Long Game 56: Discord in Elendel

StrikerEZ

Night 2 - They Were Right

Draff was shocked by how many people were suspicious of Wilco’s survival. Almost immediately, someone claimed that Wilco must’ve been a Rebel who had set up a fake attack to get people to trust him. Maybe it was just because he’d seen how scared Wilco looked in the moment, but Draff thought he trusted Wilco.
Over the course of the day, the conversations in the lobby quickly shifted to focus on two people, Furamirionind and Sindale. Draff found a lot of the arguments slightly contrived sometimes, but there were also some pretty good arguments on both sides.
As Draff was getting ready to again walk through the halls during the night like he did last night, he started to hear yells from the lobby. Heart pounding, he began to run toward the lobby.   
Again, he was too late. When he arrived, he found Furamirionind lying on the ground, a pool of blood beginning to form around their head. This time, no one would be going to the infirmary.

~

(6) Furamirionind: _Stick_, Fifth Scholar, Lumgol, Araris Valerian, Straw, Rathmaskal
(5) Devotary of Spontaneity: Sart, MrakeDarshall, Ventyl, Amanuensis, Furamirionind
Furamirionind was lynched! They were a Police Hazekiller!

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. Amanuensis, aka "Detective Wilco Renaud"
  2. Ark1002, aka "Arr K. Thousantoo" Police Mistborn
  3. Lumgol, aka "TBD"
  4. Fifth Scholar, aka “Serdig Darillid”
  5. Araris Valerian, aka “Fade”
  6. Ventyl, aka “Lafay Etteax”
  7. Furamirionind, aka "Furamirionind" Police Hazekiller
  8. Rathmaskal
  9. Devotary of Spontaneity, aka "Sindale"
  10. Sart
  11. _Stick_, aka "Stick"
  12. Young Bard, aka " Nedar Latfin"
  13. Aonar, aka "Ainm Lathair"
  14. Snipexe
  15. Straw, aka "Mertis tyl Loesp"
  16. Drake Marshall, aka “Thomas Blackburn”
  17. xinoehp512

PMs are open, but remember that each player may only make one new PM each turn. Remember to include me and Mailliw in all PMs, and group PMs ARE allowed. 

Due to a change in my work schedule for tomorrow, this turn will be 26.5 hours and will end at 10 PM on June 15th.

Edited by StrikerEZ

Gah. 

Now to re-evaluate...basically everything. I just had my entire view of this game turned completely on its head. Fura, I will apologise for your death. If it helps, I was completely honest in my suspicion of you. The only positive in this situation is that we did just get a very valuable flip for analysing people. I do understand that the majority of suspicion for this mislynch will (rightly) fall on my head, but I will be looking into this more closely, particularly at voters on both sides who were unwilling to condemn Fura or Devotary in definitive terms. If Devotary is an Elim, I suspect any Elim voters on Fura to have not voiced full-throated suspicion of her, especially with this outcome in mind. 

25 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

(6) Furamirionind: _Stick_, Fifth Scholar, Lumgol, Araris Valerian, Straw, Rathmaskal

(5) Devotary of Spontaneity: Sart, MrakeDarshall, Ventyl, Amanuensis, Furamirionind
Furamirionind was lynched! They were a Police Hazekiller!

Is there a reason why Devotary's vote on Fura is missing? I'm just interested to know if there was vote manipulation.

1 minute ago, Sart said:

Is there a reason why Devotary's vote on Fura is missing? I'm just interested to know if there was vote manipulation.

Based on mechanics, it has to have been soothing, right?  (full disclosure, that was already mentioned to me in a PM)

3 minutes ago, Sart said:

1 minute ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Soothing, I’d assume. 

1 minute ago, Rathmaskal said:

Based on mechanics, it has to have been soothing, right?  (full disclosure, that was already mentioned to me in a PM)

Yes, Devotary's vote on Fura was Soothed.

And so we see the downsides of forming two parallel lynch trains early in the cycle; it's really hard to get off them. While lynches on Stick, Sart, or Drake may or may not have had merit, they didn't deserve to be crushed down into nothingness simply because there were only two viable lynches in the later part of the cycle.

19 minutes ago, Lumgol said:

Alright, at least this makes Ventyl and Drake look very good...

They were right about Fura, at least, which brings them up to 50%.

I just reread/re-skimmed the thread, and it’s incredibly painful seeing my tunnel on Fura. I still don’t think I was entirely unjustified—the reasons I had for suspecting her were legitimate, while the arguments against Devotary were more grounded in her playstyle, so I won’t apologise for my lynch vote. I will apologise for shutting Fura out once I started tunnelling. That was a mistake, as we could have probably had a profitable discussion in PMs had I not begun viewing her as a certain Elim. @Furamirionind, you again have my apologies. 

Upon rereading the thread with fresher eyes than I’ve had in days, I’m coming to a few tentative hypotheses: 

1) Aman and Drake look the most suspicious out of yesterday’s lynch, followed closely by Lumgol. (At least if I’m not getting counted.) My idea here is simply that it seems as though both of them “knew too much,” in a way—despite several attempts by Devotary to respond to Drake’s analysis, for instance, Drake seemingly largely ignored her and persisted with his vote. While he was correct on Fura and I wasn’t, his vote on Devotary still looks off, as it was grounded in her playstyle which was NAI; further, his portrayal of the lynch as “probably not V-V” stood out to me as a way of possibly driving a train of mislynches, particularly given my tentative trust of Devotary. Aman, meanwhile, simply has a very odd-looking vote; it’s on Devotary, but all of his analysis incriminates Fura and not her. Upon asking Aman to switch in PMs, he replied that he would if he couldn’t find anything incriminating on Devotary; despite never presenting evidence of Devotary’s guilt in-thread, his vote did not move. Meanwhile, Lum placed a quick vote on Fura which didn’t have too much in the way of analysis, and then mostly backed out of lynch discussion for the cycle despite being around for most of it. 

2) Fura guessed Aman/Stick/Lum as an Elim team, which is actually pretty close to my current thoughts; Aman/Drake/Lum may be closer to what I’m considering, or Devotary and one or two of the people on Fura’s wagon if that wasn’t a V-V lynch. Either way, while confirmed good is not confirmed right has been an eternal chorus sung for years, I think some of Fura’s ideas are worth considering, given the unique position she was in knowing she was a villager as the votes against her began rolling in; her commentary on Lum, for instance, is something I might agree with. 

3) A lot of my suspicion of Fura, looking back at what I was actually seeing in my analysis, was a reflection of my distrust of Aman. Presupposing an Aman/Fura team likely didn’t help my analysis last cycle, but I’m wondering if my underlying suspicion was correct even if Fura wasn’t actually evil. 

25 minutes ago, Fifth Scholar said:

I just reread/re-skimmed the thread, and it’s incredibly painful seeing my tunnel on Fura. I still don’t think I was entirely unjustified—the reasons I had for suspecting her were legitimate, while the arguments against Devotary were more grounded in her playstyle, so I won’t apologise for my lynch vote. I will apologise for shutting Fura out once I started tunnelling. That was a mistake, as we could have probably had a profitable discussion in PMs had I not begun viewing her as a certain Elim. @Furamirionind, you again have my apologies. 

Upon rereading the thread with fresher eyes than I’ve had in days, I’m coming to a few tentative hypotheses: 

1) Aman and Drake look the most suspicious out of yesterday’s lynch, followed closely by Lumgol. (At least if I’m not getting counted.) My idea here is simply that it seems as though both of them “knew too much,” in a way—despite several attempts by Devotary to respond to Drake’s analysis, for instance, Drake seemingly largely ignored her and persisted with his vote. While he was correct on Fura and I wasn’t, his vote on Devotary still looks off, as it was grounded in her playstyle which was NAI; further, his portrayal of the lynch as “probably not V-V” stood out to me as a way of possibly driving a train of mislynches, particularly given my tentative trust of Devotary. Aman, meanwhile, simply has a very odd-looking vote; it’s on Devotary, but all of his analysis incriminates Fura and not her. Upon asking Aman to switch in PMs, he replied that he would if he couldn’t find anything incriminating on Devotary; despite never presenting evidence of Devotary’s guilt in-thread, his vote did not move. Meanwhile, Lum placed a quick vote on Fura which didn’t have too much in the way of analysis, and then mostly backed out of lynch discussion for the cycle despite being around for most of it. 

2) Fura guessed Aman/Stick/Lum as an Elim team, which is actually pretty close to my current thoughts; Aman/Drake/Lum may be closer to what I’m considering, or Devotary and one or two of the people on Fura’s wagon if that wasn’t a V-V lynch. Either way, while confirmed good is not confirmed right has been an eternal chorus sung for years, I think some of Fura’s ideas are worth considering, given the unique position she was in knowing she was a villager as the votes against her began rolling in; her commentary on Lum, for instance, is something I might agree with. 

3) A lot of my suspicion of Fura, looking back at what I was actually seeing in my analysis, was a reflection of my distrust of Aman. Presupposing an Aman/Fura team likely didn’t help my analysis last cycle, but I’m wondering if my underlying suspicion was correct even if Fura wasn’t actually evil. 

"Hah hah. Very funny. ... Wait, you're serious? In what world do the culprits run free, while the defenders of the innocent are sent to the gallows? Wilco (Amanuensis) and Thomas  (MrakeDarshall) are the most likely candidates for good Cops. Thomas was nearly mugged on the first day of riots. If he was a Rebel, his co-conspirators would have protected him. Likewise, Wilco nearly died on the line of duty .While we can't rule out the possibility of a setup, the most likely scenario is that Wilco is on our side. You're much more likely to be a Rebel than them. I've also got my eye on Fade (Araris Valerian). He went from not buying the case against Furamirionind, to backing it wholeheartedly once Sindale (Devotary of Spontaneity) was the other candidate. Speaking of whom, I'd like to see her... taken care of. They're Koloss-blooded, so I'm sure they can handle the roughest parts of the riots. And if an accident were to befall them, well, I wouldn't be heartbroken."

Edited by Sart

55 minutes ago, Sart said:

"Hah hah. Very funny. ... Wait, you're serious? In what world do the culprits run free, while the defenders of the innocent are sent to the gallows? Wilco (Amanuensis) and Thomas  (MrakeDarshall) are the most likely candidates for good Cops.

It's very easy to defend the innocent when both candidates are blameless. Still, it does make sense that the elims would have tried to defend elim!Drake D1. Failed vote manipulation is possible, but I have no evidence that Fifth or Araris were Smoked D1, and even if they were it merely opens up the possibility of Drake being evil. There's been no public news of a Lurcher claiming to have protected Aman, but perhaps there will be.

2 minutes ago, Ventyl said:

At this point in time, I’m very lost as what I should do, and the only thing I can think of right now is to just vote on [Devotary]

While you are able to do that, your vote will not count until the day turn. One extra mislynch should be worth clearing up the mess this past day has caused.

Alright, to clarify my stance right now here are my reads on people and who I currently trust.

1. Aman, I read him village and I trust him

2.  Lumgol, Neutral leaning village, haven’t had any really real interactions with them, so I’m neutral with my trust.

3. Fifth, Same as Lumgol

4. Araris Valerian, Neutral leaning Elim, No real interactions with

5. Rathmaskal, Neutral, No real interactions with

6.  Devotary, Elim, I don’t trust her

7. Sart, Neutral, Slightly trust

8. Stick, Neutral, Slightly trust

9. Young Bard, Neutral, No interactions with

10. Aonar, Neutral leaning village, No interactions with

11. Sinpexe, Neutral, No interactions with

12. Straw, Neutral slight elim lean, No interactions with

13. Drake, Village, Slightly trust 

14. Xino, Neutral lean village, No interactions with

Note: I will give further analysis on why I read people this way, mainly just the ones I trust and think are Elim.

7 hours ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Emphasis mine.

I did not get around to finishing my analysis of Devotary, but I certainly will today. I'd stated in thread that once I got home, I was dead tired and nodding off to sleep at my keyboard. I said I'd do my best job to finish that analysis of Devotary before the turn was up, but there were several moments where I fell asleep for a few minutes, and I also was talking to Fura and a couple other players in PMs about the situation, in an attempt to see if I could save them.

While my analysis of Fura turned up with more elim leans than village, I found their response to it, and their eventual self-vote / Hazekiller reveal, to sound genuine. I also found that the speed at which Fura was accumulating votes to be suspicious, as Drake had pointed out in thread. Note that immediately after the Hazekiller reveal, I stated my plan was to even things out to see what happened, but at that point I would have supported Fura over Devotary in the end. That began to change when Fura explained their role and the reason for their unusual PM's, so as I discussed it more with them, other players, and ruminated internally, I also watched to see how other people reacted or to see if a Village Hazekiller would counterclaim (none did). Had I not fallen asleep in the middle of writing a PM, I probably would have posted once more to show the work I'd done already, and if I saw the opportunity, tried to encourage a player I trust on the Fura lynch to back off.

As for the "was a reflection of my distrust for Aman" thing... listen. If you're honestly so suspicious of me that it's coloring your perception of other villagers and getting you to lynch them, I'd rather we hash things out sooner rather than later, because really that just makes me feel bad because it's like I'm dragging people down for no reason. Not to mention it's a pretty major distraction. I think I honestly would have preferred dying N1 than getting relentlessly tunneled by a probably-Villager.

Below are my thoughts on some players. (disclaimer: I’ve done no real analysis for this post, so everything I’m saying is just off the top of my head)

Aman - I do find it odd that despite analyzing Fura and coming to an elim!fura conclusion, he chose to vote for Devotary at the end of the day. I see he’s already responded to that and, well, I guess I can kind of see what he’s saying. And the village!fura flip makes me lean village on Aman a bit, due to the reasons I explained in the last turn. But if I may refer to something Fura said to me in PMs “most people would be inclined to follow the huge wall of texts from people like Aman and Fifth incriminating Fura.” (That’s paraphrased, of course). It would be a smart move for elim!aman to do that so that people feel inclined to sheep, and then vote for Devotary in order to look innocent after the Fura flip. All in all, I’d say neutral leaning elim.

Lum - I know conformed good isn’t confirmed right, but Fura seemed more than a little suspicious of her in our PM. I’ll have to look more into her cuz I don’t really know what im currently reading her as.

Fifth - I know I said a village!Fura flip would make me wary of Fifth, but he’s sounding very village in our PMs plus his reaction to the lynch seems genuine. All things considered, I’ll give him a slight village read

Ventyl - village. Reason? 

look at that post (especially the edit). Just look at it. I don’t know how to explain it but there’s no way an elim wrote that. It’s possible he’s the Kandra though. But he sounded genuinely upset at the ark lynch in our PM.

Rath - neutral leaning village. Mostly due to tone in PMs, but he’s also provided good analysis. 

Devotary - tentatively elim I think. Main opposing lynch candidate to Fura, which automatically makes me wary of her. Plus that soothe is suspicious. I’ll speak more on this once I’ve reread yesterday’s thread. 

Drake - slight Elim. I had him down as a soft cleared villager after the D1 lynch, but I hadn’t considered the possibility of a thug!drake. 

So uh. This is the part where I point out that nobody but me is actually defending Furamirionind, and that you all should probably reconsider lynching Fura.

At that ^ point I had ever so slightly started to feel off about the Fura lynch because of what Drake had said. But shortly afterwards, Devotary accumulated a lot of votes and it seemed like a lot more people were trying to prevent a Fura lynch now so I was back to being suspicious of Fura, more so now because of how close the votes got. But anyway back to Drake: the post I’ve quoted above would be an ideal thing for an elim to say. Fura said in PMs that they had a village read on Drake, which may be Drake pocketing Fura. As a side note, I think it’s pretty obvious now that drake-Devotary  =/=  e-e.

Thoughts on the remaining players to come soon. I’m sorry if all that sounds rushed (because it is). Thought I’d get something on to the thread before the turn ends, in case I get NK’d. That never happens though so I think we’re good. XD

Also finals start tomorrow so my activity levels may drastically drop, and I wont be able to analyse a lot. Apologies in advance.

edit: I thought Fura’s vote was soothed off Devotary, but I’ve just realised it was the other way around. I’m guessing the soother is probably village. 

Edited by _Stick_

I'm gonna be leaving in about an hour or so to start getting ready for work, and I probably won't be able to get on until maybe the last 15-25 minutes before rollover, so I'm gonna go ahead and remind everyone that there's just a little less than 8 hours left before rollover! 

Here are the players who have not met the post requirement: @Amanuensis @Lumgol @Araris Valerian @Rathmaskal @Young Bard @Aonar @Snipexe @Straw @MrakeDarshall @xinoehp512

Devotary of Spontaneity (Part One)

1. First post is half RP, half game analysis. I agree with the assessment that a kill role was probably left out, due to the number of players. There's speculation on the kandra too, particularly that from what little we know about their win con, they probably have a kill ability. There's also talk about Mistborn/Thugs burning pewter to defend from a lynch, which received some flack earlier on, so I'll hold analysis of that until I get to the replies. Overall I liked the post then and still kinda do, but for the most part it's pretty NAI.
  2. Responds to Fifth about her first post. Says we can probably focus on the elims over the kandra since it wasn't a part of the village win con to kill them then. Clarifies that we should avoid last minute lynches so Mistborn have enough time to protect themselves with Pewter, which makes sense unless there's an elim!Mistborn (unlikely due to there only being only one kill N1). Expresses a concern about Thugs since generally it's best to resolve people who survive lynches by killing them in case they're evil. References my request for Village Thugs to only use their ability at night to prevent this issue, and encourages they try to use another means to get the lynch off them. I feel this post is more village-aligned than eliminator, but there's a possibility that Devotary is the kandra. Slight Village lean but mostly NAI.
  3. First half of the post addresses Rath's speculation on role madness. Says there are probably duplicate abilities, but that there's a good chance some roles were left out. Asks Striker if Hazekillers lose a charge if their target doesn't use Allomancy. As for the second half, she replies to Fifth's question about how the kandra can help, which she compares to two roles in previous games where maintaining a balance between teams was important. If a lot of elims died for example, the kandra would probably start going for villagers. Also clarifies that Thugs should not necessarily claim to get people off their lynch, but instead try to convince others through ordinary means to vote for someone else. Again I rank this post with a slight Village lean since I'm of a similar mindset.
  4. Says they haven't seen me advocate a no lynch in recent games, but that I do usually go for inactives if I don't have a better alternative. Responds to Stick about her issue with poke votes since they don't really give people anything to defend against, thus making it hard to get a significant read. Compares it to the Fifth/me debate that happened D1, which provides a lot of content to be read into. While I'm thankful for the vouch, this post feels kinda pockety imo. I believe this is when I began to worry about Devotary's alignment the first time. Without more info I think I'd rank this NAI.
  5. Responds to Rath's response to Fifth's response about poke votes. Admits they're voting strategy usually doesn't contribute much back and forth discussion like they advocate for, as well as gives Drake some credit for his Process of Elimination method, but argues that Ark couldn't really defend much from Mrake's vote and that's why it's less than ideal. While again I find myself agreeing, I think I'll rank this NAI as well, since it really could come from any alignment.
  6. For reference, the previous post was 8:20PM my time. This next one was at 2:18AM and 12 minutes before turn over. Comments on how close the votes are, and the danger of Mrake or a third party swinging the lynch elsewhere (specifically mentions Walin and themselves). Says they can't see the day ending with a no lynch unless Mrake returns and/or there's a vote manipulation. Says they aren't sure of voting for Mrake or Ark since the former hasn't been active in thread for about 15 hours, and the latter has only RP'd so they have no read of them. While I can see her perspective from a village alignment, the chances of this lynch being V - V is relatively high, which is where the idea of elim!Devotary just leaving things be comes from. So basically this could really come from any alignment. I rank this as NAI with the caveat that it's a convenient situation / post for an elim.
  7. Comments that it's unlikely Ark shared their role with anyone D1, so it's unlikely an elim had voted on them for that reason. Points out there was no vote manipulation, so unless any of the voters were smoked, no one made an effort to save Drake. Ends the post by asking me who I would have voted for if I'd been around, which I completely missed and didn't answer until much later. In summary, NAI.
  8. Responds to Drake's allegations of being an elim!bystander in a V-V lynch by pointing out there were only 6 votes of 17 cast, and that among those 6, most of them were temporary poke votes that were made permanent due to inactivity. Calls out Sart and myself for being wary of the non-voters present when we were non-voters as well. Overall very reasonable, but ultimately NAI.
  9. After Sart asks Fifth to answer their own question, responds that she did exactly what she would have in her 6th post. Asks him what he would have done beyond "vote for anyone" or leave his vote on her. The post reads a little bit defensive to me, but she isn't wrong. NAI.
  10. Replies to me after I asked where I criticized the votes, which was actually my bad, since I misunderstood her. Shows me the paragraph where I address it. NAI. (Note that I missed her post on the lynch at the end the first time, so the reason I awarded Fura some credit over her was unfounded from the start. My bad :()
  11. Responds to Drake's next set of allegations. Says there was a common sentiment of no good lynch target and lists people in particular categories (who wanted to lynch but wasn't sure who, who didn't want a lynch, and who didn't seem to care at all). Part of his suspicion has to do with the earlier clarification Devotary made on her Thug/Mistborn post. which she addresses pretty well while encouraging we give people enough time to defend themselves. Also says the fact they're doing a lot more game analysis than player analysis is normal for them, especially in the very beginning of the game when their opinions don't have much foundation. Furthmore, question's Sart logic about a village Lurcher revealing themselves to the thread. Again, I find Devotary is kinda defending me here again, but she's not wrong about the dangers of an elim!Hazekiller. Calls my Tineye worries an overreaction, which is honestly fair. I didn't get how that ability works clarified until recently. Furthermore questions Lum's suspicion of Fura due to being overly-enthusiastic about my survival. Asks Lum what reason they have to believe I didn't survive due to elim-protection. While I'm personally a bit suspicious of people who tried to push the WGG narrative after my survival, this post is a bit more player focused than before, which I like. I just wish Devotary did it before people said she was only doing game analysis, otherwise I'd lean more into Village territory. As it stands it's only slight.
  12. Replies to Ventyl's expression of suspicion for her, asking for reasoning why. In the midst of this says they understand Drake's vote, but not Sart's (which I agree with. I'm having trouble reading Sart due to his playstyle this game). In response to Mrake, says this time they'll be around for sure to change the lynch if necessary. I'm feeling a bit tired and hungry right now so I'm losing focus, so there's a paragraph in here I can't really parse. I like that she ends the post with self-reflection on not-voting on D1, but that's really NAI too. It's nice she's continuing to comment on players, but since they're all still alive, I can't read too much into it. Maybe slight Village lean.

I need to take a break to drink some coffee and eat, plus Wildbow posted a new chapter of Ward like 20 minutes ago and the anticipation is killing me. Hope it's okay I take a break here.

Edited by Amanuensis
Added colors