Arith Matic

Stormlight piping

11 posts in this topic

I saw a couple posts on allomantic FTL and got thinking about other planets, like Roshar.  If stormlight powers fabrials, could Roshar develop a sort of piping system that carries stormlight, like wires do electricity?  The only thing that gets me hung up on this is if the stormlight could move through the piping efficiently.  I was thinking a sort of gemstone tube, that could carry stormlight to destinations.  If anyone has any ideas about this, feel free to comment.

29 minutes ago, Arith Matic said:

I saw a couple posts on allomantic FTL and got thinking about other planets, like Roshar.  If stormlight powers fabrials, could Roshar develop a sort of piping system that carries stormlight, like wires do electricity?  The only thing that gets me hung up on this is if the stormlight could move through the piping efficiently.  I was thinking a sort of gemstone tube, that could carry stormlight to destinations.  If anyone has any ideas about this, feel free to comment.

I do know that it is possible to soulcast gemstones/polestones, but that they cannot then be used for soulcasting (in other words, soulcast a emerald, then use that emerald to soulcast food. this does not work). However I am not sure if it was ever confirmed whether or not soulcasted gemstones could hold stormlight or not. If they could hold stormlight, then it would be a simple matter to shape copper wiring into what you want, and then soulcast them into gemstone versions which could theoretically accomplish what you posit. Have no clue if it could actually work, but maybe that is where things are going?

34 minutes ago, Arith Matic said:

I actually think something like this already exists.  Navani mentions in Oathbringer that they tried to infuse the massive Urithiru gemstone the way they would a fabrail.  This indicates that they have some way of moving stormlight from one gemstone to another.

Posted (edited)

I definitely think so. I suspect the strata in Urithiru actually did this, to some degree. (see Dalinar and Navani's conversation at the beginning of OB ch 96) (edit: lol, Karger ninja'd me)

In theory, it seems fairly straightforward to me. I think if you put two gems in contact (at the very least, if you fuse them) then Stormlight will distribute between them. So if you have a gem at one end that's being drawn from and a well of Stormlight on the other end then the Stormlight will flow to replace the Stormlight that was removed.

Seems like gems are too brittle to make good "pipes", but maybe there's an engineering solution to that.

5 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

I do know that it is possible to soulcast gemstones/polestones, but that they cannot then be used for soulcasting (in other words, soulcast a emerald, then use that emerald to soulcast food. this does not work)

I don't think that's the case... Do you know what WoB you're thinking of?

Edited by Jofwu

Posted (edited)

30 minutes ago, Jofwu said:

I definitely think so. I suspect the strata in Urithiru actually did this, to some degree. (see Dalinar and Navani's conversation at the beginning of OB ch 96) (edit: lol, Karger ninja'd me)

In theory, it seems fairly straightforward to me. I think if you put two gems in contact (at the very least, if you fuse them) then Stormlight will distribute between them. So if you have a gem at one end that's being drawn from and a well of Stormlight on the other end then the Stormlight will flow to replace the Stormlight that was removed.

Seems like gems are too brittle to make good "pipes", but maybe there's an engineering solution to that.

I don't think that's the case... Do you know what WoB you're thinking of?

I believe it was a WoB with Yata. Give me a few minutes to find it. 

edit: not having luck finding WoB today it seems. I will keep digging but if it helps, from what I recall it was to balance/prevent soulcasters from just soulcasting more gemstones instead of having to hunt chasmfiends. Why kill chasmfiends when soulcasters could just produce their own gemstones to use? The response was that if you soulcasted a polestone, it wouldn't work for soulcasting, but finding the wording is proving difficult. 

edit 2: so far found a reddit post where someone says soulcasters cannot make "true gemstones", another person mentioning that shallan says soulcasters cannot make actual gemstones (way of kings page 501), and a WoB that says synthetic gemstones for soulcasters are possible. Still trying to find the smoking gun that I am thinking of. 

Edited by Pathfinder

55 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

what I recall it was to balance/prevent soulcasters from just soulcasting more gemstones instead of having to hunt chasmfiends

Oh, totally. I was actually coming down on the other side of things. :lol: It was the first part of your statement that I was primarily skeptical of. I didn't think it was possible to Soulcast something into a gemstone at all. I'd actually be a little surprised if you can Soulcast a gemstone into something else? But I guess that's not unreasonable. I definitely wouldn't think that you could Soulcast something into a gemstone. Or if you can, I don't expect it would work like a "real" gemstone in terms of its ability to hold Stormlight, be used for Soulcasting, etc. (and the Shallan quote seems to support this)

1 hour ago, Arith Matic said:

If stormlight powers fabrials, could Roshar develop a sort of piping system that carries stormlight, like wires do electricity?  The only thing that gets me hung up on this is if the stormlight could move through the piping efficiently.  I was thinking a sort of gemstone tube, that could carry stormlight to destinations.  If anyone has any ideas about this, feel free to comment.

Aluminium pipes.

Posted (edited)

On 6/4/2019 at 9:43 AM, Karger said:

I actually think something like this already exists.  Navani mentions in Oathbringer that they tried to infuse the massive Urithiru gemstone the way they would a fabrail.  This indicates that they have some way of moving stormlight from one gemstone to another.

I thought they tried to infuse it like a dun sphere or something.  But I guess only Dalinar could do that now, right?

Edited by Watchcry

14 hours ago, Watchcry said:

I thought they tried to infuse it like a dun sphere or something.  But I guess only Dalinar could do that now, right?

They have a fabrial that can partially discharge a gem. It is mentioned in relation to a feast Elhokar was giving, which somebody wanted a dim sphere for. It is reasonable, but not confirmed, that they can do the opposite.

On 6/4/2019 at 9:07 AM, Arith Matic said:

No, no, no. You’re thinking about this wrong. We need to send Stormlight along journeys, not to destinations

The rest of my post is more serious, I promise.

Also, I think there are already methods to transfer Stormlight from one Gemstone to another, as @Karger said. I think putting these in aluminum pipes like @Oltux72 said would probably keep it super efficient.

In my mind, all we need is a way to cause a “pressure” to make Stormlight flow and aluminum pipes to direct it where we want it to go. The gem transferring method might work as a “pressure,” but there is probably a better way to get “pressure” to make the Stormlight flow.

Posted (edited)

Were there not ruby veins connecting the "heart" of urithiru to the rest of it?

I always assumed those were acting like pipes to transfer the storm light. In that case I guess it's less like piping but more like filling one giant gemstone.

Aluminum pipes may work and it is a very neat idea!  Do we have a WoB about what would happen if investiture was stored in a sealed aluminum container?

Edited by Itchy Savant