The Cosmic Battle to Save the Thread

BringerofShadows

3 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

Ember looked up. She was still kneeling on the ground before the mirror, hands clasped in her lap. She blinked in surprise at Pheonix, unsure of what to say or do. She studied him with her eyes, trying to gauge his reason for coming. Was she in trouble? She hoped she wasn't in trouble...

"Star needs you," said Pheonix simply.

5 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

Ember cocked her head. "Oh," she said. She stood up to her full height, shoulders back in perfect posture, wondering why Star needed her. She picked at her charcoal fingernails apprehensively. 

"She's this way," remarked Pheonix, setting off down the corridor.

3 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

Ember followed obediently. As she sent her mental presence pulsing around her, she realized that they were getting closer to Heather. She bit her lip, growing more nervous. 

They reached the door and entered.

"Ember's here," said Pheonix.

Star smiled. "Oh, good! Ember, you're the only other Narrator on Heather's side, do you mind helping, um, heal her?"

Ember relaxed a little bit. "Heal her?" she asked. "From... what?"

"Uhh..." Star cleared her throat. "Just... clear her head, okay? Please?"

Ember swallowed, unsure of herself. She knew she wasn't good at Narrating. But for Star, she'd do anything. "Alright," she said. "... Alright." She paused. "How?"

Star's face fell. "Oh. Well... You just say what you want to happen and put power into the words and it just... works. You can do that, right, Ember?"

Ember nodded stiffly. "I think so... Yes. I think so..." 

Heather's mind was cleared...? Ember Narrated uncertainly. She flinched. She was so bad at this. Star wouldn't like her, she was bad... 

Star sighed. "All right, that should be good. I think. Thank you." She smiled. Well, that was awkward, she thought. Storm it, I wish I could help her myself...

Star smiled grimly. "I know, sweetheart. And I'm sorry. I know how much it hurts, I really do, but drinking just isn't going to help you. In the end, you'll only be causing yourself more pain. You have to understand that I wouldn’t tell you to do anything without your very best interest in mind. I care about you. I really do. You’ll make an effort for me? Please?” Star put all the authenticity she possibly could into her words. Keeping her eyes on Heather was hard. She wanted to look away from the shine of those all-too-familiar eyespikes. And yet, the very memories that made her want to turn away made it that much easier to look on her with love. She felt absolutely sick with herself. No one deserved the pain that hemalurgy came with. Least of all poor, innocent little Heather. 

Ember watched Star carefully. How was she always so kind and patient? She recalled something Heather had said to her once. "I know you're just a hot spark waiting to burn..." Ember clasped her hands behind her back, hanging her head in shame. She felt incredibly uncomfortable and out of place, but she didn't dare ask for Star to dismiss her, for fear that she might be speaking out of turn. 

Ruin? Ember thought. What is Ruin?

Star looked on Heather with deep sympathy and almost started crying herself from the vicarious sorrow she felt. "Oh, Heather." She sighed. "I... We... Hmmm..." Star thought for a moment. "It's likely that Ember could shield you, mentally."

Ember considered. That would be... helping. She could help!

Star continued to think. "Tom is pretty overpowered for a character," she muttered. "Ember, Xino, and I are Narrators. We've all seen combat before, so I wouldn't worry that much you about hurting us. I'm more worried about you. I mean... I have forcefields. If things get dicey, we could always lock you in one of those until the blood frenzy passes." She left out the part about her also taking damage if the forcefield got excessively battered. She didn't use forcefields all that much for a reason. But it would be worth it for Heather. 

Star smiled. "That's wonderful!" 

Ember picked at her nails. "Am I... good to go forward?"

"Yes, Ember."

Ember nodded and expanded into Heather's mind hesitantly. Her presence was awkward and very noticeable because of Ember's immense power and lack of experience. 

Star sighed. "Well, all that's done." She turned to Pheo. "You know Tom's agenda better than I do. What can we do to help?"

@Ookla the Blue

5 minutes ago, Ookla the Blue said:

"Explore, mostly," said Pheonix. "We've found a few things that look like they should be gates, but none seem to be working. But maybe there's a functional one hidden around here somewhere." He paused and grinned. "But those aren't the only things we've found."

Star smiled brightly. "And I'm assuming you're going to tell us what it is that you're so excited about?"