Most/least Favorite Characters

• 4 weeks later...

Why? Why do you hate them so much? 

Love:

Rand-Character Arc, mythic powers, and incredible feats. And he did most of that while having a heart, and he gained it back when he lost it.

Perrin-Wolves and his Character Arc is my almost favorite if it weren't for...

Mat-There's too much. Knife fighter, future Great Captain, I love the Band, and his story arc is legendary. Bloody legendary. 

Rhuarac-His sense of duty and I just love the Aiel

Thom- He's a gleeman. Also, his role to the three is awesome.

Faile-Her major role in the Perrin arc and how she always does what needs to be done make her awesome.

Logain- His character in general appeals to me, as well as his brief but excellent story arc.

Lan-enough said.

Androl- His loyalty, bravery, and steadfastnesses I can appreciate. Also, his gateway power is amazing.

Moraine-Best of the Aes Sedai by far

Aiel, Sea Folk, Borderlanders: In order: Fighters and honor, Sailing and their bargaining as well as weather affinity, sense of duty and combat skill combined with the character.

All the Great Captains-Military genius I can appreciate, but I have to say that Pedron Niall was wasted.

Ogier- C'mon. They're peaceful, studious, tree-lovers until the Trollocs come. Then they face them, cutting waves down like a farmer harvests a field of wheat.

Talmanes- His steadfast attitude complements Mat, and he's much better than most nobles. He also still knows how to have fun, a perfect balance. 

Lewilin- Character Arc

Elyas and Hopper- Mentors for Perrin, WOLVES!

Hate:

Tenobia-Her attitude is nothing like other borderlanders- she strikes me as a worse version of Faile

Forsaken- They all are the worst, except for Moridin and maybe Demandred. Those two fell because of Lews Therin. Which leads me to...

Lews Therin- While he didn't have someone guiding him like he did to Rand, he was arrogant and spiteful, losing valuable allies in the process.

Mazrim Taim and Dreadlords- These guys are traitors and sadistic. Taim I hate in particular.

Seanchan- Enslaving people and calling it a mercy? Also, their culture seems to set on slavery. Still, I can acknowledge their war prowess

Shadowspawn- Just had to put em in

Fain- Enough said

All in all, many characters fall in a middle ground for me, but this was one of the best series I've ever read. I finished it yesterday, and it's great. Due to my nature, many characters I don't hate but I wouldn't exactly risk myself for them. Others I don't love but I respect their characters. Egwene I respect as a good Amyrilin but I just don't like Aes Sedai.  Cadasune has a similar view for me, but I respect her more.. Gawyn is okay pre-Andor Civil War, terrble during and after it, detestable as part of the Children, better with Egwene, and best after the bond. I think he really redeemed himself at the end. I share that sentiment for Galad, although he was better with the Whitecloaks. Nynave is okay. My favorites, absolute favorites, are Hopper and Mat. The one that I will kill myself killing is Taim. 

On 1/26/2021 at 1:12 AM, Pandora's shard said:

Am I the only one who absolutely loves Cadsuane? She is my fav character. I am sorry guys, but she is awesome!!!!! And badass!!! Moraine is okay, but boring.. Mat is cool and his superpower is so whimsy ("wink wink"), it's awesome.  

Also, I have a special place for Tuon. 

I absolutely hate Rand.. 

Am I crazy?? 

You are crazy to hate Rand my friend. I can see why though.

Edited by Flaming Coinshoot

• 1 month later...

So when I finished the series a couple months ago Mat was my favorite by far, but right now I am rereading TEotW, and Mat doesn't really get into his character until at least TDR if not TSR.

With that in mind, favorites:

Mat

Min

Rand (not as much at the beginning, but definitely as the series went on)

Perrin (more at the beginning, and less when he was chasing Shaido, but once again when he was Wolf-Dreaming around chasing Slayer)

Lan "I didn't come here to win, I came here to kill you" Mandragaron

Thom

Loial

Hates:

Elayne (boring)

Taim (Evil)

Whitecloaks (except Galad)

I have a lot more Favorites then I do hates. I also think I should include a category for characters that a lot of people hate, that I did not mind:

Tuon

Gawyn

Egwene

Nynaeve

Edit: Okay. This is embarrassing. I forgot Androl and Pavara (please excuse an audiobook listener’s spelling). They are easily the best romance in the series and two awesome characters. Sanderson did an amazing job with them and I wish we could have had more. I’ll see myself to the Black Tower equivalent of the Mistress of Novices now for my crimes

Edited by Mage

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I love Egwene and Mat very much. 

I know we aren't supposed to like Galina, but her chapters were so entertaining in the later books, especially compared to Perin. 

I absolutely despise Elayne, Min and Aviendha were ok in the earlier books, but once they really started being in love with Rand they just kinda lost all semblance of being somewhat decent. 

I mean, there are a lot of bad characters who are easy to dislike in this. I mean Daved Hanlon, or really any of the dark friends, most of the white cloaks, black ajah, forsaken, etc. Those are evil characters!

Of the "good guys" that I don't really care for foremost for me is Tuon. For that matter, I know everyone loves Mat but I just don't really admire him all that much. He did a lot of cool things but really despite his best efforts to avoid doing them. He's not a villain at all--I just don't think he's that honorable! But I still think he deserved to be with someone other than Tuon. Frankly I don't like the whole idea of being compelled or destined to be with someone. Didn't like it with Mat and Tuon, didn't love it with Rand and his three...

I do like many of the girls that most people don't love. I like Elayne, Aviendha, and Nynaeve especially. I wish I liked Min more. There's nothing wrong with her, I just prefer Rand and Aviendha together. And can plausibly accept Elayne as part of the group, because of the Aiel custom and the two girls are so close. Min just doesn't work in that system and I always feel like Rand just liked her because she was there, not from any real passion and that she liked him almost despite herself, because she had to. It feels so icky and false to me. 

I don't get the Moraine love. I feel like she could have been warmer and better at communicating, and thereby save all the main characters SO much angst. So I just want her to be written better, or differently. 

I tend to value characters who are devoted and true without too much complexity. Like the Loial and Birgitte were breaths of fresh air in the narrative. It was hard to read all the scheming between supposed friends! In that way I liked Perrin too. 

Rand. I like Rand in the beginning and then from the end of book 11 to almost the end of book 13. I hated how the book ended. It ruined his character arc for me.

I discovered I tend to love and admire the "old dad" characters, lol. When I get asked who is my favorite character Tam, Davram, and Rhuarc are at the first couple of names that come to mind. 

I feel like I might have COMPLETELY different choices if virtually the same story was told and Brandon wrote the whole thing rather than Robert Jordan. 

Top least favorite: Tuon

Top most favorite: That's harder. Maybe Nynaeve. Maybe Aviendha.