Quick Fix Game 38: ZOMBIES

Alvron

"Why are we going to all the effort to harvest cow brains for Tanky Boi if we're just going to kill him again? Either we restrain him and try to placate him with food or we destroy him right now; doing both is inefficient. We can't just kill this Zombie and keep killing any others who may become undead, we have to figure out how this happened and shut down the problem at its source. We have multiple reports that Lum was attacked, but today, we need to find out where the threat is coming from."

“Exactly,” Ian said. “There is no point in trying to communicate with the zombies, to try and see what the message ‘WE WANT PEACE, NOT SUBJUGATION’ means if people are just going to bandwagon on the zombie. Why do people that lynching the zombie is the most effective way of carrying things out? If this continues we might have to suggest a counter-lynch.”

“In fact, if anything, the actions of Rath, Sart and Ark seem to be something close to an elim hammer, perhaps trying to to bar us from more information.”

Edited by I think I am here.

Actually, @I think I am here., I suggest we let the lynch stand. Even if it does prevent us from attempting communication with Lum, it will help us figure out what the lynch is capable of. And if you really care about talking to zombies, I predict there will likely be more.

10 minutes ago, Hemalurgic Headshot said:

Actually, @I think I am here., I suggest we let the lynch stand. Even if it does prevent us from attempting communication with Lum, it will help us figure out what the lynch is capable of. And if you really care about talking to zombies, I predict there will likely be more.

Ian grumbled in a way that somehow only Ian could.

“Alright, I guess so. I’ll change my third action then, buy for those people collecting brains, I don’t think that is pointless. When the next zombie cones around, we can use the brain a to coerce them into doing things such as help or talk to us.”

Edited by I think I am here.

I’m...reminded why I don’t usually join QFs: I’ve been MIA these last twelve hours trying to help my sister move into her new house and had no time or capacity to check the Shard. I’ll see what I can contribute before rollover, which is in...eight minutes?

Great. 

Yeah, thoughts coming next cycle :P 

4 minutes ago, Fifth Scholar said:

I’m...reminded why I don’t usually join QFs: I’ve been MIA these last twelve hours trying to help my sister move into her new house and had no time or capacity to check the Shard. I’ll see what I can contribute before rollover, which is in...eight minutes?

Great. 

Yeah, thoughts coming next cycle :P 

1 hour and 3 minutes till rollover.  This cycle was extended an hour to make things slightly easier on me.

21 minutes ago, Alvron said:

1 hour and 3 minutes till rollover.  This cycle was extended an hour to make things slightly easier on me.

Ah, perfect. Alright then, to lay out my brief thoughts: 

-Even if Lum is a symptom of a greater problem, and I believe that she is, I would like her dead if only to see what Zombies can do, as that’s presumably something we’d discover upon killing her. I’d also like to see how many more people fall to this blight this cycle, which might help determine OoA if zombies have a conversion ability. 

-I’m currently engaging in raids for supplies and weaponry, as well as attacking Lum with my stick to make sure she’s truly dead. If something happens to me as a result of the latter, that may be informative. 

Day 3: Wow, or rather, Cow!

Daisy the Cow munched idly on some grass.  The sun wasn’t shining but that was alright, it was still a nice day in Daisy’s mind.

She caught a movement out of the corner of her eye as four bipeds approached her.  She watched as they came closer only realising too late that they intended to cause harm.  Daisy the Cow let out a warning MMMOOOOOO to the rest of her herd as the bipeds attacked her with sticks and an axe.

As her blood seeped into the ground around her she saw her friends, her herd, coming to her rescue.  One of the bipeds that hurt her was trampled as it tried to get away.  Daisy felt no guilt at the death of them.  In fact she no longer felt anything at all.  Her final thought was that it would’ve been nice to feel the warmth of the sun one final time.

Meanwhile back in the makeshift refugee camp, Tanky Zomboi was growing more and more hungry.  He tried to restrain himself, after all these had been his friends at one stage, but the drive, the urge to feed was too strong.  A group of refugees stood off to the side talking.

Tanky Zomboi smelt it.  That wonderful, intoxicating smell, Blood.  He heard them before the others, the screams of the living.  It was too much, the smell, the noise, the HUNGER.  Tanky Zomboi leapt into the group in front of him, grabbing and feeding on the first one he could reach.  The rest tried to subdue him even going so far as to run him through with their pointed sticks but they missed his vital organs so he continued to feed on all within reach only stopping when his head was removed from his body.

Votes:
Lum: (6) Rath, Fifth, Sart, CadCom, Kidpen, Ax’s Boyfriend

Lumgol - Tanky Boi was lynched and killed and beheaded and is well and truly dead.
Hemalurgic Headshot - Bill Woodsman was killed by a Cow!  They were a Refugee with a Claymore Mine and a Sharpened Stick
Rathmaskal - Rash Williams is now a Zombie!
Cadmium Compounder - Andrew Andrewson is now a Zombie!
Sart - Sarah is now a Zombie!
Fifth Scholar - Friedrich was attacked by Lum and is now a Zombie!
Daisy the Cow has died.  
You Monsters!

This cycle will last 23 hours followed by a one hour rollover break.

Revealed Mechanic:
Lynching a Zombie causes half the voters (up to maximum of 4) to be Turned.  After all, in order to lynch them, you have to get close to the Zombie.  Close enough for it to infect you.

Important Information:
Terrain: Farmland
Weather: Sunny
Wind: Easterly (Headwind) breeze (One less vote needed for the lynch minimum)
Wildlife: Some Chickens are scratching around the farmhouse

As there is at least one refugee holding a Map, certain areas of interest are revealed.
A barn and farmhouse lie a short distance down a dirt road.  Smoke can be seen coming from the farmhouse chimney.
Graves can be seen nearby

Player List:

Elandera - Kyler O'Malley
Straw - Gustavus Adolphus
Rathmaskal - Rash Williams
Mailliw73 - Manny Darovious
Devotary of Spontaneity - Leon
StrikerEZ - Lachlan McZombie
Ventyl - Sean McSean
Butt Ad Venture - Butt Venture the second
I think I am here - I. Tiah
Cadmium Compounder - Andrew Andrewson
Snipexe - A. Pear O’Scissors
Hemalurgic Headshot - Bill Woodsman Refugee
Fifth Scholar - Friedrich
Lumgol - Tanky Boi Zombie
Ax's Boyfriend - Murder Hobo
Coop772 - Anonymous Refugee #1
Kidpen - Meta Character
xinoehp512 - Dr. Eibmoz
Sart - Sarah
WeebTrash - Subaru

Friedrich, or the person who had once been Friedrich, stood up slowly from the kneeling posture he had been assuming on the ground. Dimly, he registered a stick in his hands, impaling a corpse which bled crimson from every pore. Truly, his fellow zombie had been ripped to shreds by the unenlightened mobs of humanity. He had participated in this foolish exercise himself. But no more. The wound on his arm seemed to bring him the clarity he needed to complete a work which had already begun in earnest. 

Friedrich had naïvely assumed that zombies were brainless brutes, driven by bloodlust and passion, and unsuitable to form any sort of community or organised effort. How startlingly wrong, how presumptuous, he had been! The humans were truly the ones which lacked strategy and coordination. Had they—had he—possessed the immense stupidity to come within infection range of a foe? Or to antagonise a herd of sacred calf that trampled those who opposed them? 

Surely, if all humanity merely possessed the enlightenment which this new state conferred upon him, the world would be infinitely better for it! Was he dominated by his lust for brains to consume? He had felt inclinations, true, and an immense irritation and loathing towards humanity, but he was not slave to these passions. Not as the humans were slaves to their desire for “preservation” and “survival,” or for their mindless prejudice against a race of beings they would never understand. And their petty squabbles! The division, the lack of unity among this supposed higher race! He tested his vocal chords, confident he could remain intelligible, and addressed Leon. Friedrich had thought him the most sensible of the group; perhaps he alone would see reason. 

“Friend, you see that you fight a losing cause,” Friedrich croaked out. His voice was too raspy for his liking—he winced internally. “Submit yourselves to us, and we may end this bloodshed, this senseless conflict, with a unity which transcends any truce or understanding you may form as mere humans, but with the true oneness of purpose which your new station shall confer upon you.”

“More Zambies! Ha Ha! I told you all that if you don’t follow me you’ll become Zambies! I told you!”

He looks over the arrayed group and makes *disappointed noises*

“I will go to the people living in the nearby house to see if they wish to be saved!”

Well this seems bad...perhaps chickens would be easier to kill? Should we do the same thing as last time?

There are also people nearby in the farm house, maybe we should talk to them before stealing their chickens?

There will be a zombie attack tonight, I feel it in my gut...also there are graves.

1 hour ago, Mailliw73 said:

Careful with the farmhouse. I spied on it and got an instant result that a man is pointing a shotgun towards us. 

Got it. Anyway, as much as I would like to RP my way through this game I feel it would be better to organise my thoughts if I don’t for now. Now, we have three zombies. It seems Fifth’s zombie can talk? Maybe this is a special role thing, or am I understanding that any zombie can talk and it is up to the player’s discretion what ‘zombie-like RP’ is?

Regardless, my action to distribute berries and fruits was successful. I did get a sharp throwing rock and a bit of milk, which was enough to satiate my hunger. I tried to how to communicate with the zombies, but it said that Lum went into a blood frenzy before that could happen, which I assume was their attack.

So, each zombie has a conversion attack? Anyway, the answer’s obviously that we don’t lynch anymore zombies, which means we should probably work with them. Can zombies make the same type of actions we can (open ended)? Because if so, that’s great, because it seems the only way to win will be to work with the zombies. For some reason I feel that winning might lie with outing the ‘original’ zombie, or the one that converted Lum, and that these other zombies are bait. In the write up it showed the original zombie can speak eloquently, which maybe says that they are among us?

Anyway, despite knowledge that Fifth’s zombie can speak, I’m still going to use my actions to 

1. Try to learn how to communicate with zombies,

2. Walk towards the farmhouse

3. Lay down my weapon and try to negotiate peace with the farmhouse man, asking for food

We need to establish communication with the zombies sooner rather than later for sure. I was given milk and it did not help my hunger which is concerning, as my hunger is now at 1 and as such I can only take 2 actions instead of 3. My actions, tentatively, are to assist @I think I am here. in establishing communication, and exploring the barn next to the farmhouse. Mailliw, would you like to explain your "spying"?