Secret History Question (spoiler for Oathbringer)

John Wayne

Question

Just finished Mistborn Secret History and it eye opening! I do have a question though. When Kelsier encounters Hoid in the Well of Ascension, he notices that Hoid's eyes are glowing. My first thought was that Hoid was using stormlight for something during their battle. But after review of when the books are supposed to take place, the first Mistborn trilogy is set before Oathbringer. Since we see Hoid gain a Spren in Oathbringer I assumed that he did not have access to that investiture prior to that time. So my question is: Why were Hoid's eyes glowing? 

7 answers to this question

Honestly, Hoid's origins are so mysterious and weird, and his travels and abilities on top of that, that his eyes could be glowing for a dozen reasons. We just don't know right now. But I highly doubt Stormlight is the only way to get an eye glowing effect.

Shallan gets a sense of how immensely old Hoid is from his eyes during the events of Oathbringer, before he bonded the Cryptic. That impression could have been him doing some creative Lightweaving or it could have been something else, but it's another indication that his eyes aren't completely 'normal' even before the last scene. There's a couple other things that we know that can do weird things to your eyes and given that Hoid's spiritweb probably looks like something a spider that's been given an inordiante amount of gin might weave, there's probably half a dozen things we don't know of that could make his eyes look weird to Kelsier's sight.

I'm pretty sure that's just the whole "eyes to the spirit" thing manifesting like the glowing metal. Since it's Hoid's physical body the representation of Investiture gateways stays the same, with the glow. Unnoticeable in most people, but Hoid is full to bursting with the stuff, so no doubt it leaks out.

In multiple threads it talks about how the eyes could be considered a window into the soul. When present in the cognitive realm certain beings may appear differently depending on the investiture they possess. This possibility in light, Hoid's eyes would be shiny enough to make note of indeed.