Unconventional way to make the book publishable.

Brandon said that there are two incompatible plot lines. And he finds no way to join them.

I would suggest a more radical remedy. Give up the attempt and make it two separate books. The first really would make a YA novella. The second one would e a solid war novella. The plots of TFE and the later two books in Mistborn are thematically very different, too.

10 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

I would suggest a more radical remedy. Give up the attempt and make it two separate books. The first really would make a YA novella. The second one would e a solid war novella. The plots of TFE and the later two books in Mistborn are thematically very different, too.

The plots realy take place at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

Given that the apocalyptic war elements have already been repurposed for Mistborn Era 1 (setting aside tonal differences) and even moreso for Stormlight Archive, I imagine the more obvious approach would be to take the more farcical half of the story which he hasn't recycled as much from, use that as the core of the story and then rebuild the second half of the plot around it.

As for spliting them up, Brandon's already so busy that there are projects he wants to do which he's having to put on constant back-burner status and may ultimately never write, so turning one book into two books would only make things more difficult. Sure, he could write them back to back but by dividing the plots in the way you're suggesting seems like it would take more effort (and certainly take more time for editing and publishing) than doing one book.