How does one coppy Copperminds?

Karger

The main problem I have found with Copperminds is that they cannot be copied.  One of the most important parts of any information storing or distributing system is the ability to copy information.  If unkeyed Copperminds are to become useful their needs to be a way for someone to rapidly make copies of them otherwise they will be of limited use.  Can anyone think of a way to make more then one memory from one Coppermind?

Couple of options. 

The boring, tedious option is to have people constantly re-reading or re-learning the same information, then storing it again and again, like a memory assembly line. This is the one method that I can think of that is certain to work.

The less certain method would be copper compounding. Less certain because we don't actually know what it does for sure. However, I have seen it theorized that a coppermind, if burned, would multiply the memory, allowing it to be stored in multiple copperminds.

Edited by WhiteEmporer

11 hours ago, WhiteEmporer said:

The less certain method would be copper compounding. Less certain because we don't actually know what it does for sure. However, I have seen it theorized that a coppermind, if burned, would multiply the memory, allowing it to be stored in multiple copperminds.

It would also be fairly easy to do with Medallions.

On 5/26/2019 at 11:35 AM, WhiteEmporer said:

The boring, tedious option is to have people constantly re-reading or re-learning the same information, then storing it again and again, like a memory assembly line. This is the one method that I can think of that is certain to work.

Furthermore, this is how Keepers distributed information to the next generation. Sazed recalls how he spent years listening to older Keepers reciting all their information to him to store in his copperminds.

On 26/05/2019 at 4:35 PM, WhiteEmporer said:

Couple of options. 

Sazed mentioned in one of the books about how he would spend so long listening to old Keepers as a way to preserve information when they passed. Can imagine a classroom of young Keepers listening to such boring lectures in order to keep this information.

53 minutes ago, Wander89 said:

Sazed mentioned in one of the books about how he would spend so long listening to old Keepers as a way to preserve information when they passed. Can imagine a classroom of young Keepers listening to such boring lectures in order to keep this information.

But they would need to listen to repeats of this boring lecture over and over again to make duplicates.

Well...it may not be the easiest method, but we know Ruin could alter the contents of copperminds so it stands to reason that Harmony can as well. A little discussed implication of this power is that it suggests that Harmony can read the contents of any coppermind without draining it and should therefore be able to upload its contents to other copperminds; keyed or unkeyed shouldn't matter. If a person (or Avatar?) with a more liberal attitude toward divine intervention were to replace Sazed they could potentially be persuaded to assist in the greatest and most efficient method of information dissemination ever conceived...I've always felt that the spread of information was key to giving people Autonomy AND maximizing their number of options (which Sazed claims is his responsibility as Harmony IIRC)...:D

35 minutes ago, hwiles said:

Well...it may not be the easiest method, but we know Ruin could alter the contents of copperminds so it stands to reason that Harmony can as well. A little discussed implication of this power is that it suggests that Harmony can read the contents of any coppermind without draining it and should therefore be able to upload its contents to other copperminds; keyed or unkeyed shouldn't matter. If a person (or Avatar?) with a more liberal attitude toward divine intervention were to replace Sazed they could potentially be persuaded to assist in the greatest and most efficient method of information dissemination ever conceived...I've always felt that the spread of information was key to giving people Autonomy AND maximizing their number of options (which Sazed claims is his responsibility as Harmony IIRC)...:D

Hmmm.  Perhaps an alloy of harmonium and copper will allow a Feruchemist to copy a memory without loosing it.

3 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Yes, it does. However you can get the power of multiplication up to ten thousands of times, if you use loudspeakers and microphones.

No you can't.  You are storing memories.  Unless you can listen to 1000 things at the same time that is not going to work.

Just now, Karger said:

No you can't.  You are storing memories.  Unless you can listen to 1000 things at the same time that is not going to work.

But you can do it the other way round, in the sense of having thousands of archivists listening to the same reader.

2 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

But you can do it the other way round, in the sense of having thousands of archivists listening to the same reader.

This still requires each archivist to create there own recordings.  Imagine if to get copy of Sanderson's next book you had to copy it by hand.  Or alternatively each copy of Sanderson was created by one person listening to the audio and taking notes,

• Chaos locked this topic