Society and Shades

Oltux72

The Simple Rules have more consequences. I do not see a way you could run a police service outside fortified cities. There is just no way you could forcibly arrest or threaten a suspect. "Stop or I shoot" is just not viable or even survivable. Which brings us to the question of penal systems. How do you run a prison? You cannot truly disarm anybody on Threnody. Everybody has a virtual suicide vest on. If I am willing to take you with me and there are Shades around, I just hit you hard enough to draw blood and here we go. I would say that Threnody knows no imprisonment as penalty. Fines, outlawry and death only.

This goes further. The wards around a place are vital, presuming a place is even warded. Sabotage is far easier and deadlier. In a place without wards a thrown stone can mean mass suicide. Threnodites must have an extremely low tolerance of foolishness, petty delinquency and mental illness. I suspect that such people are driven out into the Forest essentially to die.

6 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

The Simple Rules have more consequences. I do not see a way you could run a police service outside fortified cities. There is just no way you could forcibly arrest or threaten a suspect. "Stop or I shoot" is just not viable or even survivable. Which brings us to the question of penal systems. How do you run a prison? You cannot truly disarm anybody on Threnody. Everybody has a virtual suicide vest on. If I am willing to take you with me and there are Shades around, I just hit you hard enough to draw blood and here we go. I would say that Threnody knows no imprisonment as penalty. Fines, outlawry and death only.

This goes further. The wards around a place are vital, presuming a place is even warded. Sabotage is far easier and deadlier. In a place without wards a thrown stone can mean mass suicide. Threnodites must have an extremely low tolerance of foolishness, petty delinquency and mental illness. I suspect that such people are driven out into the Forest essentially to die.

Just going to raise one point and then leave it as we have gone on at length on the other thread. When Silence is ambushed by Red to steal her bounty, she remarks that Red had a cudgel and one of the women had a crossbow with blunted tips. 

"Silence studied Red's eyes., He was armed with a cudgel, and one of the women behind him had one of those new crossbows with the blunt tips. They cranked fast, and hit hard, but didn't draw blood."

So knocking out, breaking bones all viable. To me that says there are ways to apprehend without spilling blood. But as with the other thread, to each their own. Guess RAFO

10 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Threnodites must have an extremely low tolerance of foolishness, petty delinquency and mental illness. I suspect that such people are driven out into the Forest essentially to die.

A reasonable deduction although I would personally tweak it a bit.  I think for example that they must also care a great deal about compromise, good (or at least reasonable) manners, and have an equally low tolerance for anything that could raise someone's blood pressure.  Their society is also likely more egalitarian as any marginalized group would either die out or be excepted extremely quickly.

Edited by Karger

• 4 months later...
On 6/14/2019 at 1:51 PM, Oltux72 said:

Definitely

We saw Nazh's curt attitude towards Lady Sauvage in the newspaper clippings in Era 2, as much as we can trust her accounts (much more than Jak's accounts, that's for sure). Even with vast technological development on Threnody that social attitude remained with him, or at least that's how I'm interpreting that, though I do recognize that's only the second time we saw him interacting with another human being.

The "stop or I'll shoot" does become more viable around Scadrial era 2, as we saw with his shade gun.

As for penal system outside the forts, I think the system of bounty hunters we saw says more than enough.

Edited by Honorless
removed instances of repeated words