Most/least Favorite Characters

Spoilers Ahead:

Ok, I didn't want to resurrect a dead topic because I remembered and vaguely recall something about not doing that, So I wanted to create a new thread about everyone's least and most favorite characters.

I love:

Mat - Best character of WoT, if not ever. Not much more to say.

Rand - He's great, other than 2 problems. 1 He's the main character, and I personally don't let myself chose the main character as a favorite. 2 He's so moody in the late middle books oh I have to die so I can do whatever.

Androl and Pevara - I'm listing them together for obvious reasons. Their relationship is the only interesting one (for me) in the entire series. Circumstance might have something to do with it.

I hate:

Most of the girls. No offence to all the women out there intended AT ALL. Especially all the Aes Sedai. Brandon mentioned that there was some gender role manipulation, but I can now sympathize whatever gender discrimination now.

Aes Sedai - They all think that they're the only ones that know what are going on, and the White Tower is perfect, and everyone should bow to Aes Sedai whims because Aes Sedai knows best. 

Perrin - Just boring. I mentioned him because so many people love him.

What about everyone else?

Edited by Turin Turambar

I love

Rand- Just a beautiful transformative arc, and his interactions with LTT are some of the most interesting I've read

Egwene- I really relate to Egwene a lot, and I find her arc as Amyrlin to be one of the most fun to read even in the slump

Mat- Who doesn't love Mat? No seriously, who doesn't?

Nynaeve- As a sort of elder sibling figure/guardian, I really relate to her motives in joining the Ta'veren and Eggy on their journey. Also, her and Lan's relationship is so gosh dang healthy.

Aviendha- All the Aiel are super interesting, and Avi is just kind of a bean.

Perrin- Perrin is the kind of person I would look up to IRL, He's just so committed to his moral code, and that's something I share with him.

Moiraine- I have a thing for mentor characters. 

I hate

Cadsuane- To quote Brandon himself "Cadsuane, you're not my real mom. I want my real mom back, and her name is Moiraine"

The Shaido Aiel- couldn't they have just been done after Dumai's Wells

Liandrin- She's so obviously Black Ajah from the moment you meet her, and I really hate her for being the cause of Egwene's tenure as a Damane

Gawyn- Randland's number 1 Emo, who makes rash unplanned decisions

I love:

• Egwene - her chapters in the middle-later books (where she is becoming Amyrlin) are some of the only redeeming ones. Her arc throughout the entire series is fantastic, and I love that she never looses her curiosity.
  • Siuan - I enjoy her arc as well, from her scheming with Moiraine, to her being cast down, to her scheming with Egwene.
  • Perrin - I like Perrin because while he is generally competent he seems to have almost no idea. He is also excellent at bringing people together, even people who initially hate him (and one another) come to respect him. I especially like his interactions with Galad and, of course, the hammer forging.
  • Aviendha - Aviendha is fun to have around, and I always enjoy her chapters. Particularly her relationship with Elayne.
  • Mat - But only after the Aiel wastes. Before that he is a whiny idiot who never does anything to help. After that he is awesome and highly competent despite his best efforts.
  • Lan - Seriously, who doesn't like Lan? The most badass character. I do wish we had gotten a little more time for closure between him and Moiraine at the end.

I hate:

• Seanchan - There are some individual Seanchan that I do like (Egeanin and Tylee are the only ones that come to mind), but overall their culture is disgusting. I was sickened by their treatment of Egwene at Falme, and by the concept of Damane in general; dehumanizing people is somehow even worse than just enslaving them. Despite their increasing involvement across the series, this initial impression was never challenged. They suck and Rand should have wiped them all out.
  • Tuon - Tuon is easily the worst character that doesn't serve the Dark One (including Elaida and even Padan Fain), though she is obviously evil. Confronted with evidence that the Damane are no different than her, what does she do? Comfort herself by relaxing in the room where new Damane are broken. No idea what Mat sees in her, I hate reading chapters from her perspective (except for instances where she is slowly realizing how awesome Mat is).
  • Cadsuanne - For reasons I can't figure out, everyone (in book) acts as though she is intelligent and competent. Not sure why, because she screws almost everything up. Plus she is super annoying.
  • Nynaeve - I absolutely loathed Nynaeve in the first few books for her extraordinary arrogance and lack of empathy or patience. Also the braid tugging. She does get better across the series, and by the end I did like her, but along with Mat she is terrible in the first few books. She is down here, rather than in the upper list like Mat, because of how much longer it takes her to not suck.

Edited by Calyx

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Turin Turambar said:

I'm still going to vote Androl and Pevara as the best relationship. Nynaeve and Lan are OK, but not amazing.

Ooh, I forgot about Androl and Pevara! They're also great, and since they're both old-ish, they're also actually an old married couple.

Not to be overly contrary, but I really didn't like Mat, myself. He was a cool character, with very interesting powers, but as a person I found him slightly detestable. His conclusion in A Memory of Light redeemed him for me, but still. The way that he treated women rather bothered me, and his whole attitude toward Rand made me mad. They seemed to have been fairly close friends in the Two Rivers, but Mat kinda abandoneds him, once he begins to worry about Rand going mad. Even after the taint was cleansed, Mat tried to avoid him.

Aside from that semi-rant, some of my favorite characters include:

Egwene

Spoiler

Who totally shouldn't have died. I mean, she was possibly the best Amyrlin the Aes Sedai ever had. If anyone was to rebuild after the Last Battle, and heal the honestly messed-up system of Aes Sedai, it should be her. 

Perrin

Min

Talmanes

Androl (and, yes, Pevara)

Loial

1 hour ago, Rushu42 said:

Not to be overly contrary, but I really didn't like Mat, myself. He was a cool character, with very interesting powers, but as a person I found him slightly detestable. His conclusion in A Memory of Light redeemed him for me, but still. The way that he treated women rather bothered me, and his whole attitude toward Rand made me mad. They seemed to have been fairly close friends in the Two Rivers, but Mat kinda abandoneds him, once he begins to worry about Rand going mad. Even after the taint was cleansed, Mat tried to avoid him.

Aside from that semi-rant, some of my favorite characters include:

Egwene

Reveal hidden contents

Who totally shouldn't have died. I mean, she was possibly the best Amyrlin the Aes Sedai ever had. If anyone was to rebuild after the Last Battle, and heal the honestly messed-up system of Aes Sedai, it should be her. 

Perrin

Min

Talmanes

Androl (and, yes, Pevara)

Loial

Mat is the classic Rogue character type. outwardly uncaring, but a heart of gold on the inside. Some people don't like that, and that's fine. I never found the way he treated women to be overly egregious, I saw him more as a 'Ladies Man', than as a 'Player'

Favorites, in order:

1. Nynaeve
  2. Mat
  3. Verin

Honorable mentions: Lan. Moiraine. Androl & Pevara. (I loved what Brandon did with them. Just not enough book time for me to list them as favorites.)

Least favorites, in order:

1. Gawyn (after book 4)
  2. Elayne (after book 4)
  3. Egwene (until book 11)

Honorable mentions: Rand when he's in a self pitying mood. Perrin when Faile is kidnapped.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 8:54 PM, Wyndlerunner said:

I love

Rand- Just a beautiful transformative arc, and his interactions with LTT are some of the most interesting I've read

Egwene- I really relate to Egwene a lot, and I find her arc as Amyrlin to be one of the most fun to read even in the slump

Mat- Who doesn't love Mat? No seriously, who doesn't?

Nynaeve- As a sort of elder sibling figure/guardian, I really relate to her motives in joining the Ta'veren and Eggy on their journey. Also, her and Lan's relationship is so gosh dang healthy.

Aviendha- All the Aiel are super interesting, and Avi is just kind of a bean.

Perrin- Perrin is the kind of person I would look up to IRL, He's just so committed to his moral code, and that's something I share with him.

Moiraine- I have a thing for mentor characters. 

I hate

Cadsuane- To quote Brandon himself "Cadsuane, you're not my real mom. I want my real mom back, and her name is Moiraine"

The Shaido Aiel- couldn't they have just been done after Dumai's Wells

Liandrin- She's so obviously Black Ajah from the moment you meet her, and I really hate her for being the cause of Egwene's tenure as a Damane

Gawyn- Randland's number 1 Emo, who makes rash unplanned decisions

I also hate hate hate Cadsuane, Gawyn, AND I also despise Egwene. Egwene was so infuriating for me. "I'm going to disagree with every single thing Rand says just because I CAN." 

3 hours ago, EdmontonOilers#1Fan said:

I also despise Egwene. Egwene was so infuriating for me. "I'm going to disagree with every single thing Rand says just because I CAN." 

To each his own I suppose. I liked her quite a bit. And to play devil's advocate in her favor for a moment, Rand does make some fairly rash decisions, and holds a power that everyone assumes (not that this is true past [Event Redacted]) will cause him to go insane, sooner or later. Rand's character is all about changing the status quo, and uprooting it "Break all nations and bonds". Egwene on the other hand, is all about maintaining said status quo, given what a majority of her plotline is even about. It was natural that the two would come into conflict at one point or another, as they hold distinctly opposing ideals. (And they also happen to be the primary character reps for Saidin and Saidar, which is based off of Yin and Yang, funny how that all works isn't it ^_^). I won't say that Egwene wasn't wrong in being so contrary, but honestly, I think someone had to be in that situation.

Loved:

1. Mat

Hated: 

1. Everyone else (At least from books 7-10)

Alright, I did not hate everyone, there were some characters that I only found mildly annoying but it was super frusturating how nothing happened. At all. (Well, almost nothing) In 3 books. Mat was the only person who made nothing seem interesting.

Edited by Shard of Reading

• 2 weeks later...

*Inward sigh*

Am I the only one who really liked Gawyn? Of course, he took a little longer to figure his life out than everyone else, and he was a bit misguided (and hasty) in hating Rand, but for me his death was one of the most heart-wrenching. I don’t plan to argue against you all, but neither do I agree. 

After Gawyn, my favorites are probably Egwene, Mat, and Loial. But only by hairs; I still love everyone else. And I mean it when I say that, because there’s no characters that I hate, except for maybe the inherently evil ones. Even Cadsuane was just more like a bit annoying, and she’s the only important one I see that way. To me, it’s a little unfair to say I hate a character just because of the mistakes they made, their personality, or their mannerisms. All these people did the best with what they had, and made choices that were aimed for good.

Forgive my rant. I’m not trying to challenge anyone, I’m just stating what’s going through my head, and why I don’t hate anybody.

Edited by Rosharan A.C.

Mat, my friends. Mat all day, every day. I also quite like Rodel Ituralde and Talmanes. Perrin can be a bit boring, but I like him because he's an upstanding guy who manages to stay with one woman (who he marries) throughout the whole series. Galad is decent. Moiraine is pretty good too.

Not a huge fan of Min, or Egwene. I hate Cadsuane. 

Back and forth on Nynaeve.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Am I the only one who absolutely loves Cadsuane? She is my fav character. I am sorry guys, but she is awesome!!!!! And badass!!! Moraine is okay, but boring.. Mat is cool and his superpower is so whimsy ("wink wink"), it's awesome.  

Also, I have a special place for Tuon. 

I absolutely hate Rand.. 

Am I crazy??