Technology and Shades

Oltux72

People have been asking how magic system would impact technology and social life. We have looked at that question from a positive angle. But there is obviously a world with a very negative angle: Threnody

No fast movement:

• How do you run a railroad at night?
  • Road traffic at night is also neigh impossible

No kindling fire:

• percussion caps are impossible - you could do these ancient guns that actually use a burning match
  • a flame thrower should, however, be tolerated - you have a pilot fire. You could build a gun based on that
  • internal combustion engines are right out - no cars, no diesel railway engines / steam engines and jets should be possible, though
  • if sparks count as kindling fire, even electricity is impossible
  • you need controls for stuff that could make sparks - 'my home is my castle' is not possible on Threnody

No shedding blood of another

• forget modern surgery
  • forget modern dentistry
  • even a syringe is playing with death
  • road traffic is impossible. You would not survive many accidents.

It looks to me like you'd have a stark contrast between country and city with a highly regimented society.

If Nazh is any indication (and he is because he is from Threnody), then there are ways to seal away shades and use them as weapons. If there is a way to store them into a hand held device, then there should certainly be ways to contain or control them in other ways. That is of the time line of the Wax and Wayne series.