Possible question for Brandon

FishyLD

2 hours ago, FishyLD said:

(Note - I have no idea if this has been asked already) What if, in Warbreaker, somebody used the Royal Locks as their color fuel for awakening? What colors would it change to after that?

You can't normally draw from something that's alive. If you cut off the Royal Locks, they can then be used to fuel Awakening, and I think they would be a really good fuel.

Edited by RShara

On 6/1/2019 at 9:41 AM, FishyLD said:

Would you even need to cut it off because hair is dead? Would it grow back with color? That's what I'm asking.

The Royal Locks are a little different. They're still somewhat alive until they've been detached from the scalp.

WeiryWriter

Does hair that is still attached to a person's head get cut if a Shardblade passes through it? If not, if that person had the Royal Locks could they change the color of the hair "below" the cut?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, hair gets cut. It counts as dead in my mind--but not to someone who has the Royal Locks. They could only change below, as you state, and wouldn't get their hair chopped off. (I'm not 100% sure on this, but I Think I've mentioned in Stormlight before that you can cut things like shells on living animals with a Shardblade, but then it doesn't cut the flesh.)

/r/books AMA 2015 (March 12, 2015)

The WoB is a little confused/confusing, but I'm pretty sure he's saying that the first cut wouldn't cut off the hair, and the person would only afterward be able to change the color of the hair between the cut and the scalp.

Well if the royal locks could be used for awakening, that opens up a whole host of possibilities. The royal locks are passed down through a family that traditionally marries a daughter off to a really powerful awakener. (The god King), which uses color.

If you could make your hair a really bright red, then chop it off, and regrow it, you have an almost unlimited source of awakening fuel. (Think Vivenna) 

22 hours ago, BookishOcelot said:

If you could make your hair a really bright red, then chop it off, and regrow it, you have an almost unlimited source of awakening fuel. (Think Vivenna) 

Or you could just go outside when you need to awaken.  Its not like color is the limiting factor with awakening.

Edited by Karger

23 hours ago, BookishOcelot said:

If you could make your hair a really bright red

Just to clarify, black is the most powerful color for awakening. 

But I like this, although I don't have any idea when it'd be useful. There are enough colors outside for awakening, and if you're locked in a colorless cell, there will be more precautions taken to make awakening impossible.