which is now what we're calling the 1980's, so I haven't even at the moment got the sketches of the sci-fi one, I don't have the outlines and things. So in other words, we aren't to the science fiction era; we're a ways off from that.

The Question: Isn't the underlined bold text indicates that the "Ones Above" is future Scandrians?

It seems that way, but it's not the only possibility. He implied that the events of the Elantris sequels might be important for Mistborn Era 2:

Rebecca Lovatt

And just touching on this again, do you have any tentative dates for the sequel to Elantris?

Brandon Sanderson

I really don't. I was wanting to try and do it for this year, but the fact that I have Stormlight on my plate means that I won't. The time to have been able to do that would have been last year, but I wrote the new Wax and Wayne novels instead. It is going to happen, in the timeline of the Cosmere it needs to have happened by the time that I am doing Mistborn Era 3; the 1980s-level-technology trilogy. We need to be caught up on where Elantris is, so that the whole Cosmere timeline can happen. So it will happen, but I know it won't be for at least another few years.

Arched Doorway Interview (Sept. 4, 2015)

So maybe there will be some Sel/Scadrial interaction in Era 3? That would make it very well possible for the Ones Above to be Selish people. Their practices also thematically fit Dominion, so who knows. I agree that Era 4 Scadrians is more likely though; of all the people to set up for Era 4, of course it would logically be Scadrians.

Edited by Elegy

15 hours ago, Kelshierian said:

The Question: Isn't the underlined bold text indicates that the "Ones Above" is future Scandrians?

Although Scadrians are one of, if not the, leading candidates for being the "Ones Above," that is not a confirmation.  

What Brandon is saying, is that the giant Cosmere crossover (i.e. all the worlds/Shards coming together for the Cosmere endgame) is going to be Mistborn Era 4.  That's the futuristic, space opera with FTL.  Sixth of the Dusk has to be set around that time because of the FTL.  So he's saying that we won't find out more about the "Ones Above" until we get Era 4, which has to come after Era 3, which he's only just started outlining.  

P.s. If you use the "Copy" feature from Arcanum and paste it inside a quote box, it'll format the WoB much better, and also include a direct link to the event.  

For example:

Questioner

In Sixth of the Dusk, it feels like it's a crossover...

Brandon Sanderson

That is true.

Questioner

So is it a planet that we've seen before, or...

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Well, you have seen the people they are calling the "Ones Above".

Questioner

And you're not going to tell any more?

Brandon Sanderson

Nope.

Questioner

When will we know?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, fifteen years maybe? Hopefully it won't take me that long, but I only just finished the outlines for Era 3 Mistborn, which is now what we're calling the 1980s, so I haven't even at the moment got the sketches of the sci-fi one, I don't have the outlines and things. So in other words, we aren't to the science fiction era; we're a ways off from that.

Firefight Seattle UBooks signing (Jan. 6, 2015)

I always thought they weren't the Scadrians precisely because they're the only real candidates we know of so far. Brandon has been talking about how Mistborn Era 4 is going to be sci-fi space opera with FTL for a long time and he knew that the second he put a spaceship in Sixth of the Dusk everyone would scream "Scadrians! Era 4!".

To me, putting that in just to mislead everyone is 100% a Brandon thing to do.

6 hours ago, Jubilus said:

I always thought they weren't the Scadrians precisely because they're the only real candidates we know of so far. Brandon has been talking about how Mistborn Era 4 is going to be sci-fi space opera with FTL for a long time and he knew that the second he put a spaceship in Sixth of the Dusk everyone would scream "Scadrians! Era 4!".

To me, putting that in just to mislead everyone is 100% a Brandon thing to do.

That's what I was thinking initially, but then I noticed that he was never all that sneaky when it comes to cosmere-centric stuff ("Azure"'s appearance being a recent example). That said, I'd really like it to be Selish people, because of them deserving more spotlight and also the reasons I mentioned above.

He's writing a sequel, so we might get a few more hints before too much later.

• Chaos locked this topic