Leatherbound Editions: A few questions

Hi all,

I  have a couple of questions regarding leatherbounds for cosmere books:

First off, for which Cosmere works do leatherbound editions exist for?  The list in my mind of leatherbounds so far is Elantris, Mistborn 1, 2, 3. Is that it? No Stormlight, or Warbreaker ones yet? Will Arcanum Unbounded have a leatherbound?

Secondly, since I'm interested in collecting them, and I know for a fact at least one if not more are out of stock with no prospect of another printing AFAIK, anyone got recommendations on where to hunt? I don't need signed editions which is what ebay is chock full of (The Hero of Ages is particularly popular on there).  Where else should I be looking? While i don't need signed, I'm intrigued by trying to find first editions, although I'm not obsessed with it (nor monied enough) to really care.

I don't buy many hardcopy books but these are ones I absolutely want to have forever.

Edit: I'm an idiot, from the Sanderson store:

" As of 3-5-19:  We are out of leather bound Mistborn: Final Empire books, but that doesn't mean we aren't selling again!  We are merely between printings.  (:  We have placed an order several months ago and should be getting and prepping the new batch soon!  Thanks for your patience!" 

Edited by NattyBo

23 minutes ago, NattyBo said:

First off, for which Cosmere works do leatherbound editions exist for?  The list in my mind of leatherbounds so far is Elantris, Mistborn 1, 2, 3. Is that it? No Stormlight, or Warbreaker ones yet? Will Arcanum Unbounded have a leatherbound?

Warbreaker is this year, wok is next, blah, blah, blah, they are 10th anniversary editions

1 hour ago, NottTheBrave said:

Oooh warbreaker!  I've heard a lot of good things about that book.  I'll have to scoop it up soon!

Warbreaker isn't my favorite Cosmere work (needs a sequel in my opinion), but every bit more we hear about the Warbreaker Leatherbound makes me salivate. I kind of need it in my life.

Also, @NattyBo I have had my Leatherbound TFE approaching on a year now, and it's one of the Jewels of my bookshelf. Exterior and interior work is just stunning, and I think it functions as the definitive edition of TFE.

Edited by Wyndlerunner

2 hours ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Warbreaker isn't my favorite Cosmere work (needs a sequel in my opinion), but every bit more we hear about the Warbreaker Leatherbound makes me salivate. I kind of need it in my life.

Also, @NattyBo I have had my Leatherbound TFE approaching on a year now, and it's one of the Jewels of my bookshelf. Exterior and interior work is just stunning, and I think it functions as the definitive edition of TFE.

I haven't read it yet!  I'm looking forward to it though, as I look forward to all Sanderson novels!  Do you actually read your leather bound books, or use them as display pieces?

11 hours ago, NottTheBrave said:

I haven't read it yet!  I'm looking forward to it though, as I look forward to all Sanderson novels!  Do you actually read your leather bound books, or use them as display pieces?

On my most recent re-read, I used my TFE Leatherbound to read. They can take a lot, so I wouldn't be worried about the 'sacred' factor

I would adore a Way of Kings leather-bound edition but as others have said, it would probably have to be in parts. I got the 10th Anniversary UK edition for Mistborn, not leather-bound, and there's only so many variations of books you can have! I gave my sister the paperbacks once I bought those but the shelf doesn't look the same without the consistency!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2019 at 6:00 PM, Etherealness said:

Brandon has said that the Arcanum Unbounded leather bound (probably out in 2026 gulp!) will have the Nalthis essay not the Warbreaker leather bound. :(

Oh man, really that long? And yet, I will sit here patiently waiting for it!!!

Just now, Etherealness said:

that was an educated guess based on the fact that so far all the leatherbounds have come out at the 10 year anniversary. and Arcanum Unbounded came out in 2016...

Yeah, that makes sense. So if he's saying the Nalthis essay probably won't appear until AU leather bound that makes me think he has no intentions for an Arcanum Unbounded 2 anytime in the next 10 years.

here is the wob:

Paleo (paraphrased)

Will the Warbreaker leatherbound contain the Nalthis essay?

Isaac (paraphrased)

No, but the Arcanum Unbounded leatherbound will contain it.

Stuttgart signing (May 17, 2019)

then again there's this one:

Questioner

How are the Warbreaker leatherbounds coming?

Brandon Sanderson

They're looking great! Oh man, the artists loved Warbreaker, for obvious reasons. We're getting the best art for any of the leatherbounds we've ever gotten, for Warbreaker. It is gorgeous!

Questioner

The Nalthis essay?

Brandon Sanderson

What's that? Oh, the Warbreaker leatherbound essay. Yeah, I should put that in, shouldn't I. We'll see.

Orem Signing (March 16, 2019)

On 6/23/2019 at 9:00 PM, Etherealness said:

Brandon has said that the Arcanum Unbounded leather bound (probably out in 2026 gulp!) will have the Nalthis essay not the Warbreaker leather bound. :(

Brandon has said a lot of different things about how the Nalthis essay will be released: the paperback Arcanum Unbounded, a newsletter, the leather-bound Warbreaker, and now the leather-bound Arcanum Unbounded.  So I wouldn't take that most recent WoB as gospel.  

Edited by Scion of the Mists