Public Opinions  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate your enjoyment of Phase 2, Rivers of Blood (RoB)?

• Excellent! :D
    • Good. :)
    • Average :|
    • Bad. :(
    • Terrible! >:(
    • Didn't read or participate/no opinion
  2. 2. Will you participate in Phase 3, The Taste of Death (ToD)

3. 3. Are you satisfied with the way the main plot has been run?

Voidus handed assignments to everyone and seemed to pause for a moment, eyes lingering on Laurelai once more.

Here we go. She thought, closing her eye and awaiting what was about to happen. Well he still said the three of us so maybe it won't be instant death at least?

"Let us move on then, and we can finally put an end to this." Voidus said, turning around and proceeding down the Alley.

What? He's still going to wait? What could I have done that's so terrible but also keeps getting put off?

She felt her stomach knot up further in anxiety as her punishment was deferred once again. She almost wanted to just scream at Voidus and tell him to get it over with already, this waiting without knowing was giving her an incredible tension headache, she felt nauseous, a little faint. But ultimately that was still better than death, so she kept silent and began walking quietly after him.

You alright? Lita sent. 
Any idea of what we’re supposed to do when we get to the Vortex?

Lita felt a sudden jolt of irritation pass through her. Not irritation at Lita, but at herself. She'd allowed someone she was supposed to be helping to see her in a state like this, to worry about her. It had been a number of years now since that had last happened, not since before she'd joined the Dark Alley. 

I'm- Laurelai paused mid-message. She'd been about to say that she was fine and not to worry about it. But she knew it wouldn't convince her anyway. Lita was a Tineye, she could probably hear the rapid palpitations of Laurelai's heart, could probably see the sheen of sweat that she was barely keeping at bay. And even without those supernatural senses she could probably read Laurelai's face enough to see her fear.

I'm a little terrified. She admitted finally. Scratch that, I'm extremely terrified. I keep worrying that he's just going to whirl around and disintegrate me or something.

She took a deep breath, feeling the cool air of the Alley slide into her lungs. The sensation was calming, she felt her heart slow a little as they travelled. She'd always found the Alleys calming, relaxing. Well, once she'd gotten used to ignoring the whispering horrors that lay just out of sight anyway.

But I guess there's no point worrying about it. It still hasn't happened yet somehow so maybe it never will. Not like I could do anything to stop it anyway, about as useful to worry about that as worrying about an meteor killing us all.

That seemed to help somehow. There were plenty of things that could kill her instantly, there wasn't enough time in the day to spend worrying about them all. If she couldn't do anything then there wasn't much point worrying about it.

She felt the knot in her stomach loosen a little, her muscles relaxing as the stress faded.

I suppose on the plus side investigating a giant mass of Investiture that's trying to destroy the city feels much less dangerous now.

She gave Lita a small smile as they walked.

Not sure that there'll be that much for us to do regardless of what they say, but at least we can keep our eyes open. Like they said, watch out for anyone suspicious.
@ZincAboutIt

2 hours ago, Voidus said:

I'm a little terrified. She admitted finally. Scratch that, I'm extremely terrified. I keep worrying that he's just going to whirl around and disintegrate me or something.

Lita pressed her lips together, clenching her teeth. She couldn't tell her. She would not. There was absolutely no way she'd get out of it alive, and anyway, Laurelai would never believe her. A waste, really. No point.

Coward, the voice whispered. Lita wrinkled her nose, then breathed out in one tiny, frustrated burst.

Don't you think he'd have done it already? She sent back to Laurelai. Doesn't seem the type to draw it out like this. Anyway, he clearly thinks your valuable. Your Forgery - that's a serious talent. An asset. Honestly, I'm not sure what I'm doing here. Sure, I can keep a lookout, but I've got a feeling that any one of those three could detect something suspicious faster than I could blink, tin or no.

Now that she said it, the thought made her a little nervous. She was basically useless. Brand new, untrained. Weak.

"The Dark Alley can build on weakness," the Stranger had said. 

"But it will devour the weak," Lita whispered. She had to prove herself here. Laurelai was untouchable, whether she knew it or not. KanMien was a respected colleague. Who was Lita? No one. Not yet, anyway. She reached her hand into her pocket and drew out her third vial of tin, flicking off the cork and knocking it back all in one go. 

Damon walked somberly to Zokora's side. 'I have returned.' He was bleeding in several places, his clothing torn, and one of his holsters was empty. 'As little use as I was.'

Better late than never. Damon had a long journey(offscreen):D.

@Sorana

Edited by ElendVenture

8 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

She reached her hand into her pocket and drew out her third vial of tin, flicking off the cork and knocking it back all in one go. 

I love this for character development reasons but also don't want Lita to destroy herself.
Why do you make me feel things?!?

7 minutes ago, Voidus said:

I love this for character development reasons but also don't want Lita to destroy herself.
Why do you make me feel things?!?

Oh, she's still got one more vial left. >:)  The feels have only just begun.

14 hours ago, Silva said:

She glanced at Lusk momentarily before standing on her toes to secure another piece with some tape. It was easier to hold it up with Wes there.

"There's a Vortex absorbing Investiture, a DA member here which is causing Mike to be terrified, and Harmony knows what else going on and you have nothing better to do than ask that?" Freedom kept her eyes firmly on the ceiling. A wrinkle in the foil was exposing some of it, so she smoothed it out. "It's been days. Not much has changed."

After making sure nothing else was noticeably visible, she looked at him again. Her demeanor changed a little. He was the reason she was there and not stuck in a tunnel somewhere. Sure, Lusk wasn't perfect, but to an extent she could tell he cared. For a second, she stopped storing subconsciously and returned to her default teenager appearance. Despite lasting just a moment, the slip reminded her exactly why Lusk was important. She was an amatuer at it all. And he knew more on the matter than anyone else.

"But thank you."

Wes continued to place the aluminium foil along the roof. He smoothed out any creases he could find, and when he approached near the Vortex he made sure to work as efficiently as possible. Up close, the Vortex was much scarier. A single mistake and Wes would be gone, maybe an abomination in his place. He gulped and continued to work.

—-

The edge of Lusk’s mouth curved upwards in a very slight smile. Nolastname hadn’t ever been grateful for Lusk’s efforts. Maybe the prospect of training this Atium Ferring wasn’t as impossible as Lusk originally thought, especially when he’d realised the trainee was a teenage girl.

“You’re welcome,” he said, and looked out the glass window of the PlasmaCore building.

“The AlleyStorm is coming,” he said quietly, clasping his hands behind his back and making himself younger so he didn’t need the cane to stand. “With it will come a boost of power, enough to cause this,” he gestured to the Vortex. “Go beserk.”

“However, it’ll also provide a valuable training opportunity. The AlleyStorm will enhance our powers like it enhances all others. It will be useful to train in those conditions, but that is, of course, if we don’t get blown to atoms first.” He turned back to the Vortex. “This aluminium theory better work, or the DA’s our only hope of shutting it down, and I’d rather not place the fate of the Alleyverse into the hands of the people who made the Phoenix.”

Zokora walked to the side of the road, waited for Damon to follow. She made sure to stay close enough to be listen should Baker Pi should reply, but she wated to offer Damon some privacy.

"What do you have to report?"

she asked him. He was injured, but as he was still able to walk, it couldn't be too grave. The risk of a spy. She would need to remember to write a message to Althea, asking her to promote him.

@ElendVenture

==================================

Mike grabbed the foil again.

"Let's be quick. Maybe we can finish it, before the DA arrives."

He told Seom and handed her the tape again. Then he followed Wes example and continued to cover the walls in foil. Aluminum was enough. Nobody ever said it had to be thick. They only needed to cover every single spot.

@Ark's Boyfriend

Damon followed. "In many ways, I have seen much, in some ways, I have seen very little. I heard that a woman in near invincible armor was planning to assault one of our bases. If she carried through, It likely already happened a while ago." Damon paused, than continued. "I encountered a scientist with some kinds of papers detailing with PlasmaCore details. A few hours later, When I returned from a little mission that I was sent on to attack some DAs, a TUBA and some DAs had made it up to the top of the PlasmaCore building. Very few PlasmaCore members were still there, probably all fighting or dead." He paused once more to tighten the bandage on his arm. "I overheard two DAs talking, proposing making a move to tighten their grip on the city; I think the Dark Alley is going to try to use technology they got from PlasmaCore to do it. Now I don't have any proof of that. Just a theory."

Damon straightened and traced the edge of his holster with his fingertip absently.

@Sorana

Edited by ElendVenture

15 minutes ago, ElendVenture said:

"I overheard two DAs talking, proposing making a move to tighten their grip on the city; I think the Dark Alley is going to try to use technology they got from PlasmaCore to do it. Now I don't have any proof of that. Just a theory."

Where did he hear that?

3 hours ago, kenod said:

Where did he hear that?

3 hours ago, ElendVenture said:

"I don't have any proof of that. Just a theory."   

The last part is just Damon's guess. As for the first part, Mac said something to that degree a few days ago, I think.

Please keep it logical Elend ^_^

Iirc your character was part of the forces sent to attack the Black crusade. So maybe something about how PlasmaCore communicates, controls their monsters, or their structure. That there are more intelligent ones and less intelligent creatures.

You can make up some things in that regard (as long as it's logical), but not when it comes to others guilds.

@ElendVenture

Don't you think he'd have done it already? Lita sent back. Doesn't seem the type to draw it out like this. Anyway, he clearly thinks your valuable. Your Forgery - that's a serious talent. An asset.

Laurelai blinked at that, giving Lita a sidelong glance. She hadn't heard anyone call her abilities an asset before, she'd proven useful sometimes certainly, but Forgery wasn't exactly seen as one of the most useful of Investitures. By Selish standards it wasn't anything flashy, not like Aons that could blast beams of energy or teleport across great distances in an instant. The DA tended to have a better view of it than most did, but ultimately Forgery couldn't create anything that couldn't be created some other way anyway, it was just a little faster sometimes. Fabrials were a larger source of interest, the mechanics of how the placement of differently infused gems could create various effects. But Forgery was ultimately just an imitation of things that other people could do without any powers.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I'm doing here. Sure, I can keep a lookout, but I've got a feeling that any one of those three could detect something suspicious faster than I could blink, tin or no. Lita continued, interrupting Laurelai's thoughts.

Again Laurelai found herself surprised, she;d been envying Lita's abilities only earlier today, the powers of a Tineye, especially one as talented as Lita seemed to be, were an ideal fit for the work they needed to do.

If you want to use them as a benchmark then I seriously doubt there's anything I can do that they couldn't do as well. Laurelai replied. She felt her tension ease a little further as she smiled wryly. Comparing yourself to people who can create universes might not be the best benchmark to be setting when trying to gauge your usefulness.

@ZincAboutIt

Posting this here as well given that this is going to be noticeable city-wide. Not sure how we'll handle things going forward, might just make OOC posts to update if anything changes in the other thread.

The headwind had picked up in a familiar portent, she could almost taste the Investiture that was to come. A sharp, energetic taste coupled with the fierce wind that was no wind. The Alleystorm those who crawled on the ground had called it. She simply called it delicious.

She had no current need to refill any of her stores, but the storm would fill them above their normal capacity anyway, she would be able to enjoy the limitless use of her abilities for a short while until the storm passed. The intoxicating feeling was enough that she'd often considered simply riding the storm as it passed over the continent and beyond, luxuriating in a life of infinite energy welling up within her as fast as she could use it.

But this excess was only so pleasurable because she had the time without in between. Experiencing that all the time would simply lessen the experience from the extraordinary to the ordinary. From marvel to routine. The ruler of wind and fire enjoyed the chaos of the storm, its unpredictability. If it became her permanent state then it would no longer feel wild, and that would be the worst fate she could imagine for it.

She angled herself a little higher and began banking, allowing the wind to catch her from the back now. She felt it ruffle through her feathers as it took some of the burden off of her wings, giving her a little force forwards. It meant that she was travelling back the way she'd come but that didn't matter too much. She'd seen some flashes from the city in the distance, some large shape that loomed overhead. But she'd steered around it on her way here, she could do the same on the journey back.

As she began soaring back she saw the shadow in the distance still, looming high above the city. Above the skies themselves. She'd seen the shape once before, the last time she'd visited the city in earnest. The day that she'd first felt that irritating itch, that surge of power that tried to rule over her.

A sudden shiver ran down her spine, a particular rarity given the large plumes of flame that usually burned there. At first she thought she was simply recalling that day too vividly and ruffled her feathers a little while casting an irritated glance towards the city that lay far in the distance. But the sensation didn't fade with the memory, it grew stronger. It seemed to almost target her as she drifted, searching for her. Her eyes caught the other lesser creatures of the air seeming to become stunned before they began speeding unnaturally towards the city. Something was controlling them. Something was trying to control her.

The enemy yet lived.

Her eyes sharpened in an instant as she banked once more. She would not steer around the city this time, she would visit it once again. She would remind the hated enemy why she was to be feared.

The flames that lapped along her feathers flared suddenly brighter, becoming almost white at their base and extending out further still from her body. She felt a fire within her rage as if in response. She felt the power of the enemy pulling at her inner fire and stoking it to a fury, but she needed no help in that. Her eyes were already filled with rage.

She could simply wait for the storm to carry her to the city, use its power to further the destruction that she would wreak. But that was too passive, the fire within her would not allow it. She raised her wings and with a might downward push began accelerating towards the city. With her size alone she was fast. With the abilities that had been granted to her she was faster still. And when she used some of her inner storm to alter the pull of gravity she became speed incarnate. She descended upon the city like the wrath of the heavens, a distant speck of light that was growing far too quickly for any to escape.

For the second time in two decades the cry of the Phoneix pierced the skies above Alleycity.

This happens directly after Ax's last post.

Seom closed the last gaps in their aluminum foil construct and Mike turned, looked towards the Vortex. It had changed. It started to turn faster, the surface of its ball-like structure rippling with unseen forces. Like little eruptions on the surface of the sun, it started to collapse, started to consume itself to continue to exist. It shrank, grew smaller and smaller, unable to get more Investiture to power it. And then it vanished, consumed itself, left nothing behind, but a large fin with legs, which lay shuddering on the floor.

@I think I am here.

@Ax's Boyfriend

@Ark's Boyfriend

@Silva

===============================

So, as we decided to move the Sewer-thread characters to this thread, to make it easier with the Phoenix, this means both me and Itiah will end up with four characters in the thread for the moment.

Lena, Alask, Max and Althea are still in the Sewers, so it will be hard to interact with them, without actively searching for them/ going there.

==============================

Zokora was about to reply to Damon, when she saw the light and looked up. The Phoenix. She had been in Oasis when it had come there the last time, when it had destroyed their city.

"Thinking about it. We will accept your offer."

She told Baker Pi and started to shout in her micro. Ready those strong enoug hto do anything against it. Get the rest of the civilians and their troops into the tunnels. Now.

@AonEne @ElendVenture

==============================

6 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Max looked up. Even under all these layers of ground, he could still hear it. The Phoenix. He’d summoned it again. He made sure to try and control the hate, reduce it to the PlasmaCore building. But he was too tired and he could only hope what he’d done before was enough.

“Do you hear it?” He asked. “It’s here.” He looked to Althea.

“Please. I did you wanted me to.”

Althea heard Max voice, when he spoke to her over their bond, when he told her again and again that everything would be good. She heard his voice and it was good to know that he was here, that she wasn't alone. Vaguely she could feel him hold her close, wrap his arms around her. He sounded tired, afraid. But she didn't want for him to be tired and afraid. She wanted for him to smile, to laugh. To tease her and to hold her in his arms, because he loved her. He was here. Everything was good, as long as he was here.

====================================

9 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Alask didn’t smile. He knew this was done only because it had to be. But the plan, it had worked, the Phoenix was here. He looked to Lena, and nodded.

Lena laughed when she heard it. Alask was looking so serious, that she made a grimace to have him smile and continued to eat her pancake.

"Now tell it, to destroy the building."

She told the man and waved at him with her pancake.

4 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Seom closed the last gaps in their aluminum foil construct and Mike turned, looked towards the Vortex. It had changed. It started to turn faster, the surface of its ball-like structure rippling with unseen forces. Like little eruptions on the surface of the sun, it started to collapse, started to consume itself to continue to exist. It shrank, grew smaller and smaller, unable to get more Investiture to power it. And then it vanished, consumed itself, left nothing behind, but a large fin with legs, which lay shuddering on the floor.

@I think I am here.

@Ax's Boyfriend

@Ark's Boyfriend

@Silva

Seom watched, shuddering at how weird it was. 

12 hours ago, Sorana said:

Please keep it logical Elend ^_^

Iirc your character was part of the forces sent to attack the Black crusade. So maybe something about how PlasmaCore communicates, controls their monsters, or their structure. That there are more intelligent ones and less intelligent creatures.

You can make up some things in that regard (as long as it's logical), but not when it comes to others guilds.

Good point.

17 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

Mac hasn’t made many posts at all over the last few weeks/months, so idk what you are getting the information from.

Also being the head of counterintelligence it’s really hard to spy on Mac, like nearly impossible.

My apologies for misquoting you. The post that I was referring to was back in Rivers of Blood, so 'a few days' is a major understatement. Anyhow, there is no way the character in question could have witnessed the conversation reasonably, so another little logic gap on my part.

Edited by BringerofShadows

Kumiko watched as the Vortex slowly shrunk, eventually fading into nothing. She tilted her head. Not sure if the higher-ups will like that, she thought. Vortex has been closed, she sent to KanMien. Apparently wrapping it in aluminium foil works? She shook her head, trying to figure out how that worked.

While she was thinking she suddenly heard a faint sound. Focussing, she switched to Bat form, trying to get a better read on the noise. Focusing, she heard it again. It sounded like a bird, though she had no clue what kind of bird produced that particular sound. She left the room, and went for the stairs, looking for a way up to the roof. She wanted to see what kind of bird was creating the sound.

If you want to use them as a benchmark then I seriously doubt there's anything I can do that they couldn't do as well. Laurelai replied. Comparing yourself to people who can create universes might not be the best benchmark to be setting when trying to gauge your usefulness.

Lita gave a small smile of her own. Yes, perhaps present company wasn't the best metric when it came to usefulness. Reluctantly, she lowered her burn of tin to something reasonable. A bit below a flare. That was reasonable, right? Something tickled the back of her mind - it felt like worry, though Lita barely felt it. She barely felt anything. 

Or rather, she felt too much. Even here in the Alleys, there was so much to notice. The air moving around them as they walked, the tiny currents of their breath, the beating of each heart, the ground underfoot. Lita could feel each fiber of her clothing against her skin, felt one stray hair brush against the back of her left ear, the tight cinch of each of her metalmind ear cuffs, not to mention her bracers. The top of the one on her right arm just barely grazed one of the tiny spikes in her forearm - the pain was a tiny drop in the ocean of sensation around her. 

Heat. A sudden, heavy pulse of it moved through her fingers. The Coin? Lita drew it out of her pocket, the disk unusually heavy for its small size as always. She flicked a glance at the Stranger, who had remained quiet for some time now, then back to the Coin. No one else seemed worried, but then, they were basically immortal. Hesitantly, she sent Laurelai another message.

Coin is getting hot again - maybe because we're getting close to PlasmaCore? Either way, something is happening, or will happen soon. Get ready.

Lita shoved the Coin back into her sock, grimacing at the heat against her tin-enhanced skin. She stored a bit of it, but not all. This was one of her only advantages here, and she intended to use it.

@Voidus

Edited by ZincAboutIt

On 7/9/2019 at 4:05 AM, I think I am here. said:

“However, it’ll also provide a valuable training opportunity. The AlleyStorm will enhance our powers like it enhances all others. It will be useful to train in those conditions, but that is, of course, if we don’t get blown to atoms first.” He turned back to the Vortex. “This aluminium theory better work, or the DA’s our only hope of shutting it down, and I’d rather not place the fate of the Alleyverse into the hands of the people who made the Phoenix.”

The aluminum worked. Once surrounded, the Vortex collapsed and disappeared leaving behind one last little gift. Freedom looked away from it. If the thing hadn't come from an Investiture-absorbing invention, she woulld have almost described it as pitiful laying there on the floor.

She bit her lip, thinking about the Alleystorm. There hadn't been one since Freedom had come to Alleycity and since Scadrial had no equivalent, she didn't know what to expect. All she'd heard about was the Investiture, but not much else.

The Investiture. Wait.

"The Vortex," she said slowly. "It caused the shield to flicker to power itself from the energy, right? So now the shield would be back up since the drain on its resources is gone? Are we...stuck here?"

---

Eiran glanced at the sky on a whim as he escorted an elderly lady to the tunnels. An unfamiliar flaming ball greeted his eyes. 

"Oh, sparks. I am so sorry, but we need to get you in as soon as possible," he told her, quickening their pace.

"Don't worry, dear. You do what you need," she smiled at him sweetly and picked up her pace. Soon he was hurrying to keep up with her. "What's the matter?" 

"I'm a total slontze. A danger sense Epic who doesn't see the storming Phoenix coming..." he said. "You'll be fine though. No reason to fear. The tunnels should be perfectly safe." Should be. If the Phoenix wanted to it could probably crash through into them.

But why hadn't he seen it? The Phoenix would surely cause him distress.

Unless it wouldn't. If the Phoenix was going to harm one spot alone or none at all it was very likely he wouldn't have seen it. Stuff exploded all the time. Didn't mean he saw every single unlucky person. A couple, sure, but that wasn't under his danger sense. That was just plain old cryptic visions.

Something burning.

The image disappeared as quickly as it appeared--too fast for him to pick out anything in it besides flames.

"Dear, no one's perfect. You seem like a nice guy, if a little foul-mouthed, but we all have our faults. I'm sure no one will blame you for missing something like this once," the lady said. She patted his arm gently. "You just be careful out there."

He nodded. They'd reached the underground. She could find where to go from there. He, on the other hand, had to get back to the evacuation, now more than ever.

The Vortex was gone, the Alleystorm approached.

All was going according to plan.

The bird was unexpected. But also a massive help. It would be far easier if the Alleycity just burned down, and the guilds with it.

Lord Ajax chuckled within his fortress. Demons howled, as did thousands of other horrors. He had no fear. He was far more powerful than any of them. He opened his door and stepped out onto a patio. Underneath was a massive metal room, a thousand feet in every direction. And within it, there was his horrors. Tens of thousands of creatures, dwarfing the thousand men and women in his command. They would destroy this lesser realm, remake it, and then move on to conquering others, the Cosmere, the evil god realm, the glass world. All would fall.

He raised his hands, and a thousand howls greeted him.

Yes, all was according to plan.

~~~

Bellatrix felt a fire ignite within her. She looked up, looked up from the tears, the snot, the blood. And she saw it. The Phoenix. It was beautiful. She stood, entranced by the flaming beauty. The part of her mind that was still hers screamed in protest. But she was a woman possessed, and a shadow surrounded her. Then a brilliant light. Fire burst up around her, swirling. In each hand she grasped a small orb. The fire expanded further, until it was the size of the Phoenix. Then it lifted off the ground, hovering like a second sun in the sky.

It shifted, slowly changing until you could recognize shape. Then wings. A head. Within a minute, it was a phoenix. But dark shadow began to surround it, physical clouds of darkness. And the fire began to change. First bright blue, then red, then a pale green, a purple, and finally, it darkened. A phoenix flapped in the sky. And it was oily black.

A loud screech emerged from it's mouth, and it's eyes opened. They were a fog of red and purple, the same color as the haze that had made the city murder each other. The pheonix swooped into the sky, and a mental connection went to the phoenix.

You knew my father. Were friends with him. He saved you. Will you accept me to?

And in that moment, Bellatrix faded entirely. This version... this embraced her father. Hellbent.

Dark Phoenix had risen.