How long does it take to shatter a shard the way odium does compared to the slow strangulation used by ruin against preservation ?

Why is the shatter method perceived as being so quick if honor had time to create the stormfather and rant and rave about the knights radiant destroying the world with their surgebinding. 

It depends on how it was done, I suspect. So far, no two methods that Odium has used has been immediately or completely effective, and none of them have been the same.

D&D were crammed into the Cognitive.

Ambition was mortally wounded, and died away from him.

Honor took hundreds or thousands of years to die.

While we don't know much about Shard-to-Shard combat, we do know a bit about Rayse, specifically that he doesn't like to commit any more than he needs to. This is why he doesn't want to Invest in a world, with what he's done in the Rosharan System being an inevitable result of how long he's been trapped there and (probably) some realization that he needs to stick his Shardic neck out a bit more in terms of how much power he's committing in order to win. We also know that he's had to learn how to fight other Shards as he's gone along and the killing of Devotion and Dominion produced a side-effect he didn't intend and wouldn't want to repeat in the future. One imagines that there are faster ways to kill another Shard than what he's done before (where two out of three examples were protracted affairs and we don't know enough about D&D to say how long it took) similar to how Vin and Ati's clash was more or less an instantaneous matter*. He's also noted to be extremely selfish and according to the Stormfather he's been wounded before and the 'scars' a Shard bears don't heal, so he's going to play it as safe as possible. Ergo, Rayse will probably always opt for the method that puts him at the least risk of being hurt himself even if it takes longer. And for something as powerful as a Shard, even a relatively quick method of killing may take centuries.

* I know this had a lot to do with how perfectly opposed Preservation and Ruin were, but I doubt that this method of combat can only be done between such opposing Shards.

2 hours ago, Weltall said:

One imagines that there are faster ways to kill another Shard than what he's done before (where two out of three examples were protracted affairs and we don't know enough about D&D to say how long it took) similar to how Vin and Ati's clash was more or less an instantaneous matter*

I don't think time means much to an immortal Shard with no physical needs and no real way to change emotional states.

• Chaos locked this topic