Two questions about minor characters

Shalebark

I just finished reading Warbreaker, which I believe means I am now caught up on the Cosmere.  I was left with two questions.

Is Susebron's high priest Treledees supposed to be related in some way to VaraTreledees (AKA Denth)? It feels odd to have two characters with such similar names and no explanation or commentary (unless I just missed it). Obviously, similar names do occur (I work with with three Tommys, two Thomases, and a Tom), but in a book with such a small cast the similarity seems like it ought to be significant.

Was Clod made from someone known to Vasher and/or Denth? Vasher seems to have a somewhat emotional response when Vivenna tells him that Denth's team employs a Lifeless, and the description of Clod's fighting ability (Vivenna thinks he is as fast as Denth) leads me to believe that he was, when alive, more than just a skilled soldier. The only character mentioned who it would make sense for him to be is Arsteel.

Sorry if this stuff's old hat; I was too impatient to thoroughly sift the forums for answers. I would be grateful for any additional information or speculation you all would care to offer.

4 minutes ago, Shalebark said:

Is Susebron's high priest Treledees supposed to be related in some way to VaraTreledees (AKA Denth)? It feels odd to have two characters with such similar names and no explanation or commentary (unless I just missed it). Obviously, similar names do occur (I work with with three Tommys, two Thomases, and a Tom), but in a book with such a small cast the similarity seems like it ought to be significant.

It's akin to naming someone Peter or John. VaraTreledees, as one of the Five Scholars, was reverred and remembered, so people name their children after them.

5 minutes ago, Shalebark said:

Was Clod made from someone known to Vasher and/or Denth? Vasher seems to have a somewhat emotional response when Vivenna tells him that Denth's team employs a Lifeless, and the description of Clod's fighting ability (Vivenna thinks he is as fast as Denth) leads me to believe that he was, when alive, more than just a skilled soldier. The only character mentioned who it would make sense for him to be is Arsteel.

Yep, he's Arsteel. You should read the Warbreaker Annotations. They're free on Brandon's site and are like a whole extra half a book worth of background info! Though the Warbreaker ones do stray into TMI a couple times... *side eyes Brandon*.

7 minutes ago, Shalebark said:

I think it was a name/title thing passed down over time.

7 minutes ago, Shalebark said:

Yeah, Clod is Arsteel, one of the other Five Scholars.

EDIT: Got ninja'd by RShara.

Edited by Invocation

4 minutes ago, RShara said:

It's akin to naming someone Peter or John. VaraTreledees, as one of the Five Scholars, was reverred and remembered, so people name their children after them.

Yep, he's Arsteel. You should read the Warbreaker Annotations. They're free on Brandon's site and are like a whole extra half a book worth of background info! Though the Warbreaker ones do stray into TMI a couple times... *side eyes Brandon*.

Thanks! 

Welcome to the Shard!

2 hours ago, Shalebark said:

You know, I read Warbreaker almost two years ago, and spend much more time than I should on these forums - and I never made the connection between the names.  Good catch!

2 hours ago, Shalebark said:

Sorry if this stuff's old hat; I was too impatient to thoroughly sift the forums for answers. I would be grateful for any additional information or speculation you all would care to offer.

The Coppermind (the Cosmere Wiki) is a great resource for these kinds of questions.  Much faster than searching the forums directly.  

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Clod

P.s. FYI, double posting is against the site rules.  You can "edit" your post to add additional thoughts.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 3:13 PM, RShara said:

Though the Warbreaker ones do stray into TMI a couple times... *side eyes Brandon*.

I say this all the time, but it bears repeating, Warbreaker is by far Brandon's most *ahem* "concupiscent" novel...

10 hours ago, Jubilus said:

I say this all the time, but it bears repeating, Warbreaker is by far Brandon's most *ahem* "concupiscent" novel...

It is his attempt at writing romance so that is to be expected. 

On 6/24/2019 at 1:20 PM, RShara said:

More some of the details about his wedding night.

Since you TMI side-eyed the annotations specifically, I assumed you meant the bit explaining Jewels' prior and ongoing relationship with Arsteel/Clod.

Spoiler

Nobody really asked how far she would take it with a Lifeless, but he told us anyway.

30 minutes ago, robardin said:

Since you TMI side-eyed the annotations specifically, I assumed you meant the bit explaining Jewels' prior and ongoing relationship with Arsteel/Clod.

Hide contents

Nobody really asked how far she would take it with a Lifeless, but he told us anyway.

That and the bits about his and his wife's...hmmm...status...on his wedding night.

38 minutes ago, RShara said:

That and the bits about his and his wife's...hmmm...status...on his wedding night.

1 hour ago, robardin said:

Winces sympathetically in remembrance.