White Sand 3 Reveals

Karger

• 6 months later...
On 6/12/2019 at 3:18 AM, Ookla the Prolific said:

Now that we are expecting White Sand 3 we are going to have a bunch more Cosmere knowledge.  Any predictions on what we might learn over the course of the novel?

Maybe update this topic to predict the Darkside GNs? :D

Things I saw coming (I had not read the prose version) was Khriss' inability to Master and Kenton's one ribbon versatility netting him a win.

Truthfully, White Sand 2's Trell was the spit-take moment for me and nothing here topped it, but part 3's still my favourite and I preferred it's handling of the story better than the same in the prose version (though for parts 1 & 2, I preferred the corresponding section of the story in prose)

10 hours ago, Honorless said:

Maybe update this topic to predict the Darkside GNs? :D

Maybe but we don't have a release date for them and honestly I think I will just make a new topic.

Also I agree that we learned basically nothing of Cosmere significance.

59 minutes ago, King of Herdaz said:

Um, what about Baon using sand mastery?

That is interesting but not particularly significant.  We have seen plenty of people use sand mastery before.

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

1 hour ago, King of Herdaz said:

Um, what about Baon using Sand Mastery?

That is interesting and raises some questions but I think the OP meant Cosmere-wide significance (given it's a Khriss novel).

Baon having the capacity to Master means either Baon has Daysider blood or the capacity to Master isn't dependent on or as dependent on heritage. It might also mean that not everyone on Darkside can use the Shifting Colors.

Edited by Honorless

Just now, Honorless said:

I think if you look up 'unclear' in a dictionary, that portion of Khriss' essay with "different form of initiation than Vax" would be the example it would use.

I believe it also says different from metallic arts.

On 12/27/2019 at 1:14 AM, Ookla the Prolific said:

My point is that this means Sand Mastery is not hereditary and we knew it was not so that fact that we have an example it is not is not exactly helpful.

Yeah, yeah, I got that :D That's why I said it's frustrating. That was a cliffhanger ending that we won't get back to for years. Taldain's Investiture systems are the among the ones we know the least about. We know more than just their effect but not enough. Ugh! 

Edited by Honorless

• 1 month later...
On 26/12/2019 at 8:44 PM, Karger said:

My point is that this means Sand Mastery is not hereditary and we knew it was not so that fact that we have an example it is not is not exactly helpful.

Not exactly. There is a subtle difference. The Metallic Arts have inheritance by potential. Even if your parents never burned metal you still can inherit the ability. In such a case scattering the practitioners of the power and cutting transmission of lore from generation to generation won't work.

That scattering the people who practice sandmastery would eradicate sandmastery is implied in volume#2. Baon shows us that it is not quite so simple. Yet there are far too many people whose ancestors were sandmasters to dismiss inheritance out of hand. As far as we know Sandmastery can still be semicontagious. Your showing the ability may depend on actual exposure to a sandmaster.

24 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Not exactly. There is a subtle difference. The Metallic Arts have inheritance by potential. Even if your parents never burned metal you still can inherit the ability. In such a case scattering the practitioners of the power and cutting transmission of lore from generation to generation won't work.

That scattering the people who practice sandmastery would eradicate sandmastery is implied in volume#2. Baon shows us that it is not quite so simple. Yet there are far too many people whose ancestors were sandmasters to dismiss inheritance out of hand. As far as we know Sandmastery can still be semicontagious. Your showing the ability may depend on actual exposure to a sandmaster.

Kriss says in Elantris Arcanum that it’s not inherited. Or at least not in the way scadrial does it

Edited by Eternal Khol

30 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

But Khriss says otherwise so we are back to square one.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/26/2019 at 9:29 AM, R J said:

Baon having the capacity to Master means either Baon has Daysider blood or the capacity to Master isn't dependent on or as dependent on heritage. It might also mean that not everyone on Darkside can use the Shifting Colors.

What is the Shifting Colors? I don't remember reading about in the graphic novel, neither does it have a coppermind entry.

4 minutes ago, The_Elsecaller said:

What is the Shifting Colors? I don't remember reading about in the graphic novel, neither does it have a coppermind entry.

It's towards the end of chapter 5 of volume 2 when Khriss was experimenting with the sand. It's in the bottom right frame on the page.

21 minutes ago, The_Elsecaller said:

It's expanded upon a bit more in the prose. It's the Darkside system of Investiture.