The Cosmic Battle to Save the Thread

BringerofShadows

Database? the voice in Max’s head said. This is useful information...

“Where is this database?” Max asked, eyeing Sophie carefully. The girl asked far too many questions that he desperately wished he could answer. The force holding him pushed that wish down, replacing it with feelings of fear and skepticism.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 11:35 PM, Shard of Thought said:

Star closed the door behind her and closed her eyes, taking a nice long deep breath. It’s okay, she told herself. Heather is safe. You’re on good terms with Pheonix. Just… breathe. “It’s okay,” she said aloud, opening her eyes. “I just… need a little time for myself.” A small tea table with a lace tablecloth appeared, along with a comfy lavender colored chair. The table was set with a good sized tea pot filled with steaming chamomile tea, a cup and saucer, a sugar bowl, a small pitcher of cream, and two spoons; one for the sugar and one to stir the tea. Her Narration finished, Star sat down in the chair she’d created, letting herself relax. “That’s better.” She poured herself a cup of the sweet-smelling drink, appreciating the quiet stillness. There was no need to worry. No need for life’s anxieties to pull at her attention. There was only her and the warm taste of her tea. 

Moments passed slowly and for the first time in a very, very, very long while, Star found herself feeling at peace. It felt good. Probably more good than she deserved, but for once, she was able to push away those feelings of unworthiness. See, Star? she thought. You don’t need any romance to feel like this. You already have love, love for Heather, for Xino, for Jay, for Ember, and for Pheonix too. Life is good. The aging Narrator stretched her arms overhead, yawning. And, from the corner of her eye, she noticed something. 

Two boxes sat on the dresser with a folded note on top that read Star. She raised an eyebrow. Had that been there when she’d walked in the room? Feeling quite curious, she stood up and walked to the dresser, opening up the card. Written in dark purple ink, the calligraphic lettering read, 

Happy (now quite belated) 400 page birthday, my dear. Congratulations. 

Wishing you the very best, The Violet Goddess

One of the boxes was small and silver, tied with a prim, white bow. The second was significantly larger and was made of metal. She opened the small box first, carefully untying the bow and lifting the lid. Inside was a shimmering silver necklace with a small six-pointed star pendant attached to it. Star smiled, blushing. It was beautiful. With delicate fingers, she pulled it from its casing and clipped it around her neck, admiring it. Honestly, she hadn’t even known that her 400th birthday had happened. What a pleasant surprise.

Next, Star picked up the metal box. It was also silver and was about the size of a large shoe box. Smiling to herself, she snapped the lid off. Inside were a pair of matching white porcelain mugs decorated with silver and gold markings, several little packets of different colors, and two silver spoons. There was also a small piece of white card-stock with words written in neat handwriting. 

Hot cocoa warms the Soul, it read. Share a cup with Pheo some time. Below was listed all the different flavors of cocoa mix, labeled by color. That included but was not limited to: Regular, White Chocolate (my favorite!), Peppermint, Raspberry, Caramel, Cinnamon, Hazelnut, and Butterscotch. At the very bottom was a hastily drawn smiley face and TVG’s signature. Star looked over the gifts with deep gratitude. A gorgeous necklace and treat to share, all for an event she hadn’t even known about. She glanced upward, silently sending a thank you to her gracious Author. 

Just as she began to turn away, a small glimmer caught her eye. She cocked her head and looked closer at the package, finding that there was indeed something shiny in the bottom of it that she had previously missed. She lifted up the piece of card-stock to reveal a silver circlet made of metallic vines, small diamonds and pearls dispersed among the shimmering leaves. It was similar to the tiara from Star’s vision that she had soon after the universes had split in two. With reverently hesitant fingers, she took the circlet, mouth open slightly in shock. Star placed the circlet on her head. It seemed to click into place, humming with right-ness and power for a few seconds. A smile touched her lips. It seemed that TVG thought she deserved this now. And that was worth everything. 
----------- 
Star felt Pheonix's presence coming up soon and forced herself to breathe even and deep. "You can go ahead and knock, Ember," she said. She let Heather walk in front and stood with her hands clasped in front of her, watching a bit nervously as Ember rapped on the door with her shell plated knuckles. 

@xinoehp512 @BringerofShadows

There was the thump of footsteps as Pheonix walked over to open the door.

"Oh!" he said upon seeing Heather. "Uh... hi."

Heather waved weakly, hiding behind her hair. As she stood there, she tried to picture him as her father, like Star had hinted he might become. Star's relationship with him was obviously extraordinarily complicated from what she could see; she had absolutely no inkling just how serious her new step-mother was about marrying him. At the end of the day though, it would be Star's decision and Star's decision alone whether or not Pheonix became her patron. What Heather thought about it mattered very little. All that said... The word "father" brought intense feelings and memories to Heather's mind. Yet, this pale, skinny man seemed the antonym of all of them. Soft spoken, gentle, and... Father??? No. It just made no sense. She had absolutely no idea what to make of it. 
Heather's thoughts began to turn inward and she realized that she hadn't taken her steel eyes off of Pheonix. The moment she recognized it, she quickly turned away, embarrassed. Nobody wanted her unnerving eyes on them. Least of all Heather herself... She groaned internally, but then, remembering how much worse the pain had been without Star's miracle gel, chided herself. She deserved that pain. What right had she to complain about it, especially when Star had been so kind as to help her? She probably should have rejected Star's kind gift, but she was too much of a self-pitying crybaby to deny it. 

Ember knelt, prompting a grimace from Star. “Master Pheonix,” said the Destroyer with reverence.
“Oh, Ember, honey, don’t…” She facepalmed, but stopped herself from saying anything else about it. “Uh, hello again, Pheonix. The girls wanted to meet you officially so… here they are, I suppose.”
With big, glass eyes - childlike, really - Ember looked up. “You are the chosen one,” she said to Pheonix. 

Shadow, with your extended absence, I'll just take Heather as my own until you come back. We miss you, girl. :)

@BringerofShadows

On 1/28/2021 at 9:08 PM, xinoehp512 said:

Michael held up the pen with a shrug. This is about as physical as it gets.

Before Max could even think about it, he reached out and snatched the pen from Michael's fingers. "So this would... get you into the database?"

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 2:09 PM, Jaywalk said:

Before Max could even think about it, he reached out and snatched the pen from Michael's fingers. "So this would... get you into the database?"

Michael summoned the pen back into his hand.

Yes, he said. If you knew how to use it.

On 1/30/2021 at 11:56 AM, Shard of Thought said:

Heather waved weakly, hiding behind her hair. As she stood there, she tried to picture him as her father, like Star had hinted he might become. Star's relationship with him was obviously extraordinarily complicated from what she could see; she had absolutely no inkling just how serious her new step-mother was about marrying him. At the end of the day though, it would be Star's decision and Star's decision alone whether or not Pheonix became her patron. What Heather thought about it mattered very little. All that said... The word "father" brought intense feelings and memories to Heather's mind. Yet, this pale, skinny man seemed the antonym of all of them. Soft spoken, gentle, and... Father??? No. It just made no sense. She had absolutely no idea what to make of it. 
Heather's thoughts began to turn inward and she realized that she hadn't taken her steel eyes off of Pheonix. The moment she recognized it, she quickly turned away, embarrassed. Nobody wanted her unnerving eyes on them. Least of all Heather herself... She groaned internally, but then, remembering how much worse the pain had been without Star's miracle gel, chided herself. She deserved that pain. What right had she to complain about it, especially when Star had been so kind as to help her? She probably should have rejected Star's kind gift, but she was too much of a self-pitying crybaby to deny it. 

Ember knelt, prompting a grimace from Star. “Master Pheonix,” said the Destroyer with reverence.
“Oh, Ember, honey, don’t…” She facepalmed, but stopped herself from saying anything else about it. “Uh, hello again, Pheonix. The girls wanted to meet you officially so… here they are, I suppose.”
With big, glass eyes - childlike, really - Ember looked up. “You are the chosen one,” she said to Pheonix. 

@BringerofShadows

"Chosen one?" said Pheonix instinctively.

"Oh, WOW!" Sophie exclaimed. "Can you show me? Not right now of course, maybe, like, when the Witherlord is dead though. That would be amazing." 

“Yes. Chosen to bond with Master Star.”

A deep red blush spread across Star's cheeks. "Ember, you can't just... oh, bother." 

"What? Is it not true? He is Fated to be yours, yes?"

"Well... I..." Star bit her lip, looking down at her feet. "I'm sorry, girls, right now, I... just can't." She turned around and left, mumbling a, "Have fun with Pheonix," as she did so. 

The Destroyer appeared utterly confused, wrinkling her brow. Though she knew she was missing a massive amount of context, she had absolutely no idea what. She eyed Heather for assistance and the girl shook her head sharply. "Have I done something wrong?" Ember asked nervously. 

9 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

"Oh, WOW!" Sophie exclaimed. "Can you show me? Not right now of course, maybe, like, when the Witherlord is dead though. That would be amazing." 

“Yes. Chosen to bond with Master Star.”

A deep red blush spread across Star's cheeks. "Ember, you can't just... oh, bother." 

"What? Is it not true? He is Fated to be yours, yes?"

"Well... I..." Star bit her lip, looking down at her feet. "I'm sorry, girls, right now, I... just can't." She turned around and left, mumbling a, "Have fun with Pheonix," as she did so. 

The Destroyer appeared utterly confused, wrinkling her brow. Though she knew she was missing a massive amount of context, she had absolutely no idea what. She eyed Heather for assistance and the girl shook her head sharply. "Have I done something wrong?" Ember asked nervously. 

"I... wouldn't say that," said Pheonix, flushing slightly.

You may get a chance to see it in action, replied Michael. I intend to use it to locate the nearest luxite.

With a scoff, Heather folded her arms. Her facial expression - aimed at Pheo - was an accusing one. "Okay, will someone please tell me what happened between you two? Sta- Mom seems super freaked out by you, I don't get it."

"Freaked out?" Ember echoed timidly. She got up from the floor and spared a glance at her departing master. 

"Yeah. Aren't you two supposed to be this perfectly happy little couple?"

"Ooooh," cooed a wide-eyed Sophie.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 11:49 PM, Shard of Thought said:

With a scoff, Heather folded her arms. Her facial expression - aimed at Pheo - was an accusing one. "Okay, will someone please tell me what happened between you two? Sta- Mom seems super freaked out by you, I don't get it."

"Freaked out?" Ember echoed timidly. She got up from the floor and spared a glance at her departing master. 

"Yeah. Aren't you two supposed to be this perfectly happy little couple?"

Pheo sighed. "It's... not as simple as that."

On 2/19/2021 at 11:49 PM, Shard of Thought said:

"Ooooh," cooed a wide-eyed Sophie.

"Luxite?" echoed Xinoehp.

"Yeah, no kidding," Heather muttered. She glanced back down the hall in the direction Star had gone. Her spikes throbbed. 

Ember was left extremely confused. "I do not understand love," she said bitterly. Her face was screwed up in intense thought. When Heather saw the Destroyer's expression, she couldn't resist a shy chuckle. 

"What's luxite?" Sophie asked. She rested her chin on her hands, prepared to listen intently.

On 2/28/2021 at 9:54 AM, Shard of Thought said:

"Yeah, no kidding," Heather muttered. She glanced back down the hall in the direction Star had gone. Her spikes throbbed. 

Ember was left extremely confused. "I do not understand love," she said bitterly. Her face was screwed up in intense thought. When Heather saw the Destroyer's expression, she couldn't resist a shy chuckle. 

Pheonix sighed again. "I don't think I understand it either."

On 2/28/2021 at 9:54 AM, Shard of Thought said:

"What's luxite?" Sophie asked. She rested her chin on her hands, prepared to listen intently.

An ordered light form of Narrativium. It has become rare now, since the fall of the luxsprites and the rise of the withergeists.

• 2 weeks later...

"Oh..." Ember hung her head. I do not want just to babysit... But if that was what Star wanted her to do, then there wasn't anything she could do about it. She began to pick at her nails.

Heather scoffed. "Okay, I'm done. What did she do? A couple days ago, you guys were all True Love's Kiss and cuddles, now she's scared of you and you're all depressed. What went down that I don't know about?"

"Heather, perhaps you should not raise your voice..." 

"Yeah, and perhaps I should know what the hell is going on." 

"Yeah, no shi-" Heather caught herself. "No kidding. Mom's acting like being with you is a punishment."

"Umm... I could share Pheonix's memories with you, Heather. If the Master is okay with that, that is." Ember paused. "I am sorry that your romance with Narrator Star is not going well."

Edited by Shard of Thought

On 3/11/2021 at 2:06 PM, Shard of Thought said:

"Yeah, no shi-" Heather caught herself. "No kidding. Mom's acting like being with you is a punishment."

"Umm... I could share Pheonix's memories with you, Heather. If the Master is okay with that, that is." Ember paused. "I am sorry that your romance with Narrator Star is not going well."

Phoenix let out a muffled sigh.

Heather grumbled. "C'mon, Ember. This guy doesn't have anything to say. No wonder Star's disappointed. Some True Love he is. Let's go."

The Destroyer didn't budge. 

"Ember, what's with you? I told you to come."

"But, Heather, he is sad." Ember turned her big glass eyes towards her companion. "Leaving would not be very nice."

"Oh, please. Mom told you to stick with me and I'm leaving. So let's go."

There was a pause while Ember assessed her situation. "Yes," she decided. "Star did tell us to stay together. You may leave if you wish, but I will stay." Ember stood firmly. "Be quiet until he is better; I sense you make him anxious. He... he would like to be a good father to you. But he fears he has failed already." 

Ember's comments made Heather go silent. The Inquisitor paled and looked down at her feet.

Reverently, Ember walked over to kneel beside Pheo's bed. She put her unarmored hand on his shoulder. "I do not understand why you are quite so sad. But perhaps I do not need to. Would you like a hug, Master Pheonix? They seem to have some sort of healing power."

Edited by Shard of Thought

On 3/16/2021 at 0:59 AM, Shard of Thought said:

Heather grumbled. "C'mon, Ember. This guy doesn't have anything to say. No wonder Star's disappointed. Some True Love he is. Let's go."

The Destroyer didn't budge. 

"Ember, what's with you? I told you to come."

"But, Heather, he is sad." Ember turned her big glass eyes towards her companion. "Leaving would not be very nice."

"Oh, please. Mom told you to stick with me and I'm leaving. So let's go."

There was a pause while Ember assessed her situation. "Yes," she decided. "Star did tell us to stay together. You may leave if you wish, but I will stay." Ember stood firmly. "Be quiet until he is better; I sense you make him anxious. He... he would like to be a good father to you. But he fears he has failed already." 

Ember's comments made Heather go silent. The Inquisitor paled and looked down at her feet.

Reverently, Ember walked over to kneel beside Pheo's bed. She put her unarmored hand on his shoulder. "I do not understand why you are quite so sad. But perhaps I do not need to. Would you like a hug, Master Pheonix? They seem to have some sort of healing power."

Phoenix sighed and rolled over. "Maybe," he admitted.

2 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

Ember paused, unsure of what she should do next. Hesitantly, she sat down on the bed next to him and picked at her nails. "I am not a very good hugger.." she admitted. 

Phoenix blinked, unsure of how one could be a poor hugger.