Kingkiller 3

Is it possible? Could Rothfuss finally be releasing The Doors of Stone? Apparently, both BookDepository and Amazon released the exact same release date for it, August 20, 2020. Amazon appears to have since deleted the page for the book, but its still on book depository, and you can find it at this link: https://www.bookdepository.com/Doors-Stone-Patrick-Rothfuss/9780575081451?ref=grid-view&qid=1559765988773&sr=1-1.

So, do you think the conclusion to the series could finally be coming, or is it just going to get pushed off again? Personally, I think the fact that 2 separate websites released the same date is a pretty good indication that there's some truth there, but I've also learned not to get my hopes up when it comes to Rothfuss releasing stories. Let me know what you think.

1 minute ago, ILuvHats said:

Is it possible? Could Rothfuss finally be releasing The Doors of Stone? Apparently, both BookDepository and Amazon released the exact same release date for it, August 20, 2020. Amazon appears to have since deleted the page for the book, but its still on book depository, and you can find it at this link: https://www.bookdepository.com/Doors-Stone-Patrick-Rothfuss/9780575081451?ref=grid-view&qid=1559765988773&sr=1-1.

So, do you think the conclusion to the series could finally be coming, or is it just going to get pushed off again? Personally, I think the fact that 2 separate websites released the same date is a pretty good indication that there's some truth there, but I've also learned not to get my hopes up when it comes to Rothfuss releasing stories. Let me know what you think.

Please don't be a hoax please don't be a hoax please don't be a hoax.  Come on!  Focus your Alar people!

Don't mean to be a downer but Waterstones also has The Lost Metal for 15.10.20 which seems to just be a placeholder date for future novels, I guess there's no guarantee. I'd like to think it's getting released but that's just a lottery these days now.

I dunno, man. Over 20% of people gave it a one-star rating already. I wouldn't get too worked up over it.

Is this website hosted in Texas? Because a "Texas Book Depository" presenting wild rumors and speculation of upcoming books as fact would be hilarious.

43 minutes ago, Karger said:

Why do you have an upvote on nothing?

He’s obviously commenting on the inevitability of entropy and how this thread is irrelevant because in a few billion years it won’t matter whether kingkiller 3 ever came out cuz we’ll all be dead.

2 hours ago, Wander89 said:

Don't mean to be a downer but Waterstones also has The Lost Metal for 15.10.20 which seems to just be a placeholder date for future novels, I guess there's no guarantee. I'd like to think it's getting released but that's just a lottery these days now.

I dunno. If it were just one source I wouldn’t pay any attention. But supposedly (according to Daniel Greene), the same date was posted on Amazon. Though of course I couldn’t find it when I looked. It just seems like too much of a coincidence that they both had the same date. They had to of gotten it from somewhere. Of course, if Rothfuss actually gave them the date, he could always just move it back indefinitely (sigh).

Edited by ILuvHats

12 minutes ago, ILuvHats said:

He’s obviously commenting on the inevitability of entropy and how this thread is irrelevant because in a few billion years it won’t matter whether kingkiller 3 ever came out cuz we’ll all be dead.

Ah of course I should have guessed immediately.

Saw this today via Greene Daniels news update.  Pretty excited.  My dad has been trying to get me to read these since the Name of the Wind was originally published.  The second we get a concrete date, I'll actually read them!  If 2020 gives us Winds of Winter, KK3, and Rhythm of War, it'll be a hell of a year for fantasy!

6 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

I dunno. If it were just one source I wouldn’t pay any attention. But supposedly (according to Daniel Greene), the same date was posted on Amazon. Though of course I couldn’t find it when I looked. It just seems like too much of a coincidence that they both had the same date. They had to of gotten it from somewhere. Of course, if Rothfuss actually gave them the date, he could always just move it back indefinitely (sigh).

Placeholder dates are a common thing. I'm not saying I'm not as excited as everyone else but I don't take those to be exact.

23 hours ago, NottTheBrave said:

If 2020 gives us Winds of Winter, KK3, and Rhythm of War, it'll be a hell of a year for fantasy!

And hopefully the first book in Brian McClellan's new series/universe! I think he was working on a pitch for it, but if all goes well I bet it could come out next year too!

And Django Wexler might have another book in one of his new series come out in 2020 as well. Or the first one. Not sure how far along he is in writing it (due to his YA fantasy series), but hey! I'll take it. 

But yeah, if all three come out 2020 might be one of the biggest/most important years in fantasy for a LONG time!

Such things happened all the time with A Dance of Dragons. They were never right. The only way you can be sure is if the author says it's finished. And they would say it, Rothfuss is not really a quiet fellow online. Let's see what he has to say. 

From April of this year: https://www.tor.com/2019/04/04/patrick-rothfuss-kingkiller-chronicle-book-3-update-moving-forward/

“But I am moving forward,” he said. “More importantly, I’m finally getting my life sorted out so that I can go back and approach my writing and my craft with the joy that I used to feel back in the day, when I was just an idiot kid playing D&D or working on my unpublishable fantasy novel.”

Then there's this bit from the FAQ on his website about book 3:

when there is news about book 3, I will pass it along.  I don’t glean joy from withholding information; when there’s news, I’ll tell you.

And he has been silent on the matter. The book is not coming out in 2020. You'll be lucky if he starts writing it this year. 

10 hours ago, Wander89 said:

As anticipated as Doors of Stone is, I'm much happier that Rothfuss is finally starting to sort his life and be in a much more joyous position himself.

I'm glad you feel that way, because other similar examples (well, one similar example) predicts he will abandon the series forever and write other things! Mwahahaha! :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Orlion the Platypus said:

I'm glad you feel that way, because other similar examples (well, one similar example) predicts he will abandon the series forever and write other things! Mwahahaha! :ph34r:

Just need to see how well the TV/Movies do!

On 6/8/2019 at 1:06 AM, Wander89 said:

As anticipated as Doors of Stone is, I'm much happier that Rothfuss is finally starting to sort his life and be in a much more joyous position himself.

Butcher is also now working on the new Dresden book after going through a tough few years

2 hours ago, Draginon said:

Butcher is also now working on the new Dresden book after going through a tough few years

It is good to see. I imagine it's a stressful environment trying to appease to the fanbase and being scared of getting it wrong whilst also having to deal with the problems of life

BookDepository is owned by Amazon, so that easily explains why they share a common date. (Though even if that weren't the case it wouldn't necessarily mean anything.)

This is almost certainly just a placeholder date in my opinion. That's VERY common for unreleased books

I'm looking forward to the 3rd book, but I'm not holding my breath for this list date at all.

On 12/06/2019 at 2:27 PM, Jofwu said:

BookDepository is owned by Amazon, so that easily explains why they share a common date. (Though even if that weren't the case it wouldn't necessarily mean anything.)

This is almost certainly just a placeholder date in my opinion. That's VERY common for unreleased books

I'm looking forward to the 3rd book, but I'm not holding my breath for this list date at all.

Yeah, there's placeholder dates everywhere. I remember seeing Lost Metal on Waterstones and getting excited before realising its just a placeholder :huh: