I write these words in ascii. Only sharders can be trusted.

Halleck

Hiya folks! Here's my backstory flashback montage:

I've been reading branderson since 2016 when a friend recommend I read Mistborn or Steelheart. Months later, I somehow found a copy of final empire at a thrift store and learned how addictive Brandon can be. I devoured era 1 and 2 and then tried Elantris next which was kinda eh (seems to be the consensus.)

Took a break for a while but resumed w/ Warbreaker last year, then I finally figured out how to get audiobooks from the library and did AU. I had been putting of SA for years as I was intimidated by the length. WoK was kind of a slow burn for me, but I was hooked by the end and devoured WoR & Oathbringer. And finishing up with White Sand vol 1&2 I have finally caught up with all published Cosmere works!

(I also read snapshot but haven't yet tried any of Brandon's other non-cosmere stuff.)

Probably like most people before they joined I also used the Coppermind and arcanum a bit, and have recently been finding more podcasts and finally joining some online parts of the fandom. Started w/ SICS and then discovered the delightful PedanticCast which I have been devouring the archives of. Also joined a few Reddit subs.

I've decided it's time to get my (figurative) bridge 4 tattoo by joining the mothership. Also social media is terrible and I want to go back to forums. It's called the "indie web" now and we are going to make it cool again!

Wow I am really writing way too much. Before I go I guess I should actually say something about myself. I'm a software engineer and semi-retired game developer living in California. My other hobbies include camping, pedantry, and yolish lightweaving. Other favorite fantasty authors: N.K. Jemisin, Madeline Miller, Neil Gaiman, Ursula K. LeGuin, J.K. Rowling, Terry Pratchett.

If you've read this far, your fortitude is the stuff of legends. I hope to make your acquaintance!

Journey before destination.

Eliot

8 hours ago, Halleck said:

Hiya folks! Here's my backstory flashback montage:

I've been reading branderson since 2016 when a friend recommend I read Mistborn or Steelheart. Months later, I somehow found a copy of final empire at a thrift store and learned how addictive Brandon can be. I devoured era 1 and 2 and then tried Elantris next which was kinda eh (seems to be the consensus.)

Took a break for a while but resumed w/ Warbreaker last year, then I finally figured out how to get audiobooks from the library and did AU. I had been putting of SA for years as I was intimidated by the length. WoK was kind of a slow burn for me, but I was hooked by the end and devoured WoR & Oathbringer. And finishing up with White Sand vol 1&2 I have finally caught up with all published Cosmere works!

(I also read snapshot but haven't yet tried any of Brandon's other non-cosmere stuff.)

Probably like most people before they joined I also used the Coppermind and arcanum a bit, and have recently been finding more podcasts and finally joining some online parts of the fandom. Started w/ SICS and then discovered the delightful PedanticCast which I have been devouring the archives of. Also joined a few Reddit subs.

I've decided it's time to get my (figurative) bridge 4 tattoo by joining the mothership. Also social media is terrible and I want to go back to forums. It's called the "indie web" now and we are going to make it cool again!

Wow I am really writing way too much. Before I go I guess I should actually say something about myself. I'm a software engineer and semi-retired game developer living in California. My other hobbies include camping, pedantry, and yolish lightweaving. Other favorite fantasty authors: N.K. Jemisin, Madeline Miller, Neil Gaiman, Ursula K. LeGuin, J.K. Rowling, Terry Pratchett.

If you've read this far, your fortitude is the stuff of legends. I hope to make your acquaintance!

Journey before destination.

Eliot

Hi Eliot!!

Great to see you've read so many works, hopefully you can provide some insight/theories/discussion on the forums but feel free to ask any questions you may have and join in!

Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea got me into fantasy at the start. Wizard of Earthsea is such a short book compared to Brandon but the novels are exciting. Way of Kings was also a slow burn but once I got going, I couldn't stop!

Thanks for the, uh... inquisitive welcome, everyone! I will steel myself against future barbs. Sorry if I ruined the mood.

On 6/3/2019 at 6:08 AM, Wander89 said:

Great to see you've read so many works, hopefully you can provide some insight/theories/discussion on the forums but feel free to ask any questions you may have and join in!

Hehe, I think perhaps I miss too many little details to be of much use in theorizing but I do enjoy idle speculation sometimes. I do love cremposting however.

Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea got me into fantasy at the start. Wizard of Earthsea is such a short book compared to Brandon but the novels are exciting. Way of Kings was also a slow burn but once I got going, I couldn't stop!

Sweet! I haven't read it yet but it's on my list. So far I've read The Left Hand of Darkness, The Lathe of Heaven, and The Wild Girls anthology. I just found a copy of Rocannon's World at the thrift store which I am excited to read more of, as the Hainish Cycle seems legit so far.

If you like LeGuin I'd also recommend checking out The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin. It was the first time any series won the Hugo 3 years in a row and I think it was well deserved.