Quick Fix Game 38: ZOMBIES

Alvron

12 minutes ago, Kidpen said:

I enjoyed that a lot! Trying to come up with clever actions to take was fun. @Elandera so how'd you know I was only pretending to be a zombie?

I noticed your name was still black on the player list, pointed it out to Alv, and all he said was "Interesting." When it never went red, I figured something was up.

1 hour ago, Elandera said:

I noticed your name was still black on the player list, pointed it out to Alv, and all he said was "Interesting." When it never went red, I figured something was up.

Dang. I noticed that and wondered if it would make anyone suspicious. Kudos to you.

Also, thanks Alv for running the game!

On 6/28/2019 at 3:03 AM, Elandera said:

One mechanical note: I think I stopped exploring action options once I became a Zombie, because I thought the only thing I could do was attack. I think that might have contributed to me not considering crossing the bridge.

You weren't the only one.  Almost all the Zombies stopped using their actions except to attack.

Personally I'm very, very disappointed that none of the Zombies thought to get together and Thriller dance.

On 6/28/2019 at 8:05 AM, Butt Ad Venture said:

Thank you for running my first game Alvron! I wasn't as active as I wanted to be and kinda ruined the refugee's chances with my plan to attack the farmer, but it was fun!

I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope you join us for many more games.  You didn't really ruin the chance with the farmer.

There were four possible Events I have in the game.  Day 1, if anyone used their claymore mines then a group of Zombies would've been drawn in and have to be dealt with.  D3 was the Farmer, the first to approach without being careful would've been shot dead.  The players would then have to decide if they retreated to safety of if they attacked and overwhelmed the farmer, resulting in the death of both the farmer and the little girl.  The Farmhouse would then become lootable with guns and food.  D5 and D7 were triggered and we know how those turned out.

If I was to run this type game again it would have to be as a LG with separate Day/Night cycles.  I must say though that I was very surprised by just how much everyone got into the game and how much thinking went into the actions.  Well, all but trying to kill a cow with pointed sticks.  Do you know how thick a cows hide is?  You might've made it if you at least separated the cow from the herd first.  Besides, the beehives were the target you should've gone for.  Honey and Wax are very useful items, not to mention the possibility of gaining a Jar of Bees.  Very useful for distracting those pesky Zombies. :P 

22 minutes ago, Alvron said:

If I was to run this type game again it would have to be as a LG with separate Day/Night cycles.  I must say though that I was very surprised by just how much everyone got into the game and how much thinking went into the actions.  Well, all but trying to kill a cow with pointed sticks.  Do you know how thick a cows hide is?  You might've made it if you at least separated the cow from the herb first.  Besides, the beehives were the target you should've gone for.  Honey and Wax are very useful items, not to mention the possibility of gaining a Jar of Bees.  Very useful for distracting those pesky Zombies. :P 

How did we all get Sharpened Sticks? Was that Maill’s work? I felt like I was the third person in the Monty Python “Self Defence Against Fresh Fruit” sketch, especially as a zombie, when I worried that I was going to get mobbed by refugees attacking me with the pointed sticks. I guess the cow did learn how to adequately defend itself, though :P 

Sadly, with three months gone by, it’s time to close up another excellent game. Thanks for Alv for coming off his break from GMing with this—I don’t think the premise of the game would have grabbed me had it not been for his writeups, and way of explaining events. Certainly, there was excellent player engagement with the setting, fostered by Alv’s mechanics which encouraged RP, and a lot of creativity with the open-ended action system. While not balanced precisely, the mechanics, combined with individual player actions, served to roughly equalise things, and the game was quite fun either way. Finally, congratulations to Straw and Maill for escaping the hordes of zombies and finding refuge. Have fun trying to rebuild humanity in a world puppetmastered by Alv. :P 

As always, if anyone would like to try their hand at running a game, please get ahold of Wilson, Orlok, Alvron or myself. Not only will we get you added to the list, but we'd also be more than willing to help out in any way we can.

You can also ask questions and get some hints and feedback from everyone in our Art of Game Creation thread. With all the games that we've run so far, we have plenty of experienced GMs that can help you refine any game you're thinking about. If you would rather keep some detail secret, or are self-conscious about posting in thread (there's really no need to be; while we do slaughter each other, we are very polite about it), then I'm sure one of our fantastic committee members (Elbereth, Amanuensis, Aonar, A Joe in the Bush, or Stink) would be more than willing to help you out in private.

Thanks again to everyone that played, and we look forward to killing seeing you in future games! :ph34r: