Which Surges work in Shadesmar?

Oltux72

Question

Surges we have seen to work:

• Gravitation
  • Illumination

Maybe seen to work:

• Adhesion (depends on how Kaladin flew)

Seen to have failed:

• Soulcasting [Jasnah's deleted scene]

Anything on anything else? Do they also work on native elements of the CR? Can you use Gravitaion or Adhesion on a Spren? Were the Fused using Gravitation whom Kaladin fought bodyless Cognitive Shadows or ordinary Fused coming from Roshar?

11 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Scion of the Mists said:

Didn't Jasnah's Soulcasting work in the deleted scene?  Didn't she Soulcast the ropes binding the sailors?  

Also, why would Adhesion have to do with Kaladin's flight - isn't that Gravitation?  

A theory is that Adhesion has a role in Windrunner flight due to its pressure manipulation in addition to Gravitation. Windrunners and Skybreakers fly slightly differently.

Didn't Jasnah's Soulcasting work in the deleted scene?  Didn't she Soulcast the ropes binding the sailors?  

Well, yes, but it did not work in the CR. She could not have healed somebody in Shadesmar with it for example.

Also, why would Adhesion have to do with Kaladin's flight - isn't that Gravitation?  

Gravitation is indispensable. But manipulating wind, like he did to protect people from a storm, also helps in flight. So he may use it in addition.

18 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Well, yes, but it did not work in the CR. She could not have healed somebody in Shadesmar with it for example.

Gravitation is indispensable. But manipulating wind, like he did to protect people from a storm, also helps in flight. So he may use it in addition.

You sure you are thinking of the right surge? Soulcasting has nothing to due with healing. Jasnah soulcasted the rope to smoke via the cognitive realm in the deleted scene. Shallan and Jasnah have on multiple occasions used soulcasting to summon the appearance of objects around a bead (the wall Shallan uses to defend herself from the fused, and etc). So you can definitely soulcast in the cognitive realm. In fact you can do it two ways in the cognitive realm apparently, you can while in the cognitive realm soulcast a object in the physical realm, and you can by feeding a stone stormlight, cause its physical presence to show up in the cognitive realm (the hallway Jasnah summons before Gavilar's death, the statue, the "raft", and so on)

Edited by Pathfinder

3 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

You sure you are thinking of the right surge? Soulcasting has nothing to due with healing.

Poisoned Shallan?

3 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Jasnah soulcasted the rope to smoke via the cognitive realm in the deleted scene. Shallan and Jasnah have on multiple occasions used soulcasting to summon the appearance of objects around a bead (the wall Shallan uses to defend herself from the fused, and etc).

That is not Soulcasting. Kelsier and Khrisella do. So does Captain Ico.

42 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

But it did work:

Jasnah gripped the beads in her hand.

“You,” she command, “will change.”

“I am a rope,” one of them said. “I am—”

You will change.

The ropes shivered, transforming—one by one—into smoke in the physical realm.

7 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Poisoned Shallan?

That was not exactly healing either.  She turned Shallan's poisoned blood into regular blood which she can do because blood is one of the 10 essences but soulcasting is of extremely limited use in healing unless you have a much higher detailed knowledge of the human body then anyone has a right to expect.

36 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Poisoned Shallan?

That is not Soulcasting. Kelsier and Khrisella do. So does Captain Ico.

As Karger said, Jasnah was soulcasting the poison out of her blood by either soulcasting it into blood, or soulcasting all of her blood into fresh blood. Shallan still needed to have bed rest and recover.

Yes it is. Ico states the Shallan she can do it because of her ability, but the water is different. Will need to pull up the scene to show for clarity. Will edit when I get it. 

Oathbringer page 927

Cradling the sphere in one hand, Ico touches the glass bead he'd put in the fabrial "This is a soul" he said "Soul of water, but very cold"

"Ice?"

"Ice from a high, high place" he said "Ice that has never melted. Ice that has never known warmth." The light in Kaladin's sphere dimmed as Ico concentrated "You know how to manifest souls?"

"No" Kaladin said

"Some of your kind do" he said "it is rare. Rare among us too. The gardeners among the cultivationspren are best at it. I am unpracticed"

The ocean bead expanded and grew cloudy, looking like ice. Kaladin got a distrinct sense of coldness from it. 

Pulling up the next scene where Shallan and Ico speak about it before they leave the boat. Will need a bit. 

edit: wait might be the honor spren's ship. 

Oathbringer page 1008

"I would like some beads, Captain" Shallan said "To practice my art, if you please. I need to do something to pass the time on this trip"

"Manifesting random souls is dangerous, Lightweaver. I would not have you doing it wantonly upon my deck"

"I promise not to manifest anything" she said "I merely want to practice visualizing the souls inside the beads. it's part of my training."

"Very well"

"Thank you"

"It was a simple request" the captain said "Just be careful. I supposed you'd need Stormlight to manifest anyway, but still...be careful."

"What happens if we carry the beads away too far? They are tied to objects in the Physical Realm, right?"

"You can carry them anywhere in Shadesmar you wish." the captain said" THeir tie is through the Spiritual Realm, and distance doesn't matter. However, drop them - let them free - and they'll work their way back to the general location of their physical counterpart." he eyed her "You are very new to all of this. When did it begin again? Radiants, swearing Ideals?"

Edited by Pathfinder