What happened to the Steelheart movie?

Vissy

Just that really. It's been a bit quiet here recently, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has heard anything about the Steelheart movie that was announced to be in the works in 2015. I was actually fairly excited about this project back when it got announced!

As far as what I remember about this:

Movie rights owned by 20th Century Fox. Screenwriting by Carter Blanchard, and unlike most Sanderson IPs that just get their movie rights bought and then not heard about since, this project was actually announced which means it should eventually make it onto the screen. Then in 2016 or so Disney acquired 20th Century Fox. Has the project been suspended now? Is it still being worked on?

The only thing I've heard was from last year's State of the Sanderson.  

Steelheart
The Reckoners series was optioned some years ago now by 21 Laps, Shawn Levy’s company, using backing from Fox. We were happy when they renewed their option this past summer, as we weren’t certain what the status of this would be in light of the Fox–Disney merger. It seems they’re planning to take the Reckoners with them through the process, which is good news.

This was an exciting deal, as Mr. Levy has done some great work—including the film Real Steel, which was an excellent adaptation of the original story. (And, of course, he was heavily involved with Stranger Things on Netflix.) Beyond that, it came with the implicit promise of support from Fox, meaning that we could skip the “finding a studio” step. That said, this is still in the screenplay stage.

Yeah, the most recent State of the Sanderson discusses this. I don't know if I'd like to see a Steelheart movie right now with so many superhero movies making the screen. I feel others would rather see Marvel/DC before this which could damage the options for other series.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 11:20 PM, Wander89 said:

Yeah, the most recent State of the Sanderson discusses this. I don't know if I'd like to see a Steelheart movie right now with so many superhero movies making the screen. I feel others would rather see Marvel/DC before this which could damage the options for other series.

I actually think right now is a really good time for a movie like Steelheart. People are starting to talk about superhero movie fatigue, and what better to capitalize on that then a movie about killing superheroes.

58 minutes ago, Snipexe said:

I actually think right now is a really good time for a movie like Steelheart. People are starting to talk about superhero movie fatigue, and what better to capitalize on that then a movie about killing superheroes.

I agree, we don't necessarily need Marvel/DC superhero movies for it to work. See: Brightburn.

• 1 year later...

Hello

I feel that anyone who would watch this movie would absolutely love it and would have a following beyond the books. I think that their ticket in will be with advertising and a top notch trailer. 
I read the first two books over a year ago and just read Calamity and finished it in 4 days. Phenomenal. 
I would love nothing more than to have us a movie, maybe even a trilogy ;)

• 3 months later...

Hey there, welcome to the Shard! Brandon gave an update on this in his 2019 State of the Sanderson.

Option lapsed at Fox just last month. This wasn’t surprising, as after the Fox/Disney merger, there wasn’t much of a chance that Disney would greenlight a non-Marvel superhero project. Instead of immediately going out to shop this again though, I’m taking a few months to consider how I want to approach film and television.

That is, as far as I'm aware, the latest info on a Steelheart movie. Sorry.

By the way, we generally prefer around here that people not post in threads that have been dead for a while. It looks like the last real activity here was about a year ago. I hope you enjoy your time on the forums! ^_^