Ammanas

Interludes

3 posts in this topic

I didn’t really know where to put this, but we all know about the Interlude chapters in Stormlight Archives right? Well ever since Stormlight books started coming out I have seen many other authors include them in there stories. Those include O’Keefe’s Velocity Weapon, David Mealing’s series, A Memory called Empire, plus a few others that I can’t think of right now. Did Brandon invent this format of telling a story? Rotating a small number of p.o.v’s with these interludes that tell what’s going in with the rest of the world? Has Brandon ever talked about any inspiration behind the format he’s chosen?

On 13/06/2019 at 1:13 AM, Ammanas said:

I didn’t really know where to put this, but we all know about the Interlude chapters in Stormlight Archives right? Well ever since Stormlight books started coming out I have seen many other authors include them in there stories. Those include O’Keefe’s Velocity Weapon, David Mealing’s series, A Memory called Empire, plus a few others that I can’t think of right now. Did Brandon invent this format of telling a story? Rotating a small number of p.o.v’s with these interludes that tell what’s going in with the rest of the world? Has Brandon ever talked about any inspiration behind the format he’s chosen?

I wouldn't say Brandon invented this format of story-telling, I'm sure Dune even used Interludes to tell it's story. Stephen King's IT has them, I'm sure American Gods by Neil Gaiman, too. I agree that he did utilise the format to master his story-telling effectively though.

Interludes has always been a thing in some shape I think. An old Stephen King book in swedish that I own have them. But to have random characters who dont show up ever again, like Ishikk or Baxil, might have been something that he did first.