Out of Curiosity...

Invocation

22 hours ago, Invocation said:

...would anyone buy writing commissions here? 

This is purely hypothetical (mods please no anger).

Could you be be a bit more specific? What exactly do you have in mind with regards to writing commissions?

2 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Like me writing stuff for people according to what they want.

Ahhh I see. It might be better in future to directly message the mods first if you aren't sure about it though :-P

I don't know if you are likely to get much traction with that question on this part of the forum though - unless I misread the circumstances, this is mainly populated by people who want to show off their writing, and so would probably prefer to focus on doing the writing themselves. Perhaps this question would work better in the general discussion subforum? Good luck with this though! If I may ask a further question, would the writing you do be, in essence, mainly for the commissioner to read, rather than, say, them paying you to write a story which they would then post to a writing competition? If not, then are you interested in doing your own writing, but don't know what to start on?

Just now, Ixthos said:

If I may ask a further question, would the writing you do be, in essence, mainly for the commissioner to read, rather than, say, them paying you to write a story which they would then post to a writing competition?

It's whatever the person commissioning wants me to write, either for themselves or something else. 

1 minute ago, Ixthos said:

If not, then are you interested in doing your own writing, but don't know what to start on?

I do my own writing as well, I just also need a way to make money due to recent circumstances making stuff hard.

Just now, Invocation said:

It's whatever the person commissioning wants me to write, either for themselves or something else. 

I do my own writing as well, I just also need a way to make money due to recent circumstances making stuff hard.

Fair enough. Again, good luck! It might be best if the mods give you permission to do this - or to make another topic elsewhere to get better access to views - to post an example of your writing to showcase your skill and so to better encourage those who would seek your services. Have you tried submitting your writing to short stories publishers, or the writers of the future contest?

I have and it never gets accepted. :( 

Never never never never give up! The more you try the better you will get. Have you tried the submissions grinder? Pick a handful of your favourite writings and select several of the possible publishers the grinder lists, and send each one one of your stories. If it is accepted, great! If not, then rotate in another of your stories, possibly one that was also rejected from another publisher. So many stories that are considered classics today went through a list of publishers which rejected them. Don't give up!

Do your writings mainly follow a genre or type?

I write a lot of sci-fi/fantasy stuff.

The best genre ;-) my favourite too, along with detective. I enjoy interconnected stories too. I'm guessing its your favourite as well? I would love to see some of your writing at some point - and I expect to see it published too! Maybe you could post one of the stories you've already written her so we can get a feel for your writing style, and maybe offer some feedback if you like? One or two to get a better idea, and of course to show anyone who might want to hire you your skills.

I also enjoy science fiction that also contains magic in an organic way - my own setting has the physical laws tied into the properties of strange extradimensional beings, which also grant abilities that interact with one another and the physics of the realities they are related to. I also like alien aliens to, with unique chemistries and unique cultures. It might be fun to trade notes at some point on how we both come up with settings :-) Do you mainly write in new settings each time, or do you make new settings for each story?

1 minute ago, Ixthos said:

The best genre ;-) my favourite too, along with detective. I enjoy interconnected stories too. I'm guessing its your favourite as well?

It absolutely is my favorite, and I'm a big fan of interconnected stories as well. Some of my stuff takes place in connected settings, even (though I'm not nearly as good as Sandman with it).

2 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

Maybe you could post one of the stories you've already written her so we can get a feel for your writing style, and maybe offer some feedback if you like? One or two to get a better idea, and of course to show anyone who might want to hire you your skills.

I have a pair of snippets here, if that counts: 

3 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

I also enjoy science fiction that also contains magic in an organic way - my own setting has the physical laws tied into the properties of strange extradimensional beings, which also grant abilities that interact with one another and the physics of the realities they are related to. I also like alien aliens to, with unique chemistries and unique cultures. It might be fun to trade notes at some point on how we both come up with settings :-)

That sounds really interesting! Also, I'm absolutely down for trading worldbuilding notes.

3 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

Do you mainly write in new settings each time, or do you make new settings for each story?

The ideas I'm trying to turn into novels/larger things like that I'll build entire worlds, maps, religions, cultures, races, and languages, some of which get used in connecting stories, but making worlds is part of the fun, so I generally start new settings for each story.

4 minutes ago, Invocation said:

It absolutely is my favorite, and I'm a big fan of interconnected stories as well. Some of my stuff takes place in connected settings, even (though I'm not nearly as good as Sandman with it).

I have a pair of snippets here, if that counts: 

That sounds really interesting! Also, I'm absolutely down for trading worldbuilding notes.

The ideas I'm trying to turn into novels/larger things like that I'll build entire worlds, maps, religions, cultures, races, and languages, some of which get used in connecting stories, but making worlds is part of the fun, so I generally start new settings for each story.

Cool! I'll give them a read in the morning - its almost 11 pm here at the moment and I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow. I'll try to give you some feedback tomorrow evening :-) We can also trade notes then. Would you prefer to do that in this thread, in a new thread, or in private messages? Also, agreed on the world building being half the fun ;-) especially when parts start to click into place, and elements that seems separate suddenly support one another and build together towards a clear future path. See you tomorrow!

Just now, Ixthos said:

Cool! I'll give them a read in the morning - its almost 11 pm here at the moment and I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow. I'll try to give you some feedback tomorrow evening :-) We can also trade notes then. Would you prefer to do that in this thread, in a new thread, or in private messages? Also, agreed on the world building being half the fun ;-) especially when parts start to click into place, and elements that seems separate suddenly support one another and build together towards a clear future path. See you tomorrow!

PMs would probably be best. Have a good night!

Hi @Invocation :-) Hope you are well. Just to check but, in addition to the earlier PM I sent with the feedback, should I also post it here as well for posterity, or to the original thread you linked? Or just leave it in the PM? Thanks :-) 

Also, I'm thinking of making a separate thread for the world building notes included in that PM as well, so it isn't just confined to a PM and so others can contribute. If you'd like to add your own ideas in that topic we might be able to get group feedback, and fresh perspectives. Either way I hope your week is going well! Cheers :-)

Edited by Ixthos
Added a word

4 hours ago, Ixthos said:

Hi @Invocation :-) Hope you are well. Just to check but, in addition to the earlier PM I sent with the feedback, should I also post it here as well for posterity, or to the original thread you linked? Or just leave it in the PM? Thanks :-) 

Leaving it in the PM works, but you can post it here if you want.

4 hours ago, Ixthos said:

Also, I'm thinking of making a separate thread for the world building notes included in that PM as well, so it isn't just confined to a PM and so others can contribute. If you'd like to add your own ideas in that topic we might be able to get group feedback, and fresh perspectives. Either way I hope your week is going well! Cheers :-)

Didn't you have a thread like that a while back? Worldbuilding Advice or something similar? If I'm misremembering, that's a wonderful idea, and if I'm not misremembering, we could bring that back (or start a new one, that works too, I'm just thinking in terms of thread-condensing). I'd be perfectly willing to toss my hat into that ring.

11 hours ago, Invocation said:

Leaving it in the PM works, but you can post it here if you want.

Didn't you have a thread like that a while back? Worldbuilding Advice or something similar? If I'm misremembering, that's a wonderful idea, and if I'm not misremembering, we could bring that back (or start a new one, that works too, I'm just thinking in terms of thread-condensing). I'd be perfectly willing to toss my hat into that ring.

Gotcha, we can leave it in the PM then :-P though I would love to see any revision you make of those sections, as the story is intriguing :-)

There is a thread similar to that which Elandera made and to which both you and I contributed, though it isn't exactly what I had in mind. That thread is mainly about giving advice, things to consider or watch out for. The thread I am proposing - linked here :-P - is more about giving one's own perspective on how one goes about world building.