Nightblood is a returned

Karger

So one thing about Nightblood that has always intrigued me is his name.  Night blood.  A compound name like a returned.  His maker Shashara almost certainly new about this convention and I believe we have a WoB that Ruin was involved in his creation.  We know that it is possible to spike a breath out of someone via hemalurgy(Ruin's magic system).  What if Shashara found a returned and spiked out his divine breath?  She then used this breath to awaken Nightblood.  This would explain how he became so powerful and possibly his intelligence.

Edited by Karger

1 hour ago, Karger said:

What if Shashara found a returned and spiked out his divine breath?  She then used this breath to awaken Nightblood.  This would explain how he became so powerful and possibly his intelligence.

That would contradict both the letter and spirit of this WoB:

Viridian's eldest daughter

Did it take a life to create Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

Did it take a life to create Nightblood. It did not. It just required a lot of Breath, which you could assume each one is a little piece of a life so maybe. Multiple lives in that way but no one actually had to die. Good question.

Bands of Mourning release party (Jan. 25, 2016)

• 1 month later...

Can only humans return? what if Nightblood is some kind of returned shardblade? When we first see him in words of radiance he is described as a shardblade, no HUMAN had to die just a spren. I know this is a bit of a stretch and would undermine the fact that he was awakened, but if the Awakening happened at the same time as the radiant betraying their oath and the spren returned not to it's own corpse but to this new blade. This could also explain why he is sentient not just awakened.

3 hours ago, Booknerd said:

Can only humans return? what if Nightblood is some kind of returned shardblade? When we first see him in words of radiance he is described as a shardblade, no HUMAN had to die just a spren. I know this is a bit of a stretch and would undermine the fact that he was awakened, but if the Awakening happened at the same time as the radiant betraying their oath and the spren returned not to it's own corpse but to this new blade. This could also explain why he is sentient not just awakened.

Nightblood was made long after the Recreance, and on Nalthis, not Roshar, anyway. So it wouldn't work out.