Dark One "Book One" Draft finished!

Use the Falchion

After a pretty long bit of radio silence this week has had some bittersweet news for Dark One.

The good news is that as of yesterday, May 28, the manuscript for the Dark One "Book One" graphic novel* is finished. 

The bad news, as seen in the tweet, is that we'll have to wait a year before it comes out. This news actually came out on Monday.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05/27/brandon-sanderson-the-dark-one-vault-comics-2020/#.XO1SRS0WA9U.reddit

The hopeful news: When this project was first announced, Dark One wasn't sold as just a graphic novel, but also a television show (the original story reworked into this), prequel books, and even an in-world podcast. It is possible that the delay for Dark One was due to these multiple moving parts, and that the graphic novel will usher in either the television show or the podcast. Either would be great. There is the chance that it's due to simple delays, but until proven otherwise, we can dream!

So in the end we might have to wait another year before we finally see the story Sanderson has wanted to share with us for years, but when we do we might be getting SO MUCH MORE that year (Dark One, potentially the Wheel of Time tv show, the Dark One tv show, and Rhythm of War). 

*I put an asterisk by this because while I still believe that Lanzing and Kelly's work will be a graphic novel, the page, length and the "book one" aspect of it cause me to doubt a little. 

On 5/30/2019 at 7:39 AM, ILuvHats said:

2020 could be the greatest year of my life. On top of all these great books and tv shows (possibly), I'll finally be able to legally drink. Whoohooo!

Have you been illegally drinking before then??

On 6/1/2019 at 9:21 PM, Wander89 said:

I'm excited to know more information about this. What mediums is it being brought out on? Graphic Novel and TV? At the same time, that'd be a weird choice to have them out between a short period of time.

That depends on whether the graphic novels and television series are adaptations of the same story or whether the former acts as a sidestory to the latter. The Dresden Files for example has graphic novels that told their own story alongside the 'main' canon of the books (and the alternate canon of its TV series). We know that the novels are planned as prequel/character development pieces, it's possible the graphic novels are something similar.

Even if they're not, having the same story told side by side in different mediums isn't unprecedented. Novel adaptations of movies happen all the time and usually come out simultaneously and lots of anime in Japan come out (at least initially) at the same time as a manga of the same story, though which is the 'original' and which is the adaptation can differ depending on the circumstances.

2 hours ago, Weltall said:

That depends on whether the graphic novels and television series are adaptations of the same story or whether the former acts as a sidestory to the latter. The Dresden Files for example has graphic novels that told their own story alongside the 'main' canon of the books (and the alternate canon of its TV series). We know that the novels are planned as prequel/character development pieces, it's possible the graphic novels are something similar.

Even if they're not, having the same story told side by side in different mediums isn't unprecedented. Novel adaptations of movies happen all the time and usually come out simultaneously and lots of anime in Japan come out (at least initially) at the same time as a manga of the same story, though which is the 'original' and which is the adaptation can differ depending on the circumstances.

I'm excited for more Sanderson, always. I get that comics and tv series being released at the same time happens. Hell, I watch The Walking Dead and a MASSIVE comic fan so it was pretty naive of me to think that this would be different. I just need to know more. It's great that he's moving on to screenwriting also.

• 4 months later...