How literal was pattern about being replaced?

Renen

In the scene right after Adolin is proposing to teach Shallan swordplay, Shallan and pattern are discussing her panic attacks. Feeling guilty about being used to kill Shallan's mother pattern says "I can die Shallan. I can go. They will send you another one to bond." (not direct quote, listening to audiobook atm) 

Is pattern claiming that in the even he is dead and gone, the Cryptics would send Shallan a replacement? Would they be so desperate to have just one more radiant in the fight as to send a replacement to someone who killed their previous spren? 

38 minutes ago, Renen said:

Is pattern claiming that in the even he is dead and gone, the Cryptics would send Shallan a replacement? Would they be so desperate to have just one more radiant in the fight as to send a replacement to someone who killed their previous spren? 

Shallan is a truly amazing lightweaver.  Also I always thought that the Cryptics have some method of monitoring her progress and mindset.  How else would they know who to send radiant spren to?  Still he might have actually been lying or just testing the waters to see how their relationship was(although that is a bit out of character for him). 

Edited by Karger

Yeah I think that they would. Cryptics are kinda strange. They don't really mind "dying" as much as the other spren seem to. Pattern seems pretty sure that she can die and get another spren to bond. And considering the number of Cryptics hanging around important people, it seems like they would catch on fast and be able to send someone else quickly.

12 minutes ago, Karger said:

Shallan is a truly amazing lightweaver.  Also I always thought that the Cryptics have some method of monitoring her progress and mindset.  How else would they know who to send radiant spren to?  Still he might have actually been lying or just testing the waters to see how their relationship was(although that is a bit out of character for him). 

Pattern is really terrible at lying. So I think he was being totally sincere. Whether he's right is another question, but Cryptics are weird in general so...

Pattern also mentions that he fully expects to die by that it's worth it to research and learn about the humans and physical realm. It's possible that the other Cryptics feel that the risk of dying is worth it as well. 

Yeah, it is more what cfphelps wrote. Pattern says they want to understand humans and the bond better. They come off very much like scientists experimenting. Though in their case, they do not mind the idea of losing themselves so long as they learn something new. 

In this context, I am asking myself how the Spren communicate with each other. Is Pattern able to send information "home" to the other Cryptics in Shadesmar via some linkage? Or is he able to go back to the CR every now ("off-screen") and then to report? Otherwise he would die for nothing as he leaves the other Cryptics no wiser...

27 minutes ago, equinox said:

In this context, I am asking myself how the Spren communicate with each other. Is Pattern able to send information "home" to the other Cryptics in Shadesmar via some linkage? Or is he able to go back to the CR every now ("off-screen") and then to report? Otherwise he would die for nothing as he leaves the other Cryptics no wiser...

Well they had been watching Shallan while her bond with Pattern had regressed. Don't see why they couldn't still be observing during the bond. Theoretically even if she does kill Pattern, they got to watch what led up to his death, to learn to try a different approach or different person. They also tried with Tien and Elhokar so they could be doing a sampling size of various backgrounds and sexes. Shallan was a young girl when she initially bonded Pattern. Tien a young boy. Elhokar an adult, but ruler and lighteyes while Tien was a villager and darkeyes. 

Edited by Pathfinder

So they may not have Patterns full experience, but are able to observe. Right.. I completely forgot about the observation part. And this may even be enough for a Cryptic. They seem to think in numbers anyway. Feelings and personal impressions should be less important for such rational beings...

3 hours ago, equinox said:

So they may not have Patterns full experience, but are able to observe. Right.. I completely forgot about the observation part. And this may even be enough for a Cryptic. They seem to think in numbers anyway. Feelings and personal impressions should be less important for such rational beings...

I have this sudden image of Pattern humming/tapping in Morse code for other Cryptics to pick up.

Hmmmm Hm. Hmmmm Hmmmm Hmmmm. Hmmmm Hmmmm. Hm Hmmmm. Hmmmm. Hm Hm. Hmmmm Hm. Hmmmm Hmmmm Hm.

Edited by RShara

30 minutes ago, RShara said:

It's only a code if he's intending to actually communicate words with it. Pretty sure his humming is just thoughtful sounds, like people when they go Hmmmm to think.

His voice and laughter also sound a lot like buzzing.

45 minutes ago, RShara said:

No worries. I don't think anyone has figured it out yet, anyway :D

Oh yes, I did and upvoted you for it. Thanks for the lough! I hope though that this restriction is not necessary anymore, now that Shallan and Adolin are married :lol:

I had a theory that Cryptics are more concerned with quality than quantity. They study, analyze, determine who would be the best Lightweaver candidates, then work to ensure that those candidates progress. They'd rather potentially lose a few spren to get an assured level 5 that they fully understand, than to have a bunch of Cryptics bond people who maybe might fit their designs. And--controversial theory warning--I believe this is because Cryptics are the diametric opposite to Honorspren within the radiant orders. Cryptics are the true "Cultivation" spren--while cultivationspren are the "iconic" manifestation of Cultivation (vines, gardening, etc.) and would say they're the "most like Cultivation" (referencing Brandon's WoB that honorspren might not necessarily be the most "like Honor"), it's actually the Cryptics who are the purest of Cultivation's influence.

But it's just a theory. I have evidence for it, but I imagine most will disagree.

11 hours ago, equinox said:

Oh yes, I did and upvoted you for it. Thanks for the lough! I hope though that this restriction is not necessary anymore, now that Shallan and Adolin are married :lol:

Hahaha yeah that would make things sort of awkward!

• Chaos locked this topic