Taln regains his lucidity/sanity for a moment because of Dalinar

Wintersu

2 hours ago, Inky said:

I mean. It might be more of a back half deal. Herald flashbacks/focus in books 6-10 and all that. I'm under the impression that Book 4 is going to be highly singer-focused 

There will be plenty of focus on Singers, but it’s safe to assume it won’t be just that. There are 3 main plot lines, or character groupings, and one of those is definitely singers. The others will continue with the main characters so far

The back half will be a heavier focus on Heralds, but I would be shocked if Taln and Ash just disappear for two whole books

2 hours ago, Wintersu said:

Brandon is still slaying it on r/AskReddit 

Taln, and Ash, spending more time around Dalinar should prove interesting. I’m guessing this will be an important part of the next book 

I am not very savy with Reddit and I have clicked the link but I cannot locate that post. Could you type it out, or explain how to find it? I would love to read it. Thank you!

7 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

I am not very savy with Reddit and I have clicked the link but I cannot locate that post. Could you type it out, or explain how to find it? I would love to read it. Thank you!

The question is:

Speaking of Taln, I have a little question: Is Taln's brief moment of lucid tied to Dalinar/Dalinar's powers?

3 minutes ago, Wintersu said:

The question is:

Speaking of Taln, I have a little question: Is Taln's brief moment of lucid tied to Dalinar/Dalinar's powers?

Thank you! This causes me to believe my theory regarding Dalinar helping Adolin restore Maya is even more likely, though I acknowledge the connection between what happened with Maya and Taln is tenuous. Great WoB!

1 minute ago, Pathfinder said:

Thank you! This causes me to believe my theory regarding Dalinar helping Adolin restore Maya is even more likely, though I acknowledge the connection between what happened with Maya and Taln is tenuous. Great WoB!

This had not occurred to me, and I love it.

40 minutes ago, Wintersu said:

This had not occurred to me, and I love it.

Thank you! To elaborate, my theory is that Adolin has strengthened his Connection with Maya much like Dalinar did with Oathbringer (they both felt the blade urging them to fight, in Dalinar's case the chasmfiend, in Adolin's case the thunderclast. They both experienced their respective shardblades recognizing them and expressing a greater degree of sapiance, Oathbringer consciously hating Dalinar less because of his oaths, and Maya moving to save Adolin). I think with Dalina's entire schtick being about bonds, and manipulating investiture, Dalinar can use the "scaffolding" of Adolin's strengthened connection, to push a massive amount of investiture into the faux bond, regrowing what was torn out of Maya, and restoring the bond in full resulting in Maya being healed. If what happened with Taln being restored to lucidity has to do with Dalinar's powers, then potentially that can lend credence to Dalinar using those powers to restore Maya. Though again I acknowledge that there are those that view what occurred with Taln as completely separate and different than what is occurring with Maya. So guess gotta wait and see!

17 minutes ago, Karger said:

I wonder what the political ramifications of a lucid Taln are.

As we’ve seen, Heralds are afforded a Saint-like status in Rosharan society.

Having a lucid Herald in Urithiru at Dalinar’s side would at the least get the immediate attention of the worlds monarchs, and quite possibly the populace at large. Along with that, would probably raise, instantly, the respect afforded the new Knights Radiance 

The Makabaki peoples, in particular, could go all in on with Dalinar. Who knows, it might even get the Iri to rethink their alliance 

Just now, Wintersu said:

Having a lucid Herald in Urithiru at Dalinar’s side would at the least get the immediate attention of the worlds monarchs, and quite possibly the populace at large. Along with that, would probably raise, instantly, the respect afforded the new Knights Radiance 

The Makabaki peoples, in particular, could go all in on with Dalinar. Who knows, it might even get the Iri to rethink their alliance 

This is assuming that anyone believed that Taln was a Herald.

Just now, Karger said:

This is assuming that anyone believed that Taln was a Herald.

Indeed, but those are the political ramifications. If no one believes, there would only be personal ramifications 

Dalinar, Jasnah, and Navani I am sure would love to pick his brain. I can see Dalinar in particular coming to depend on his advice. Taln seems like the type he would like to have

1 minute ago, Wintersu said:
5 minutes ago, Karger said:

Indeed, but those are the political ramifications. If no one believes, there would only be personal ramifications 

Dalinar, Jasnah, and Navani I am sure would love to pick his brain. I can see Dalinar in particular coming to depend on his advice. Taln seems like the type he would like to have

Yes but if no one believes then everyone is going to act like Dalinar is insane or potentially blasphemous.

4 minutes ago, Karger said:

Yes but if no one believes then everyone is going to act like Dalinar is insane or potentially blasphemous.

A bunch of people already do that, so I don’t see how much that changes the political situation 

3 minutes ago, Wintersu said:

A bunch of people already do that, so I don’t see how much that changes the political situation 

Someone having esoteric and strange political views is different from them believing that they have a deity on speed dial.

1 minute ago, Karger said:

Someone having esoteric and strange political views is different from them believing that they have a deity on speed dial.

You mean how Dalinar claimed he was seeing visions from the almighty that stated he was dead? All of these things already occurred. Not sure how it could create much issue now with Taln. To me it would only provide them with additional info. Also don't think Dalinar would use Taln to substantiate his rule. He is already in charge of Urithiru. Jasnah is already queen of Alethkar. They finally have the coalition. So I do not think Taln would even be needed as a function politically. He would be an invaluable information resource, and additional "radiant" to count among their numbers. 

1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

You mean how Dalinar claimed he was seeing visions from the almighty that stated he was dead? All of these things already occurred. Not sure how it could create much issue now with Taln. To me it would only provide them with additional info. Also don't think Dalinar would use Taln to substantiate his rule. He is already in charge of Urithiru. Jasnah is already queen of Alethkar. They finally have the coalition. So I do not think Taln would even be needed as a function politically. He would be an invaluable information resource, and additional "radiant" to count among their numbers. 

I still want a few good jokes.  How did you know the fused lines would break there?  I asked the Herald Taln to bless me with his wisdom.

Edited by Karger

2 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

Click on the link where the text says 1 Point, 9 hours ago. I also struggled finding the proper link to click.

1 hour ago, Rainier said:

Click on the link where the text says 1 Point, 9 hours ago. I also struggled finding the proper link to click.

Thank you!

I am surprised not more people are commenting on this thread. This could have all sorts of implications on what Dalinar's powers can do. 

Am I missing something groundbreaking about this? Dalinar created the perpendicularity, and when the realms merged Taln had his moment of clarity. How could that not be related to Dalinar and his powers? 

Is there an implication here that I'm not seeing? I don't see how this leads to proximity to Dalinar "fixing" Taln... 

2 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Am I missing something groundbreaking about this? Dalinar created the perpendicularity, and when the realms merged Taln had his moment of clarity. How could that not be related to Dalinar and his powers? 

Is there an implication here that I'm not seeing? I don't see how this leads to proximity to Dalinar "fixing" Taln... 

It is confirming the link between Taln's lucidity and Dalinar's presence/powers, which was only theorized before. It also confirms it was the powers/Dalinar himself that caused it, not a tangential effect of a whole list of things going on around that time as well, which means it can be replicated. If it can be replicated, then it could potentially be done in such a way to have the effect on Taln be permanent. 

If you don't want to discuss it, then good on you. Personally I thought it was a good WoB. 

2 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

It is confirming the link between Taln's lucidity and Dalinar's presence/powers, which was only theorized before. It also confirms it was the powers/Dalinar himself that caused it, not a tangential effect of a whole list of things going on around that time as well, which means it can be replicated. If it can be replicated, then it could potentially be done in such a way to have the effect on Taln be permanent. 

If you don't want to discuss it, then good on you. Personally I thought it was a good WoB. 

We don't actually know if Dalinar can replicate that perpendicularity.  Kaladin says that you get an outpouring of strength when you swear an ideal.  It may be impracticable for Dalinar to access that kind of power on a regular basis.

3 minutes ago, Karger said:

We don't actually know if Dalinar can replicate that perpendicularity.  Kaladin says that you get an outpouring of strength when you swear an ideal.  It may be impracticable for Dalinar to access that kind of power on a regular basis.

This was my point, yeah. 

I'm not, "not wanting to discuss it" @Pathfinder, I'm just questioning if this is nearly as groundbreaking as people are implying.

I don't see how it couldn't have been related to Dalinar in the first place. That doesn't mean it can be replicated feasibly. 

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

I don't see how it couldn't have been related to Dalinar in the first place.

Well to be fair it could have been his reaction to Odium's pr essence and the everstorm.  As a soldier he might have a reflex that pulls him togeather when he faces danger(like happened with Amaram).  It could have been Ash's beautiful face you are your best (self around the ones you love) and maybe she retains some of that lightweaverness that makes you a better person.  We now know this did not happen but it was worth speculating on.

34 minutes ago, Karger said:

Well to be fair it could have been his reaction to Odium's pr essence and the everstorm.  As a soldier he might have a reflex that pulls him togeather when he faces danger(like happened with Amaram).  It could have been Ash's beautiful face you are your best (self around the ones you love) and maybe she retains some of that lightweaverness that makes you a better person.  We now know this did not happen but it was worth speculating on.

I disagree based on timing, for the most part (and the lack of lightweaver powers as a whole for Ash since she doesn't have her Honorblade). 

To each their own I guess.