The Cosmic Battle to Save the Thread

BringerofShadows

"You lie," Ember said frankly. She dug around in Heather's mind for a moment. The bow had been what set her off. Heather felt unworthy. Ember squared her shoulders, feeling defensive. “Why shouldn’t I bow?" she asked. "Star is my master and my queen and you, her adopted daughter, are my princess. I am a servant, Heather. I am not even human, I am an object, made to serve and to protect. It is my purpose in life to kneel before those who know better than I. And even if my master did not care for you deeply in the way she so obviously does, I would still bow. Because you are a beautifully complex, kind, and emotional individual who has, for some reason, decided to care for me. Again, I say, why shouldn’t I bow? It is the only way I can return to you what you have given me.” She folded her arms. "I have felt unable to fulfill my Directive as of late. That is what I was trying to tell you earlier. But that Directive is who I am and trying to get me to fill a different role would be uncomfortable and wrong. It would go against my nature. I have tried to fill the role of being your friend. But I... I cannot do that. Not the way I can protect and serve. Just look at me!" Ember held up her metal hands. "I am not safe for you. I am not kind, I am not warm, I am not friendly. But I can destroy. I can keep you safe. It is what I am good at. It is my very nature. Please. Let me do it. Let me bow."

@xinoehp512 @BringerofShadows

Edited by Shard of Thought

• 4 weeks later...

Ember studied her friend and blinked twice, waiting for any reaction. It seemed wrong to have had such an outburst only to be met with silence. Then, she froze. She never should have acted out in the first place. Heather could do whatever she wanted. Ember bowed her head. "I am sorry." By the Author, Ember, know your place. You said it yourself, you were made to serve. So do what your superiors want. She grew her shell all over her body. Though she didn't love wearing it, it was sometimes better to just have it on anyway. Less of a chance of hurting someone. And it seemed to quell her anxiety at times. 

On 7/18/2020 at 8:52 PM, Shard of Thought said:

“Good.” Star raised a mischievous eyebrow and leaned back in her chair, crossing her legs. “So, then. When can I expect a date with you?”

Pheonix opened his mouth to respond when - all of sudden - he realized he had no idea what day of the week it was. His mouth hung open for a couple of seconds while he hastily worked backwards in his mind before he realized and shut it closed with a snap.

After a few seconds, he gave up. "Um, what day of the week is it?" he asked timidly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 0:03 AM, Shard of Thought said:

Oh, the poor thing. Star furrowed her brow. He's been trapped so long he lost track of time. "It's Tuesday, dear," she said. She cringed internally. Why did you call him "dear"? 

"Oh," said Pheonix. "Well, um... does Friday work for you?"

8 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

"Oh," said Pheonix. "Well, um... does Friday work for you?"

Star blushed. "It's not like I have anything to do any time soon. Or... at all. So sure. Why not?" She tried for a smile. Friday. Oh Author, please let this be as painless as possible. Then she paused. Now what? "Ah... I should probably go. Check on Heather." Star looked away, playing with the ring on her finger. She didn't know why she still wore her wedding ring. It was a memory from a hazy, near-forgotten time. A reminder of a thing she'd lost. And yet... it was precious to her.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 9:38 PM, xinoehp512 said:

"Hmm. Well, maybe Tom will be able to puzzle it out." Xino stood up. "Speaking of which, we should probably be getting back."

Later that night, Jaywalk sat on the floor, leaning his head against the wall. Tired, so tired...

He patted his empty pockets, wishing he had something, anything to take the pain away. Edna could've done that, he thought. Too bad she's dead. Once his pockets had been full of trinkets from a hundred universes. Once he'd trained with a legendary swordmaster who gave him a Twavil bone--a dangerous predator from that world--carved as a deadly dagger. It had been a reward for such supernatural help he'd given them, finding a shaman, a kind medicine men, to help their dying daughter.

It was gone now. Taken from him, just like everything else.

He groaned. Stop moping, you useless jerk. "Star?" he called. "Xino?" Perhaps one of them could provide him a distraction.

1 minute ago, Jaywalk said:

Later that night, Jaywalk sat on the floor, leaning his head against the wall. Tired, so tired...

He patted his empty pockets, wishing he had something, anything to take the pain away. Edna could've done that, he thought. Too bad she's dead. Once his pockets had been full of trinkets from a hundred universes. Once he'd trained with a legendary swordmaster who gave him a Twavil bone--a dangerous predator from that world--carved as a deadly dagger. It had been a reward for such supernatural help he'd given them, finding a shaman, a kind medicine men, to help their dying daughter.

It was gone now. Taken from him, just like everything else.

He groaned. Stop moping, you useless jerk. "Star?" he called. "Xino?" Perhaps one of them could provide him a distraction.

Oh my Shards. We're all in different places on the timeline. Star needs to have tea by herself after she leaves Pheo, then Heather and Ember will probably find her after that. And then this post is happening, what a few hours after that?

On 8/18/2020 at 8:45 AM, Shard of Thought said:

Ember studied her friend and blinked twice, waiting for any reaction. It seemed wrong to have had such an outburst only to be met with silence. Then, she froze. She never should have acted out in the first place. Heather could do whatever she wanted. Ember bowed her head. "I am sorry." By the Author, Ember, know your place. You said it yourself, you were made to serve. So do what your superiors want. She grew her shell all over her body. Though she didn't love wearing it, it was sometimes better to just have it on anyway. Less of a chance of hurting someone. And it seemed to quell her anxiety at times. 

"Why...did you do that...?" She said watching with fascination, it seemed. 

8 minutes ago, BringerofShadows said:

"Why...did you do that...?" She said watching with fascination, it seemed. 

Ember cringed as if waiting to be hit, covering her face with her hands. "I should not have snapped, I know I was out of line, I'm sorry," she said quickly. Every bone in her metal body screamed at her to bow fast and bow low, but she knew she shouldn't. 

"Oh." Heather wanted to say that Ember doesn't have to apologize and that she doesn't have to do the shell-thing because she's learned from...Past Mistakes. But 'Oh' was all that came out. A sigh escaped her lips, releasing some of the tension trapped within her body. "Sorry for walking out on you. I just got uncomfortable..."

Why am I so dramatic oh my god.

"Because. I don't deserve such treatment..." And I never will. The suppressed emotions came boiling to the surface again, but Heather was able to push them back down. "It's fine. I just don't like being praised if you know what I mean."

This is CBST. It's supposed to be overly dramatic. And when it's overly overly dramatic, I'll fix it in CBSS. :P Of course, CBSS is years and years away.

"It's not about what you deserve," Ember said. "If anything, Star has taught me that." Ember took Heather's chin, like she'd seen Star do before and tried at a smile again. It was slightly less toothy this time and not quite as forced, but it still didn't look natural. "I don't think I deserve praise either." 

Ember is the most wholesome creature to ever exist, second only to maybe Pheo. Fight me.

"Okay," Ember said. She let go of Heather's chin and bent over, standing on her hands. Just one more interesting way to hold herself up. "Oooh," she said, the metal strands of her hair falling down to the floor. "This is fun." She giggled metalically. 

I posted this on Discord, but you wouldn't see it for a while so...

I'm loving watching Ember try out different ways to sit or stand. She's tried sitting, laying down, doing the splits, and now standing on her hands. It kinda seems random at times, but that's only because, with us posting sporadically, it feels off balance I promise this is a normal thing with her.

Ember walked on her hands so she was facing Heather, as easily as she would have on her feet. "It feels quite natural, actually. I want to show Star. And you wanted to ask her to sing."

Is it just me, or has my writing improved...?

"Heh, yeah it would..." Good god she is like a child, Heather thought at first. But deep inside her, that longing wasn't just for Star to be with her, but for Heather to be a child again. She wanted to be a normal and have someone to look up too.