Good Omens (Amazon Prime; Michael Sheen & David Tennant)

Thread to chat about the late Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's wonderful book: Good Omens

Set in 2018, the series follows the demon Crowley (Tennant) and the angel Aziraphale (Sheen), who, being accustomed to life on Earth, seek to prevent the coming of the antichrist and with it the final battle between Heaven and Hell.

D4xRJ3aUcAEGwL4.jpg-large.jpeg

Edited by Wander89

15 hours ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Has anyone actually watched it yet? Amazon's rating system is weird, and I want to know what level of content to expect if I do watch it (Which is highly likely because I read and loved the book)

Don't know where you're from but it's so so British! David Tennant and Michael Sheen steal the show, obviously, but it's a good adaptation. I enjoyed it, it's a fun watch and it's good for an Amazon show, the setting looks pretty gorgeous.

1 hour ago, Wander89 said:

Don't know where you're from but it's so so British! David Tennant and Michael Sheen steal the show, obviously, but it's a good adaptation. I enjoyed it, it's a fun watch and it's good for an Amazon show, the setting looks pretty gorgeous.

I was actually talking more along the lines of TV-14? TV-MA? What should I expect on that front

I've just seen all 6 episodes and I like them all. It is a very good adaptation of the book.

I don't think I have anything bad to say about the show, (maybe I'm still not over how "meh" the last few episodes of Game of Thrones was, so I've set my expectations low for all upcoming Fantasy Series).

Now on to the good:

• Casting was fantastic!
  • The humour is very British (I don't know how to say it any other way) 
  • The changes made from the book are great, some of the internal dialogs that only works on page was dropped so they will not fall flat, and the last scene they added was so Good, it will make you watch it at least one more time just to see what, when, how, and to look for all the details.
  • Soundtrack, the show made good use of the soundtrack!

Lastly I want to say I want more, because the show is that Good, but I am afraid that if we have another series It might not be as good...

I loved it. David Tennant was perfect as Crowley, and they did a great job of keeping it true to the book while making it work for a visual medium. The part at the end with

Spoiler

Crowley and Aziraphale on trial

fit in well with the rest of the story. Even though it wasn't part of the book, it felt like it belonged.

Just finished watching this show. Sweet mercy was it a beautiful adaptation. I went in thinking that David Tennant was going to be the MVP, but Michael Sheen's Aziriphale really stole the show for me. It was almost perfectly true to the book- although I wish they had included Aziriphale's antique misprint Bibles.

Congratulations David Mckinnon! y'all really nailed it.

It was glorious and rusting near perfect.

The relationship between Aziraphale and Crowley is just so well-written and well-acted it makes me want to cry happy tears. Their chemistry is just delightful. It's not often that I finish a thing and immediately want to go on a re-watch, but this is tempting me.

4 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

It was glorious and rusting near perfect.

The relationship between Aziraphale and Crowley is just so well-written and well-acted it makes me want to cry happy tears. Their chemistry is just delightful. It's not often that I finish a thing and immediately want to go on a re-watch, but this is tempting me.

David Tennant and Michael Sheen are two fantastically ranged actors and they definitely bounced off each other.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished a few days ago.  there were some bits I didn't like, like there being way too much narration, but as everyone else said Tennant and Sheen were absolutely pitch perfect casting, and they absolutely carried the show.   John Hamm was good too, and the witchfinder sergeant, whose actor I don't know, was solid as well.  I really really loved the cold open to Episdoe 3, that took up about 1/2 the runtime of that episode.  I could just watch a show that was Crowley and Aziriphale throughout the ages, and it would be delightful

• 3 months later...

Book was Better but the show is enjoyable. 

The show often chose to communicate with narration what would have been better off shown through visuals. perhaps this is dew to budget, or maybe they were trying to capture the original book's style of humor. 

David Tenant in skinny jeans should be the official 5th horseman on the apocalypse. 

6 hours ago, Rask said:

The show often chose to communicate with narration what would have been better off shown through visuals. perhaps this is dew to budget, or maybe they were trying to capture the original book's style of humor. 

I got the feeling that this was in part because they were trying to convey some of the books humor, but a lot of it was the sort of word-play based humor that just doesn't translate when you lift it from the page.