Stormlight: the Gathering

WhiteEmporer

All right, fellow Sanderfans! I know there are other Magic, the Gathering enthusiasts in your number besides me. In fact, they seem like they should go together, Brandon being such a big MTG nerd himself. One of the things I like about MTG is that the game is based on such an in-depth fantasy universe with highly developed lore. I also love fanmade MTG cards based on other fictional worlds. And who else has made an in-depth fantasy universe? Brandon. It's a match made in the spiritual realm.

Unfortunately, despite my searching, I have yet to find a well-made set of cards based on the world and story of the Stormlight Archive (there is some pretty good Mistborn stuff, though). So if anyone else is interested, I propose that we design the set here on the 17th Shard.

Here's my thoughts so far:

There should be a few different sets. The first I'd like to call Storms of Roshar. It will cover the world and story on Roshar from the beginning of Way of Kings up to the advent of the everstorm at the end of WoR. This will have very little in the way of surgebinding of course, but those cards can come later. We'll want to base cards and game mechanics off of some of Roshar's more interesting features: The Thrill, Death Rattles, Fabrials, Stormlight and Highstorms are some that I think could look cool in gameplay.

Set two would be Everstorm, based (so far) on Oathbringer. Now we could get into making cool cards based on surgebinding, radiants, and oaths, as well as the fused and voidlight, and a host of other cool things that we see after the desolation begins (including a card for Nightblood :D)

Assuming Brandon continues to expand the Knights Radiant as the story develops, it might be worth making set three Rise of the Radiants (after a couple more books come out).

Any takers? Let me know your ideas!
P.S.: If you want to design any actual cards, mtgcardsmith.com is a great place to go.

I don't yet,  but it would probably be a good idea. I haven't actually done much cardsmithing yet, except in my head. I have plenty of ideas, through.

Edit: @Turin Turambar Here's one. The stormlight mechanic is like energy from the Kaladesh set, only attatched to permanents. I degrades over time and must be replenished by other cards (like highstorm cards). One variety of shardplate (there may be more). Forgot to add an equip cost. 4, maybe?

(And yes, I need an icon for stormlight counters. Just using $ for now)

Adamant Shardplate.png

Edited by WhiteEmporer

• Chaos locked this topic