The Cosmic Battle to Save the Thread

BringerofShadows

... So we're just skipping the scene where Star has tea? *sigh* It's important. I'll post it and then we can be "caught up."

Star closed the door behind her and closed her eyes, taking a nice long deep breath. It’s okay, she told herself. Heather is safe. You’re on good terms with Pheonix. Just… breathe. “It’s okay,” she said aloud, opening her eyes. “I just… need a little time for myself.” A small tea table with a lace tablecloth appeared, along with a comfy lavender colored chair. The table was set with a good sized tea pot filled with steaming chamomile tea, a cup and saucer, a sugar bowl, a small pitcher of cream, and two spoons; one for the sugar and one to stir the tea. Her Narration finished, Star sat down in the chair she’d created, letting herself relax. “That’s better.” She poured herself a cup of the sweet-smelling drink, appreciating the quiet stillness. There was no need to worry. No need for life’s anxieties to pull at her attention. There was only her and the warm taste of her tea. 

Moments passed slowly and for the first time in a very, very, very long while, Star found herself feeling at peace. It felt good. Probably more good than she deserved, but for once, she was able to push away those feelings of unworthiness. See, Star? she thought. You don’t need any romance to feel like this. You already have love, love for Heather, for Xino, for Jay, for Ember, and for Pheonix too. Life is good. The aging Narrator stretched her arms overhead, yawning. And, from the corner of her eye, she noticed something. 

Two boxes sat on the dresser with a folded note on top that read Star. She raised an eyebrow. Had that been there when she’d walked in the room? Feeling quite curious, she stood up and walked to the dresser, opening up the card. Written in dark purple ink, the calligraphic lettering read, 

Happy (now quite belated) 400 page birthday, my dear. Congratulations. 

Wishing you the very best, The Violet Goddess

One of the boxes was small and silver, tied with a prim, white bow. The second was significantly larger and was made of metal. She opened the small box first, carefully untying the bow and lifting the lid. Inside was a shimmering silver necklace with a small six-pointed star pendant attached to it. Star smiled, blushing. It was beautiful. With delicate fingers, she pulled it from its casing and clipped it around her neck, admiring it. Honestly, she hadn’t even known that her 400th birthday had happened. What a pleasant surprise.

Next, Star picked up the metal box. It was also silver and was about the size of a large shoe box. Smiling to herself, she snapped the lid off. Inside were a pair of matching white porcelain mugs decorated with silver and gold markings, several little packets of different colors, and two silver spoons. There was also a small piece of white card-stock with words written in neat handwriting. 

Hot cocoa warms the Soul, it read. Share a cup with Pheo some time. Below was listed all the different flavors of cocoa mix, labeled by color. That included but was not limited to: Regular, White Chocolate (my favorite!), Peppermint, Raspberry, Caramel, Cinnamon, Hazelnut, and Butterscotch. At the very bottom was a hastily drawn smiley face and TVG’s signature. Star looked over the gifts with deep gratitude. A gorgeous necklace and treat to share, all for an event she hadn’t even known about. She glanced upward, silently sending a thank you to her gracious Author. 

Just as she began to turn away, a small glimmer caught her eye. She cocked her head and looked closer at the package, finding that there was indeed something shiny in the bottom of it that she had previously missed. She lifted up the piece of card-stock to reveal a silver circlet made of metallic vines, small diamonds and pearls dispersed among the shimmering leaves. It was similar to the tiara from Star’s vision that she had soon after the universes had split in two. With reverently hesitant fingers, she took the circlet, mouth open slightly in shock. Star placed the circlet on her head. It seemed to click into place, humming with right-ness and power for a few seconds. A smile touched her lips. It seemed that TVG thought she deserved this now. And that was worth everything. 
----------- 
Star felt Pheonix's presence coming up soon and forced herself to breathe even and deep. "You can go ahead and knock, Ember," she said. She let Heather walk in front and stood with her hands clasped in front of her, watching a bit nervously as Ember rapped on the door with her shell plated knuckles. 

@xinoehp512 @BringerofShadows

Edited by Shard of Thought
Forgot to actually continue the story after I added the tea and presents. :P

Heather stood there, wondering what a real father would be like. One that cared for her and didn't instill bad habits or was abusive. Mmm...I could go for some "bad habits" right about now...NO. You will stay sober for Star. Stay sober for Star... Heather nervously swallowed, feeling her throat go dry. 

Spoiler
Oh yeah
Alright

Somebody's Heine'
Is crowdin' my icebox
Somebody's cold one
Is givin' me chills
Guess I'll just close my eyes

Oh yeah
Alright
Feels good
Inside

Flip on the telly
Wrestle with Jimmy
Something is bubbling
Behind my back
The bottle is ready to blow

Say it ain't so
Your drug is a heart breaker
Say it ain't so
My love is a life taker

I can't confront you
I never could do
That which might hurt you
So try and be cool
When I say
This way is a water slide away from me
That takes you further every day
So be cool

Say it ain't so
Say it ain't so
My love is a life taker

Dear Daddy
I write you in spite of years of silence
You've cleaned up, found Jesus, things are good or so I hear
This bottle of Steven's awakens ancient feelings
Like father, stepfather, the son is drowning in the flood
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Say it ain't so
Say it ain't so
My love is a life taker

-Say it Ain't So, Weezer

@xinoehp512

Edited by BringerofShadows

• 2 months later...

Hmmmmmmmm, now I have the chance to post and it won't be Shard-Illegal... How shall I use this golden opportunity??

I freaking love how everyone in CBST is related, it's the storming best and I need to make a family tree. 

Max should not have been alive. That probably should have tipped Sophie off that something wasn't quite right. She, however, was overcome with joy. The blue young woman shook her nephew awake. "Granite, Granite, look!"

Granite rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. "What time is it...?"

"It's your COUSIN!" Sophie giggled. "Looky, looky, isn't that wonderful!"

It took Granite a hot second to brush the Narration-induced sleep from his eyes and come to, but when he did... "Holy storms. Max?" Granite grinned. "What are you doing here, how are you even alive?"

@xinoehp512 Feel free to correct anything I write here, I’ll make edits if I get anything wrong about Max.

“I... don’t know,” Max said. In truth, he did know, but a ghostly force held his tongue. He grinned back at Granite. “It’s been a while, hasn’t it? Not since Jay was training us.”

Watch your words, a voice said in his mind. We must step carefully in this realm, lest they find out... and kill you all over again.

Hmm... I don't think Sophie and Max have met. 

"Hiya, Max!!" Sophie said, jumping with joy. "You've never met me, but I'm Sophie! I'm your dad's brother's wife's sister! Man, we have a weird family tree, hahaha. Shards, have you even met Star? I haven't... Oooh, you're so sweet, can I give you a hug?"

Yeah, we really do have a weird family, Granite thougth, chuckling to himself. I wish Rose was here to see this. ... I wish Dad was here to see this.

Me, who turns down hugs all the time because I don't like to be touched. :ph34r:

Sophie embraced Max in the way only she could, squeezing tight, then releasing with a big old grin on her blue face. Though the air around the group was dark, Sophie managed to make it seem a little brighter. "Who woulda known we'd have had a family reunion in this place?" she said with a chuckle. "Oh, oh, and this is Michael! He's a mime and he's great. We're going to find Star! You could come with us if you want."

"What are you doing out here anyway, cous'?" said Granite. "It's kinda the middle of nowhere."

1 hour ago, Shard of Thought said:

Sophie embraced Max in the way only she could, squeezing tight, then releasing with a big old grin on her blue face. Though the air around the group was dark, Sophie managed to make it seem a little brighter. "Who woulda known we'd have had a family reunion in this place?" she said with a chuckle. "Oh, oh, and this is Michael! He's a mime and he's great. We're going to find Star! You could come with us if you want."

"What are you doing out here anyway, cous'?" said Granite. "It's kinda the middle of nowhere."

“Good question,” Max said, folding his arms. “I’m, ah, afraid I don’t know how to answer it.”

1 hour ago, xinoehp512 said:

"Max?" said Michael, astonished. "But... you're supposed to be dead?"

Take care in your response, the voice said again. Or I will intervene.

”Uh... there was... miscommunication. I’m sure of it. I’m fine, see? Just look at me!”

1 hour ago, Shard of Thought said:

"Oh, Max doesn't know that," said Sophie. "But I'm sure Star could rummage around in his mind to find out when we find her! Maybe something in there would give us a clue."

Panic rose in Max’s chest. “Oh, there’s no need for that. Here, let’s all go somewhere else, somewhere nicer than this place.”

As Dad would say, he thought, there’s always another secret.

Your secrets are ones still brewing, the voice said, sending chills down Max’s spine. Their revelations shall come with time.

Granite frowned, sensing something was off, but Sophie simply shrugged. "Well, it's good to meet you, Max!" she said. "We've been traveling for a good while, I think Granite might need some sleep at the moment, 'cause he's just a character."

"Ah, no. No, I don't. You Narrated me to sleep, I didn't want to."

"Fine, fine."

18 hours ago, Jaywalk said:

”Uh... there was... miscommunication. I’m sure of it. I’m fine, see? Just look at me!”

"Do you not remember dying?" asked Michael, glancing towards where Astral had been. "Because you were most definitely dead."

Edited by xinoehp512

On 1/3/2021 at 7:48 PM, Shard of Thought said:

Granite frowned, sensing something was off, but Sophie simply shrugged. "Well, it's good to meet you, Max!" she said. "We've been traveling for a good while, I think Granite might need some sleep at the moment, 'cause he's just a character."

"Ah, no. No, I don't. You Narrated me to sleep, I didn't want to."

"Fine, fine."

"Yeah," Max said. "Good to meet you too."

On 1/4/2021 at 0:14 PM, xinoehp512 said:

"Do you not remember dying?" asked Michael, glancing towards where Astral had been. "Because you were most definitely dead."

"I remember..." The Cognitive Realm, he thought. I remember being taken away. But the force constrained him. "I don't remember anything."

"Oh, oh, oh!" Sophie bounced up and down, her hair curling in and out excitedly. "We're lookin' for the Witherlord, he's a big bad guy and Xino was tryin' to kill him, but he almost got killed instead so I had to come and save him, isn't that crazy!! It was really close, we almost lost, haha. But Withy ain't dead yet and we gotta finish 'im off!" She punctuated this remark by punching a fist into her palm, beaming innocently. "And then we can find Star! OH!" She gasped suddenly. "Did you even know that your aunt is alive? And all that horrible stuff that happened with her husband..." Sophie's hair deflated and her eyes seemed to get even bigger, like a sad character in a cartoon. She hadn't even been alive for Marsh's passing, but she knew her family history quite well and this part of the story always made her heart ache.

Granite, for one, perked up. Father, he thought, eager for answers. Then, however, he faltered. He would much rather hear the story from his mother than from her strangely perky blue sister. 

On 1/14/2021 at 10:32 PM, Jaywalk said:

“Until you guys showed up... not really.” Max scratched his head. “Mind filling me in? Or... getting us out of this wasteland?”

We'll be staying in this wasteland for now, replied Michael. It is the only location where we can reliably find luxite.

Sophie screwed up her face in annoyance. "Awww, another mystery metal I don't know about!" A notebook appeared out of thin air in her hands, along with a blue feather pen. She began scribbling immediately. The cover of the notebook read: "Character Theory; Notes by Sophie Celeste"