What happens if Yelig-nar possesses a herald?

bxcnch

1 minute ago, Pathfinder said:

The honorblades are, not the heralds, and the honorblades no longer work that way. 

I thought that an Honorblade wielding Herald has unlimited investiture provided they are a member of the Oathpact.

15 minutes ago, Karger said:

I thought that an Honorblade wielding Herald has unlimited investiture provided they are a member of the Oathpact.

Steeldancer

The Heralds, back before Honor died, were they directly powered by Honor?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. You’ll find out more about that, but the Shardblades [pretty sure he means Honorblades here] were pieces of Honor’s soul that he gave them and direct access to his essence.

Steeldancer

Like Vin and Elend?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, a little like that. That’s why Honorblades don’t work like Shardblades do, like Radiants do.

Steeldancer

The second part of the question is, what would happen if they were directly powered by Honor and they were holding Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO

WindRunner88 (paraphrased)

So far during The Stormlight Archive we've seen that the spren bond appears to have some distinct advantages (i.e. armor, more efficient Stormlight consumption, access to a variety of weapons) over what Tanavast via the Oathpact provided the Heralds. With the exception of Nale, and the fact that the Heralds had no need for Stormlight, can you please tell me one way in which a Herald had a distinct advantage over a level 5 Radiant of their corresponding  order?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Rebirth. *pause* The Heralds had access to raw levels of power that no Radiant could obtain.

On 6/18/2019 at 4:04 AM, Pathfinder said:

...I think odium would get worried about yelig nar getting too powerful and ascending. The reason I think this is

Hide contents

Brandon has said if you burn enough lerasium you would ascend to preservation

So I think by extension the same would apply to yelig nar eating odiums power. But that is just conjecture on my part based on tidbits of info here and there.

The last time I read Mistborn is quite a while ago, sorry if all of this is wrong, but wasn't it said that Ati-um is Ruin's physical body? Because if that is true, then I assume Leras-ium is Preservation's body, or at least a tiny part of it (which, I think, would mean that the mists Vin is breathing in before ascending are gaseous Lerasium?). Anyway, stormlight isn't Tanavast's body, thus using a lot of stormlight wouldn't make you Honor.  I think stormlight is just "free" Investiture, but changed by Honor, just as the afore-mentioned black smoke coming from Nightblood is Investiture corrupted by Nightblood. After all, Tin is also invested by Preservation, but Spook didn't become Presevation just because he had become a Tin Savant...

But, once again, you probably know better about Mistborn-mechanics than I do.

5 hours ago, bxcnch said:

The last time I read Mistborn is quite a while ago, sorry if all of this is wrong, but wasn't it said that Ati-um is Ruin's physical body? Because if that is true, then I assume Leras-ium is Preservation's body, or at least a tiny part of it (which, I think, would mean that the mists Vin is breathing in before ascending are gaseous Lerasium?). Anyway, stormlight isn't Tanavast's body, thus using a lot of stormlight wouldn't make you Honor.  I think stormlight is just "free" Investiture, but changed by Honor, just as the afore-mentioned black smoke coming from Nightblood is Investiture corrupted by Nightblood. After all, Tin is also invested by Preservation, but Spook didn't become Presevation just because he had become a Tin Savant...

But, once again, you probably know better about Mistborn-mechanics than I do.

No problemo. I have included one WoB regarding mists and stormlight below. Will pull up additional as I believe this has come up a few times

edit: there I think that is most of them. Hopefully that answers your question. 

Questioner

I'm going through Hero of Ages...again and I noticed...when Vin takes the power of Preservation into herself the descriptions remind me a lot of someone who has been Invested with Stormlight--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

--are those powers very similar--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

--in how they operate?

Brandon Sanderson

Ye-- Definitely some similarities. You will see a lot of mist in Stormlight if you are looking. So yeah.

Questioner

It like puffs out like mist.

Questioner

I know that there's three sorts of forms that magic presents itself in, the liquid and the solid and air. What would Breath be?

Brandon Sanderson

Breath is definitely like mist, it is in the form of the air.

Questioner

And is Stormlight the same?

Brandon Sanderson

Stormlight is the same.

mooglefrooglian

If metals shape the Investiture in Allomancy, causing a Steelpush or whatever, how is it that the mists can be used to perform the same feat? What is 'shaping' the inhaled mists into a Steelpush, if there's no metal "nozzle" to do so?

Brandon Sanderson

Consistently through the cosmere, once you have the power in hand and it has permeated you, will becomes your nozzle. This can be seen in Warbreaker, where the power has been distributed and inhabits the people. The nozzle idea is important for Magics that are drawing power externally, as it keeps the power from overwhelming and destroying you. (Which, basically, happened to Vin at the end of the Trilogy--she got consumed by the magic. She became something new, now, so it didn't KILL her. It destroyed what she was, transformed her into something else.)

So you see magics like on Sel and Scadrial where a specific nozzle is needed--as the power source is external, at least with Allomancy. Will and intent take a backseat, though still pop up on occasion. On Nalthis (and in a lesser way, Roshar) will and intent are more important, and what you are trying to do shapes the magic more directly.

A little direct manifestation in this is found in the subtle differences between Allomancy and Feruchemy. In Allomancy, when you enhance the senses, you just get a blast of power--and all senses are enhanced, whether you want them all or not. In Feruchemy, you can be more precise, and pick a specific sense to store. The power is internal here, and therefore more limited in how much you can draw--but you can also be more precise with its manipulation.

Note that Roshar Surgebinding is a special case, as the magical symbiosis there is stronger than it is on other worlds, as much of the magic involves bits of power who have become sapient.

uchoo786

How much crossover is there in use? Like if one "breathes" in the mists they can use it to power their allomancy. Could an Allomancer utilize stormlight to power his allomancy as well?

Brandon Sanderson

Most of the magics can be hacked together in one way or another, but some are easier to interchange than others.

Argent

Since both the mists and Stormlight are very similar in many ways, are there gaseous, liquid, and solid states of Stormlight?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a RAFO, but you know that there is a gas and a liquid.

Argent

The gas is just the stuff in the storms, right?

Questioner

Isn’t there the lake?

Brandon Sanderson

The lake is liquid. So you know there’s two of the three already. So just sayin'...

youshallnotpass

Can stormlight be used to fuel allomancy like the mist in the mistborn trilogy? Is stormlight therefore a manifestation of honour?

Brandon Sanderson

This is possible.

Douglas

What about a lerasium savant? Or would that require so much lerasium that the person attempting it would ascend to become a new Shardholder?

Brandon Sanderson

Basically, this is what Ascension is.

Edited by Pathfinder

• Chaos locked this topic