Long Game 56: Discord in Elendel

StrikerEZ

14 minutes ago, Ventyl said:

Lum, if Devotary flips village we lose, so why would you take that risk? It’d be better if you just didn’t vote.

. . . First of all, Devotary is probably going to be lynched anyway. Regardless of whether I voted on them.

Secondly, there's 6 remaining players and 2 elims down. By the 20% rule, there may have been 3 or 4 elims total by the start of the game. So there are, at most, 2 remaining. If we lynch a villager today, it'll bring it to 3-2 and I'm assuming the night kill will bring it down to 2-2, which will cause LyLo. A mislynch will put us in a very risky near-losing situation, but it won't make us lose.

3 hours ago, Fifth Scholar said:

The reason would be to get me killed, while conveniently not needing to provide scan results on a cycle when they’d be the most informative; additionally, if we assume a team of yourself and Ventyl, it allows you to submit the Eliminator kill unimpeded. The issue with Devotary’s claim is that it’s not possible unless both she and Ventyl are evil. 

1) We know there’s a village Smoker; therefore, because there needs to be a reason for that Smoker’s existence, one of Devotary and Ventyl are evil. 

2) Devotary lays out a scenario in which both she and Ventyl are village; in this scenario, a third Hazekiller, which has somehow escaped detection this entire game, and another player, use their actions to roleblock her and kill Araris. 

3) Since 1) and 2) contradict each other, Devotary is lying about what happened last night, and therefore is evil. 

Ignoring the wisdom of you issuing this claim, which I still think is something you would do, its logic falls apart; either we as a village received a Smoker which can only harm us, which makes zero sense, or Devotary is lying, which doesn’t make complete sense but makes a lot more sense than a backwards Smoker. Ventyl isn’t even necessarily evil with her, though I suspect that to be the case. 

Stick, Aman and Araris. Most of which are now dead. Araris did not roleclaim to me, though I’ve suspected he was a Smoker for quite a while based on PoE, and implications from statements he made in our PM when I started pressing him on his role. And it was possible, and something I continued to consider. I tend to play with a very paranoid playstyle, so while Drake/Rath soothing conspiracy was unlikely, it was still possible, particularly with the inference I made regarding Smoker!Araris. 

Regardless of what alignment you believe myself and Devotary to be, the conflict which both of us have essentially forced is sane from whichever alignment we’ve drawn up to be. This is the deciding lynch. If the Elims get a mislynch here, they needn’t worry about future lynches, which is why your support for Devotary should you be her teammate makes sense. If you two can lynch today and kill tonight, you win. In terms of my mentality shifting, it was partly because Devotary forced this to come to a head, but with my fears of a village Smoker confirmed, I’d probably be in the same place I am now even had she not pulled this gambit. Also, it’s hardly accurate to say I had you as completely village before today; I’d been souring on your alignment since the end of D4. 

lf I was evil, I already could have submitted the kill unimpeded. All I would have to do is claim that I scanned you as roleless, which fits with Smoker who self-protected(what you told me) and with roleless(which you supposedly told Aman). Or I could have told you I decided to scan someone else under the assumption that by saying I can scan you would be enough to ensure you self-protected with copper(which happens to be true).

I would not say Smokers can only harm us. At the very least, Smokers can be used to verify Soothers and demonstrate an action making them incapable of submitting the kill. Maybe they can block one of the Kandra's abilities. What reason is there for village roleless to exist except to make information gathering more difficult?

I am curious to hear what precedent makes you think this is something I would do as an elim. Why am I making an elaborate lie when there are so much simpler lies to tell? And if I'm going to be making up lies, why wouldn't I do something that directly gains me something, e.g. I action scanned Lum(true) and saw her target Araris(can't tell because I was roleblocked). 

@_Stick_, can you confirm that Fifth claimed roleless, and when this claim was? Lying about Smoking yourself and Araris is really not acceptable. It's fine to think that Araris might have been a Smoker who self-protected, but there's a vast difference between maintaining a baseline of suspicion and lying to further a lynch on them. I view your course of action as similar to the hypothetical where I as a village!Seeker am suspicious of Coop and want him lynched, so I claim to have seen him target Araris last night. despite having done no such thing and as a result not being sure if Coop is actually evil. The only reason to lie about such a thing is if you are 100% sure of your conclusion, but want to conceal the method by which you gained that information. As neither Drake nor Rath are evil, we can clearly see that wasn't the case.

16 minutes ago, Lumgol said:

. . . First of all, Devotary is probably going to be lynched anyway. Regardless of whether I voted on them.

Secondly, there's 6 remaining players and 2 elims down. By the 20% rule, there may have been 3 or 4 elims total by the start of the game. So there are, at most, 2 remaining. If we lynch a villager today, it'll bring it to 3-2 and I'm assuming the night kill will bring it down to 2-2, which will cause LyLo. A mislynch will put us in a very risky near-losing situation, but it won't make us lose.

With only six players, your vote has a great deal of influence in how the lynch turns out. A mislynch today with two elims left brings us down to at least a 75% lose chance if the Hazekiller still has two charges left(kill village!Lum tonight, force a tie tomorrow if necessary by roleblocking Ventyl). If you are evil, it's an 87.5% lose chance at best as we'd need three random lynches to hit elims. 

14 hours ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

Also, if you're not a Smoker, why did you claim that you and Araris were Smoked D1?

Wait, when did this happen? 

8 hours ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

@_Stick_, can you confirm that Fifth claimed roleless, and when this claim was?

Yeah, he did. On...June 13. So...C2? I think

• Alvron unlocked this topic

The turn ended 6 minutes ago! I accidentally posted the new thread early, so Alv closed this one and I didn't get to announce rollover :P 

Edited by Alvron
I'm just that fast

Night 6 - A Failed Mission

Sindale adjusted her tinfoil hat as she walked through the halls of the station. People had been giving her odd looks throughout the day, especially that Serdig guy. She should've been long gone by now, after she'd confirmed that the rumored mistborn had been killed. However, she was stuck in this stupid station.
She was perfectly capable of escaping, she was Koloss-blooded after all, but then the police would suspect that she was running away because she was a rebel. And then they would follow her, bringing unwanted suspicion onto the the Koloss community. 
Plus...a small part of her had wanted to stay because she wanted to figure out who these rebels were as well. It would nag her for years if she never knew. 
As hard as she tried though, most of her suspicions turned out to be incorrect.
She'd almost made it to her room to spend most of the night trying to figure out who the rebels were when she got jumped in the hallway by several of the other officers.
When they were done with her, her tinfoil hat lay on the ground, covered in blood. 

~

(2) Devotary: _Stick_, Lumgol
(2) Fifth: Ventyl, Devotary
Devotary was lynched! They were a Police Seeker!

PMs are open, but remember that each player may only make one new PM each turn. Group PMs are allowed. All PMs must have me and Mailliw in them.

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. Amanuensis, aka "Detective Wilco Renaud" Rebel Lurcher
  2. Ark1002, aka "Arr K. Thousantoo" Police Mistborn
  3. Lumgol, aka "TBD"
  4. Fifth Scholar, aka “Serdig Darillid”
  5. Araris Valerian, aka “Fade” Police Smoker
  6. Ventyl, aka “Lafay Etteax”
  7. Furamirionind, aka "Furamirionind" Police Hazekiller
  8. Rathmaskal Police Soother
  9. Devotary of Spontaneity, aka "Sindale" Police Seeker
  10. Sart Police Lurcher
  11. _Stick_, aka "Stick"
  12. Young Bard, aka " Nedar Latfin" Police Officer
  13. Aonar, aka "Ainm Lathair" Kandra
  14. Coop772 
  15. Straw, aka "Mertis tyl Loesp" Police Hazekiller
  16. Drake Marshall, aka “Thomas Blackburn” Police Tineye
  17. xinoehp512 Rebel Officer

This turn will last 24 hours and will end at 10 PM CDT on June 27th.

Edited by StrikerEZ

• Alvron locked this topic

Lafay realized that he was going to die or get seriously injured. He had been the main voice speaking out against Serdig, and knew he was going to pay for trying to help the city he loves, because it seemed so clear now that Serdig was one of traitors. If only he’d spotted it before. He knew that Elendel would fall in the coming night and day. So he decided to do the most reasonable thing, he walked up to Serdig and punched him in the face and asked him one simple question, “Why?”

EDIT

Well, I think the days lynch hard clears me as village!soother and confirms elim!Fifth. So at this point I think it’d be best to have a coinshot kill Fifth which would make a 1 for 1 trade tonight. Though that would make it a 2v1 assuming there’s two Elims left, and at that point I’d hope y’all vote for Lum, as I think she is more suspicious than Stick.

EDIT2

Woah who gave me that juicy reputation? :P

Edited by Ventyl

Oof

5 hours ago, Ventyl said:

Well, I think the days lynch hard clears me as village!soother and confirms elim!Fifth. So at this point I think it’d be best to have a coinshot kill Fifth which would make a 1 for 1 trade tonight. Though that would make it a 2v1 assuming there’s two Elims left, and at that point I’d hope y’all vote for Lum, as I think she is more suspicious than Stick.

Fifth’s particularly not looking good...Though I doubt we have a Coinshot. Would’ve probably seen more kills if we did.

edit: but how does it hard clear you? Soft clear, maybe, but you'd only be hard cleared if Fifth flips elim I think, which I think is not far from likely now. 

Edited by _Stick_

Stick. I don’t really care that it’s the Night turn. 

Devotary was village, which unfortunately means she was telling the truth and that I’m once again a complete fool. As that means she was hazekilled and Araris was killed, Ventyl is indeed hard-cleared, and as Coop is certainly the Tineye (though I suspect an Eliminator one), Stick is the Eliminator Hazekiller (though she will claim, probably, that I am). I don’t deserve to be trusted after today’s lynch, perhaps, but I’m simply flabbergasted that we were handed a backwards Smoker in the form of Araris, and this irregularity essentially ruined my role analysis.  

3 hours ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Stick. I don’t really care that it’s the Night turn. 

Stick is the Eliminator Hazekiller (though she will claim, probably, that I am). 

I will bring up the fact that you were the one that brought up the possibility of the Hazekiller being completely fabricated in the first place (and that was essentially your basis for the whole Devo lynch), so naturally I'm inclined to think that you're the hazekiller. 

That's it, folks! The turn, and the game, is over! I'll be posting the Aftermath shortly, once I get all the docs and things closed and I finish writing out some more thoughts about the game.

Aftermath

Lafay was scared out of his mind. He was new, having only started working as a police officer a week or so before the rebel attacks started. Then, to top it all off, it turns out there were rebels hiding among them. If that wasn't enough, the revelation sent everyone on the force into a frenzy, and they were willing to kill each other because they thought someone was a rebel. He'd tried his best to Soothe everyone, but he wasn't that strong of a Soother anyway. Plus, without access to the outside world, he had started running out of vials of brass and needed to conserve them.
Though, he thought he was onto something. With Sindale being killed, and Serdig being someone who had advocated for killing her several times, Lafay was certain that Serdig must be a rebel. 
As he was searching through Serdig's room, he heard footsteps coming down the hall. Quickly, he put everything in the room back to place, and ran out as quick as he could. On his way out, he bumped into Stick. 
"Oh, hey Stick," he said, "sorry for bumping into you!" He tried to walk around her, then felt a sharp pang in his side. 
It took him a second to notice that she was holding a gun in her hand, which was pressed against his side. He panicked, attempting to Soothe her, but he didn't have much brass reserves in him, so it burned out pretty quick. The last thing he saw was a barrel of a gun pointed at his head.

~

Stick walked through the halls, Coop trailing behind her. Once she'd killed Lafay, it had been pretty easy to disarm and subdue the rest of the police officers in the station. She reached the main door, and opened it up, letting in several rebels who had been watching the station and waiting for the signal of a gunshot. They quickly ran into the station, and she gave them orders to find Draff immediately. He'd disappeared at some point, and she didn't want him messing things up.
With the police force mostly dead or trapped in the station, the city fell very quickly to the rebels. Both sides had few casualties, since the police quickly realized they didn't stand a chance against the rebels and surrendered. 
They held a public execution in the center of the Field of Rebirth for all the city officials who had neglected all of the common people of the city and the rest of the Elendel Basin during their rise to power. Finally, all people would be free from their tyranny.

As the sun set over the city of Elendel, many began to wonder if this was the dawn of a new, glorious era. Or the beginning of the end.

May Discord reign.

~

Ventyl was killed! They were a Police Soother!

The Rebels have won!

I'll admit, technically the rebels do not outnumber the police. However, there is no way the village could've won at this point, not unless one of the elims goes inactive. So I figured we should probably just end the game here.

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. Amanuensis, aka "Detective Wilco Renaud" Rebel Lurcher
  2. Ark1002, aka "Arr K. Thousantoo" Police Mistborn
  3. Lumgol, aka "TBD" Police Thug
  4. Fifth Scholar, aka “Serdig Darillid” Police Officer
  5. Araris Valerian, aka “Fade” Police Smoker
  6. Ventyl, aka “Lafay Etteax” Police Soother
  7. Furamirionind, aka "Furamirionind" Police Hazekiller
  8. Rathmaskal Police Soother
  9. Devotary of Spontaneity, aka "Sindale" Police Seeker
  10. Sart Police Lurcher
  11. _Stick_, aka "Stick" Rebel Hazekiller
  12. Young Bard, aka " Nedar Latfin" Police Officer
  13. Aonar, aka "Ainm Lathair" Kandra
  14. Coop772 Rebel Tineye
  15. Straw, aka "Mertis tyl Loesp" Police Hazekiller
  16. Drake Marshall, aka “Thomas Blackburn” Police Tineye
  17. xinoehp512 Rebel Officer

Here's all the links:

~

Okay, now for my thoughts on things.

First, I'd like to thank everyone for being apart of this game, whether it was as a player, a spectator, or a moderator. I was honestly so nervous about running this game, considering it was my first, and you guys made this experience absolutely amazing for me. I wasn't sure how this game would go, and was honestly very worried people wouldn't like it, but I'm so glad that didn't happen. I'm actually almost getting a little teary eyed now that it's over. It's just been such an amazing experience, and I'm really sad that it's over now.

I'd like to thank @Mailliw73 for being an amazing co-GM. Without him, this game wouldn't have been as crazily balanced role-wise as it was (more on that later), and I would've actually gone crazy trying to deal with running everything on my own. He definitely was able to help keep me on track when I kept trying to change rules because I noticed problems that were only in my head. :P Also, huge thanks to @Alvron for being the IM and giving some great advice when Maill and I needed it!

Now, congratulations to @Amanuensis @_Stick_ @xinoehp512 @Snipexe and @Coop772 for winning. You guys played an amazing elim game, and if it weren't for @Aonar getting some lucky (or unlucky) shots off on a couple of you, you guys probably would've won this game ages ago. Plus, it was awesome seeing you guys plot things out in the elim doc. And the jokes in there were pretty great. :P 

Speaking of Aonar, I guess I should probably reveal the Kandra mechanics for those who don't go through the master rules:

The Kandra has a kill available to them each night. In addition, the next morning, they receive a spike with the ability of their victim, if the victim had an ability. They can use the ability of the spike they receive, at the cost of not being able to use their kill that night. When they kill a new victim, the new spike replaces the old one.

Plus, if they didn't have a spike in at the time they were scanned, they got scanned as vanilla since Kandra was technically a faction. :P

Also, I'm sorry @Ax's Boyfriend that you got lynched D1. I was definitely hoping you'd be able to get some use out of the MB role, considering I didn't add a Coinshot at all. Alas, the Gods of Luck and Chance really seemed to want you dead. :P 

Huge shout out to @Fifth Scholar @Devotary of Spontaneity @MrakeDarshall and @Furamirionind for all the amazing analysis (though most of Fura's was mostly in the spec doc). Even if you guys were often pretty wrong, your analysis was awesome and is the kind of stuff I aspire to be able to do someday! 

Thank you so much @Young Bard and @Coop772 for pinch hitting for @Walin and Snip! Even though neither of you got to do very much, it was greatly appreciated!

Also, gotta love the fact that my brother @Ventyl managed to break the Tineye role in his first game by making a group PM with literally everyone. XD

I wish I could give shout outs to everyone, but I'm kind of running out of time, so I'm just gonna thank everyone else for playing and making this game awesome! @Lumgol @Araris Valerian @Rathmaskal @Sart @Straw

I'll post more of my thoughts on stuff later, but I should probably just go ahead and post this now. 

Thanks, @StrikerEZ, for allowing me to help with such a fun game! As was mentioned in the spec/dead doc, this game was mostly classic mechanics, but still was very close and set some new standards. It was a memorable one for sure, in my opinion. Most of my thoughts are in the doc, but to share with those who don't like reading through 100+ pages(shoutout to Fura and Drake for making one of the longest and most interesting dead docs in a long time), I'll share some of those thoughts again. 

First, a huge congratulations to the rebels! Stick and Aman did fantastic at distancing and pocketing their own various villagers. Aman proved once again that he has a tongue of gold and deserves his reputation. Those who know me know that I always root for the elims, so I was very happy with this ending. 

On the other hand, we had some very fun village maneuvers too. I want to award @Aonar the Village MVP award for singlehandedly (well, with Straw's help for Aman, shoutout to Straw for the first roleblock of the game) taking out two of the elims. :P Drake/Mrake showed again with his fantastic analysis why he's a formidable threat to the elims. Fifth, a man after my own heart, had gambits galore this game that helped gather lots of great information. Ventyl, it was great to see a new player jump right in and dig into the game; we have a steep learning curve here, but you did fantastic piecing things together and by the end were so close to solving it! Everyone else also had great discussion and it was so much fun to keep up with the thread and PMs. 

When it comes to distribution, those of you who have heard me talk recently have heard my soapbox about this, but this game gave me a bit of a chance to use my opinion. We intentionally messed with the distribution to diminish the usefulness of role distribution analysis as the sole basis for suspicions. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about the distribution. And, be grateful this was Striker's game and not mine. I had even crazier ideas than what we ended up going with. 

The decision to end at this point came because, mechanically, the elims had won at this point. Between us and Alv, we decided that mechanically there's no way for the village to win, so it should end here. It's ultimately unrealistic to factor in activity levels to the decision of if a game ends when it's technically met its win condition. 

Again, thanks to all who played and made this game such a fun one to watch! :) 

And so it is decreed that a single random coinflip decides the game instead of a best 2 out of 3, so as to not drag the game on for up to six more days. At least, I really hope we would have won with five against Stick, or six against Stick if she wanted to leave open the possibility of an evil Ventyl. 

I do have to apologise to Aonar for letting Aman think you were the Coinshot. Also to Rath for forgetting what Sart said about there being elims on both sides of the D2 lynch, which could not have been the case if Aman was telling the truth about being an alignment detecting Kandra.

@Fifth Scholar, what was your final gambit? Would you have voted for Stick if you'd known that any mislynch would be instantly fatal? That wouldn't have helped though since Ventyl Soothed your vote.

1 minute ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

And so it is decreed that a single random coinflip decides the game instead of a best 2 out of 3, so as to not drag the game on for up to six more days. At least, I really hope we would have won with five against Stick, or six against Stick if she wanted to leave open the possibility of an evil Ventyl. 

Sorry, what coin flip are you referring to? I'm also confused how there'd be 5 against Stick.

1 minute ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

I'm not sure if it's just the way you wrote this, but I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. xD

1 minute ago, Araris Valerian said:

I mentioned this in the dead doc already, but this is one of the most fun LGs I've played recently. Many thanks to Striker and Mailliw for running the game!

You're welcome! It was awesome getting to run it for you guys, so I'm really glad you enjoyed it!!

1 minute ago, Mailliw73 said:

Sorry, what coin flip are you referring to? I'm also confused how there'd be 5 against Stick.

The Straw/Snip tied lynch D5; if Snip/Coop had been randomly lynched instead of Straw, Stick would be the only elim left against six villagers. If Stick chose to hardclear Ventyl by killing someone(though probably by killing Ventyl to avoid this), there would be five villagers left against her. I don't know if you used an actual coin to decide who died though.