The Cosmic Battle to Save the Thread

BringerofShadows

Pheonix smiled and stepped through the doorway. As he did so, he made a waving motion with his hand.

In front of him, a tiny vessel materialized out of thin air. It was round and cuplike, with a flat bottom, and crafted out of a smooth off-white material. It began to move as soon as it popped into existence, darting aimlessly about the hall.

Star squinted at the object, confused. Undoubtedly there was something of worth to see here, if Pheo was so excited. Maybe it'd just take a minute... 

Ember felt as if she was intruding again. Granted, unlike before, she did not know exactly what she was intruding upon, but she still felt just as out of place as when she had been scared of greeting Star directly after her master had come back from Silence's Realm. It was made slightly better by the fact that Heather was with her this time, but it was all quite odd, especially because Star herself didn't quite know what she was doing either. Thankfully Master Pheonix did and Star loved him so he must be doing something good. After all, Star's judgement was perfect; if she trusted Pheonix and loved him too (though Ember herself did not understand why the way she "loved" Pheonix was special or, even, what "love" truly meant) then Ember would know that Pheo was in the right. He must be. Otherwise Star would be wrong and that just wasn't possible.

On 1/24/2020 at 9:50 AM, xinoehp512 said:

Pheonix smiled and stepped through the doorway. As he did so, he made a waving motion with his hand.

In front of him, a tiny vessel materialized out of thin air. It was round and cuplike, with a flat bottom, and crafted out of a smooth off-white material. It began to move as soon as it popped into existence, darting aimlessly about the hall.

On 1/24/2020 at 1:20 PM, BringerofShadows said:

"Is it just me, or is this just a really long hallway?"

Pheonix smiled. "Now," he said, "you try."

@BringerofShadows

Edited by xinoehp512

Can I just say how adorable and wholesome it is to see Pheo reaching out to Heather? I know it's a small thing, but she can really fade into the background and I'm sure she appreciates being included. Pheo understands that Star really cares about the girl and it's very thoughtful of him to try his best to care for her too. Phar is perfect. Pheo is amazing. I love it all. 

Also, HAPPY 3,000 posts, @xinoehp512!!!!!!

A boy appeared, maybe 16 or 17. He had thick brown hair, with striking ocean blue eyes.  He also had an ax through the chest. Heather froze, going pale. She tried to think of something else, but that image was burned into her mind. 

Edited by BringerofShadows

Star pulled a hand to her mouth. She recognized the boy from when she had gone through Heather's memories. Skylar, she remembered his name was. Seeing Pheonix interact with her had made her heart swell with happiness, but the positive emotion was quickly drowned, making her stomach lurch. Noting Heather's pale, horrified expression and understanding what the boy meant to her, Star quickly expended some Narrative energy to expel the image from the hallway. She walked closer to Heather, wishing she could put an arm around her shoulders to comfort her. "Are you all right, my dear?"

Ember regarded the image curiously and was slightly confused when it disappeared as soon as it had come. She had a hard time following what had just happened. She turned her gaze to her master, carefully watching her comfort Heather. Ember was not good at comfort. She was too hot to be warm, too literal to be imaginative, and too hard to be tender. But she was confident that she could get better. 

Edited by Shard of Thought

Star sighed and bit her lip. She was worried about her little one. Wait. Little one. Since when had she called Heather her "little one?" She was hardly "little." But... she wished she was. Wouldn't that be lovely? To have a daughter or son? A little child to call her own? She smiled, blushing lightly.

So, Xino, can Jay just post whenever or do you have something in mind?

@Jaywalk @xinoehp512

Star raised her eyebrows in concern, thinking over the dangers of letting Heather go off to do whatever she wanted. Every time that she had gone away, she'd gotten to drinking, and Star wasn't about to let that happen. "Well..." she said. "Heather, I... I'm not sure I'd like you to be left alone right now." 

Star wilted a little bit. She very much disliked confrontation. "Well, I..." She trailed off, looking up at Ember. She was unsure if the Destroyer knew how vital it was that Heather be kept away from alcohol. She wetted her lips with her tongue, weighing her options. "Yes," she finally said. "Yes, that's fine, my dear." 

Ember, she added silently, mind-to-mind, do please make sure she doesn't drink anything. It's imperative. 

I understand, came the curt response.

Oh, thank you, Ember. 

"Well," Heather said coldly, "Star can storm off!" (Except she didn't say 'storm') She began looking through the medicine cabinet, throwing out supplies. She stopped at wooden bowl with a tag on it. 'Firemoss: Pain reliever. Rub between finger and hold up to patient. WARNING: Highly Addictive.' "Hmm... Did Star say anything about moss?"

Ember regarded Heather and the bowl with her large glass eyes. She had a decision to make and it was going to be a hard one. But it was important. So, start simple. What did she know?

Star didn't want Heather to drink anything. Okay, she knew that. But why? Ember had seen the negative effects of Heather's drinking habits including vomiting. And she had come to realize only just a little bit ago that when Star had asked her to come and "heal" Heather, she was probably doing it to get rid of those effects. So, then, why did Heather insist on drinking it? Ember recalled asking this same question. It had been a long time ago, now, but she still remembered that Heather had explained that it "felt good" and "made her forget." So now she had to figure out if Heather was trying to get the same effect with whatever this was. She read the label on the bowl. 'Pain reliever.' That sounded similar, but maybe not exactly the same. So, the question remained, should she let Heather do it?

For a normal person, such a long thought process would have taken minutes, but Ember's mental abilities allowed her to her all her thinking done within about twenty seconds. At the end of it, she ultimately decided that she should look at what Heather thought about it. She searched for Heather's intent within her mind and found that, yes indeed, she was searching for the same effect as what drinking did to her which meant that no, Ember should not allow her to. 

Ember closed the cabinet and said, very simply, "No."