Breath and Hemalurgy

Dragon Reborn

A regular Breath is very hard to spike out, because it's not part of the spiritweb, like the ability to perform Allomancy or Feruchemy is. It would also be fairly hard to Awaken a Spike, since it's metal, and would need the 9th Heightening and require a really good concept of Commands. Remember that metal and stone are the hardest things to Awaken, and count as Type IV Biochromatic entities. Such as Nightblood. Their creation does not appear to be simple or easy.

And at that point, they're so Invested with Breath that trying to use them as a Hemalurgic spike would probably not work at all, since Investiture resists Investiture.

Questioner

With spikes, would you be able to actually transfer Breaths, when they get to the other planets?

Brandon Sanderson

So spikes rip off pieces of the soul and so Breaths are not going to be part of the soul. You could maybe get a divine Breath but I haven't really decided on regular Breaths, they're kind of stuck there in the Physical Realm which is not a thing that spikes are dealing with. Divine Breath, potentially, because that's something that's actually melding onto your soul. But, you know, when you're using the Breaths they reach through to the Spiritual Realm so, maybe if you got it while the Breaths were kinetic, right, while you're using them, then you might be able to rip them off. I'm not a hundred percent certain on that one.

Bystander

There's still things to decide upon.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah there's still things, like I have to kind of see. My instinct says no right now. But, you know, how they interact is not something that I have-- Yeah.

Shadows of Self London UK signing (Oct. 19, 2015)

Edited by RShara

2 hours ago, RShara said:

Remember that metal and stone are the hardest things to Awaken, and count as Type IV Biochromatic entities. Such as Nightblood.

Slight nitpick, but I don't think metal and stone automatically become type IV's. That would imply that, prior to Nightblood, there was no awakening of stone or metal. 

2 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Slight nitpick, but I don't think metal and stone automatically become type IV's. That would imply that, prior to Nightblood, there was no awakening of stone or metal. 

Granted. They'd be Type 3's, but still suuuupppppper hard to do and the results would probably be unpredictable.

21 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

I'm curious if you could, given the proper metal and bindpoint, steal an ability granted by breath, without taking the Breath itself. Could you, for example, spike out perfect pitch?

I don't think it would work, because Heightening effects are so closely tied to how much Breath you have and the effects are a continuum rather than really discrete things. Since the enhancements are so tenuous, they're probably not a part of your Spiritweb in the same way that something like the Nightwatcher's boon/curse combo is and so it's not something that you could spike out of a person.

2 hours ago, Weltall said:

I don't think it would work, because Heightening effects are so closely tied to how much Breath you have and the effects are a continuum rather than really discrete things. Since the enhancements are so tenuous, they're probably not a part of your Spiritweb in the same way that something like the Nightwatcher's boon/curse combo is and so it's not something that you could spike out of a person.

I guess it would depend on how the Breath bestows the abilities. If it was going to be spikeable, it would need to work similarly to Hemalurgy where you put something in your physical body and it makes temporary changes to your Spiritweb.

• Chaos locked this topic