Is Brandon Overhyped

You see that title up there? That was the title of a YouTube video I just watched. I spent 30 minutes wading through a comment section filled with dozens of people bashing poor Brandon. Please, wipe my eyes clean of their blasphemy with happy thoughts about him.

3 minutes ago, Invocation said:

He can be overhyped, but only for those people who are die-hard "This guy makes no mistakes" kind of fans.

Otherwise he's author we all needed with the speed we didn't deserve.

A savior from Rothfuss and Martin's slow typing.

King among modern authors.

Legend.

Well spoken, my friend.

1 hour ago, Invocation said:

He can be overhyped, but only for those people who are die-hard "This guy makes no mistakes" kind of fans.

Otherwise he's author we all needed with the speed we didn't deserve.

A savior from Rothfuss and Martin's slow typing.

King among modern authors.

Legend.

Children read Rick Riordan

Men read Orson Scott Card

Legends read Brandon Sanderson

I don't think that OVERHYPED is the word. I can get people's understanding that he produces a lot of work that might not be on par with those that produce less work but he has a fantastic work ethic with a mind full of imaginative ideas. He's still really at the early stages of his career, sure he has a massive fanbase who are totally committed but I think we can agree that he's still learning and may, arguably, be placed on a pedestal.

Watching that video does not take away the fact he has been, and will continue to be, my favourite author and the points made are refutable but it's a far way to say he is perfect and we can also agree that there are some points that needs worked on. It's all a part of the journey!

Edited by Wander89

Are you talking about Daniel Green's new video?  If so, I agree with him.  Brandon is fantastic.  It's way too early for the "he's the greatest fantasy writer of all time!" stuff, but he's damnation good.  So yes, a teensy bit overhyped, but also in a way, not hyped enough.

Brandon Sanderson is a wonderful writer, and I aspire to write as well as he does some day. He’s published about 20 books- some over 800 pages - in ten(ish) years. All very high quality. I can read and reread his books over and over and always find something new. The characters and universe are extremely well developed. The fandom is extensive -there’s fan fiction, fan art, RPs, a dedicated forum - and polite, a combination not often seen. Brandon also interacts extensively with his fans, running a blog, doing AMAs on reddit, holding question sessions, signings, and so on. We have struck gold with Brandon.

1 hour ago, NottTheBrave said:

Are you talking about Daniel Green's new video?  If so, I agree with him.  Brandon is fantastic.  It's way too early for the "he's the greatest fantasy writer of all time!" stuff, but he's damnation good.  So yes, a teensy bit overhyped, but also in a way, not hyped enough.

Yeah, that’s the video I’m talking about. I actually agree with Daniel Green in a lot of ways, too. It was certain comments that were bothering me. Even if it was said in a polite way, every time someone said Brandon was a mediocre writer, I wanted to scream how wrong they were (even though it’s just opinions of course).

I tend to agree with Daniel Greene's opinions on most things, but I don't go to him for Brandon content (That's what Shardcast is for, I go to him for WoT stuff.

Is Brandon overhyped? Maybe, for some people who overhype him for themselves- but that's not on Brandon. Brandon happens to be I think, the best Fantasy author working today in sheer terms of productivity and creativity.

Brandon is great. I'm obsessed with the Cosmere. I pretty much live here and on discord. 

That said, the way that we fans talk about him? To a casual fan or someone unfamiliar with his work yes he's absolutely overhyped. 

There's no faster way to turn someone off to an entertainer, regardless of the medium than to set their expectations too high. 

Half of what makes the Cosmere so great is the story behind the story for a lot of us, and unless someone gets hooked they aren't ever going to dig into that. 

So really, Brandon is absolutely overhyped. And it's completely our fault. 

4 minutes ago, Calderis said:

There's no faster way to turn someone off to an entertainer, regardless of the medium than to set their expectations too high. 

"Give me an audience who have come to be entertained, but who expect nothing special. To them, I will be a god. That is the best truth I know.”

13 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

Yeah, that’s the video I’m talking about. I actually agree with Daniel Green in a lot of ways, too. It was certain comments that were bothering me. Even if it was said in a polite way, every time someone said Brandon was a mediocre writer, I wanted to scream how wrong they were (even though it’s just opinions of course).

Tastes really vary so spectacularly.  Off the recommendations of so many, I went to buy the first Mortal Instruments book the other day.  Before buying it, I sat in a comfy chair and read the first thirty pages.  I was in pure agony, and couldn't stand it. Yet, people swear by Cassandra Clare.  

People will always differ when it comes to basically anything, and I find it funny that anyone feels they have the right to definitevly state that "this author is mediocre" as an objective truth.  For all I know, Cassandra Clare's other novels are fantastic.  Maybe the book I started gets better after a slump.  Maybe it doesn't, but other books in the series do.  Maybe she hasn't written anything I'd like currently, but ten years from now she'll write my all time favorite piece of fiction.  It's silly to pretend like I know everything.

1 hour ago, NottTheBrave said:

Tastes really vary so spectacularly.  Off the recommendations of so many, I went to buy the first Mortal Instruments book the other day.  Before buying it, I sat in a comfy chair and read the first thirty pages.  I was in pure agony, and couldn't stand it. Yet, people swear by Cassandra Clare.  

People will always differ when it comes to basically anything, and I find it funny that anyone feels they have the right to definitevly state that "this author is mediocre" as an objective truth.  For all I know, Cassandra Clare's other novels are fantastic.  Maybe the book I started gets better after a slump.  Maybe it doesn't, but other books in the series do.  Maybe she hasn't written anything I'd like currently, but ten years from now she'll write my all time favorite piece of fiction.  It's silly to pretend like I know everything.

The prequel series is a bit better but I never thought her books were amazing.  That being said her first three books are not half bad I actually realy like the villain(who you have not met yet).

Sorry for derailing but 1) where do I find that color-changing .gif and 2) how do I overlay it on an image can someone please help me

Edit: Also, when I first read the thread title, I thought it meant "hyped" like "excited" and I'm like, well, yeah, I suppose he must be pretty hyped about writing to crank out two books a year

Edited by Reckless Reader

1 hour ago, NattyBo said:

I finally got 2 friends to start reading WoK literally this week, so I hope he isn't overhyped by me. I've been reading the gospel of Sanderson to these friends for like a year now

Aw, lucky. None of my close friends even like reading, so trying to convince them to read any type of fantasy is bound to go nowhere. I have met a few other people who are interested in reading fantasy, but none of them are huge fans of Brandon. One of them even started Mistborn, then stopped reading halfway through WoA (facepalm).

4 minutes ago, ILuvHats said:

Aw, lucky. None of my close friends even like reading, so trying to convince them to read any type of fantasy is bound to go nowhere. I have met a few other people who are interested in reading fantasy, but none of them are huge fans of Brandon. One of them even started Mistborn, then stopped reading halfway through WoA (facepalm).

It took like a year of bird-dogging them, haha. Though they're both interested in/like fantasy in general, just everyone is so busy nowadays. That said, a huge selling point for one of them was that Brandon updates his progress like, daily, basically. That happened to be the friend who got me into ASOIAF in the early 2000s. I don't think he has it in him to start another epic fantasy series that wont be finished...

12 hours ago, Reckless Reader said:

Sorry for derailing but 1) where do I find that color-changing .gif and 2) how do I overlay it on an image can someone please help me

Someone did mine for me so I am afraid I can't help you.  They started a thread announcing pride month.

Edited by Karger

• 1 month later...

I was actually really curios to hear the opinion of some sharders about the "controversy" that has risen up in the last few months about Brandon being overhyped. I love Brandon not only as an author, but as a person (from what I've seen on him online, in meetings etc.). At the same time I also had some problems with some of his writing choices. A couple of months ago I stumbled upon a very negative review of TWOK and, forgetting that the youtube comment section is not the 17th Shard and me being the semi-crazy person that I am, I ended up writing an essay about Brandon trying to explain the hype around him. But I know not everyone has the patience/dedication to read a 5 pages long comment :ph34r: so when Daniel posted that video I was glad because both his arguments and the format he's expressing them in are more digestible for the regular readers/non-sharders.